Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Greetings!

This is my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me .

Here's my situation. I've been a Sprint customer for 5 years. Currently I have a Sanyo 8200 phone and am wanting to upgrade to the Treo 650. Before I do, I'd like to get an honest opinion on a few questions I have about the 650 on the Sprint network.

--How does the audio on the 650, both talking and listening, compare to audio other phones?

--Regarding email, what is the transfer rate like when pulling mail from a POP3 account? I do have a Vision plan, and do not plan on upgrading to a business data plan, as I will not be needing to connect to an Exchange server or equivalent. I will be pulling mail from 2 or 3 POP3 addresses. Assuming that most of the mail is text only without attachments, does it take a long time to download messages?

--Is there an easy way to sync my data from OUTLOOK 2003 with the 650? I'd want to specify which folders get synced, as I have literally thousands of e-mails archived and would not want all of them on the phone.

--I would consider myself a power computer user. What is the learning curve like for someone such as myself to get everything up and running on the 650?

--Lastly, since I do not want to re-up my plan with Sprint at the moment, I'll be purchasing the phone outright. I discovered that Airport Wireless in the Atlanta airport is selling the 650 for $499. This seemed like a good deal -- is it?

I realize that I've asked a bunch of questions and don't expect everyone to respond to all of them. Any info and suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tony M
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M
    Greetings!

This is my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me .

Here's my situation. I've been a Sprint customer for 5 years. Currently I have a Sanyo 8200 phone and am wanting to upgrade to the Treo 650. Before I do, I'd like to get an honest opinion on a few questions I have about the 650 on the Sprint network.

--How does the audio on the 650, both talking and listening, compare to audio other phones?
    It's acceptable. You can find better, but it's not bad.
    --Regarding email, what is the transfer rate like when pulling mail from a POP3 account? I do have a Vision plan, and do not plan on upgrading to a business data plan, as I will not be needing to connect to an Exchange server or equivalent. I will be pulling mail from 2 or 3 POP3 addresses. Assuming that most of the mail is text only without attachments, does it take a long time to download messages?

--Is there an easy way to sync my data from OUTLOOK 2003 with the 650? I'd want to specify which folders get synced, as I have literally thousands of e-mails archived and would not want all of them on the phone.
    Unless you're pulling hundreds of emails at a time, it should be pretty quick. We're only talking, what...1-2K for a message?

The good news is that the Treo has a built in email program (Versamail)
    But, the bad news is the Treo has a built in email program (Versamail)

That's not a typo. You'll be much happier if you never bother with Versafail and get something like Chatter.

Your Treo CD will contain Palm Desktop along w/Hotsync. It will also have conduits to sync with Outlook.
    --I would consider myself a power computer user. What is the learning curve like for someone such as myself to get everything up and running on the 650?
    Have no idea what a "power computer user" is...
    Basically, RTFM. If you can't figure something out, search the forums here. If you're still stumped, feel free to ask!
    --Lastly, since I do not want to re-up my plan with Sprint at the moment, I'll be purchasing the phone outright. I discovered that Airport Wireless in the Atlanta airport is selling the 650 for $499. This seemed like a good deal -- is it?
    Since you're buying it outright, without a contract, it's probably a good deal. Look around, but make sure it it a Sprint phone, and not a GSM, Earthlink or VZW branded phone.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Just to confirm, when you mentioned Chatter, were you referring to the software avaliable at:
    http://www.chatteremail.com/ ?

Regards,

Tony
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Just to confirm, when you mentioned Chatter, were you referring to the software avaliable at:
    http://www.chatteremail.com/ ?

Regards,

Tony
    That is indeed the Chatter I speak of!

Great email program that in addition to POP3 also supports IMAP with true push email, should you be interested.

In addition to being a great program, if you ever have problems or questions about it, the developer is second to none. Great customer support. (There is a Chatter forum here, if you didn't know already)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."