Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    very new to forums and treos, just googled to get here. Here is my ?, I have been with Sprint for 4 Years, and qualify for a $150/200 rebate. I have never owned a PDA or smart phone, but have been looking at getting one. Well two weeks ago decide on the Palm Treo, but I know a old College buddy lets just say in the bussiness. I talked to him and he said to wait for a new Treo that would be out first of November, that it would have a new version of MS windows, a better camara and higher speed modem, plus better Blue tooth. Well reading here it seems everyone is saying the same thing as he told me.

But my ? is since I have never owned a PDA/smartphone, is it worth the wait?

Also I really don't know the difference between PALM OS and Windows OS on the smart phone, is the new Windows better? Please take it easy on me as I am new to the PDA arena, also remeber I know little about Palm or MSOS. Just trying to understand the difference. My thought is since I have never used PALM OS, and that the new Treo with little better upgrade in features that it will not hurt me to start with the new Windows OS instead of palm, is that correct? Reading these forums I understand the users who are attacted to the palm OS, but for someone totally new will the MS OS be as Good? I love the Form factor of the Treo smartphone, I am committed to get a Treo my delima is do I wait or not? One thing I read seems to say that the Palm OS is more user friendly, but I read were te new MS OS coming out will be as user friendly with more and better features is that correct?

I thought of getting a used one but friend says the one coming in November will have different OS. So to wait. All I can say is he is vert much in Yall industry and knows for sure it is coming. FYI, says Sprint will have it first in Novemeber.

Oh yes, I must stay with Sprint as I have a great deal and bigtime corp. disc. with them.

Thanks for any advice.

Troy
    Last edited by tj0827; 09/17/2005 at 06:33 PM.
    If you wait for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting. Get the 650 now.
    My two cents....I had the 600 for two years and just upgraded to the 650 this week .
    I love it! ....I was going to wait but figured, even if a "new" Palm OS based Treo was announced in the next week or so... it will take a year for the it to be stable, new apps, etc....I plan to enjoy my 650 and will look at things again in Sept 06...
    there is no friggin way that a brand new Treo will hit the streets in 6 weeks - there would be loads more speculation, sightings, roadshows, etc. than there here been

go for the 650!
    Welcome to TreoCentral, Troy.

As with any technology, you would tend to defer until you get the best one. This one is no different, if you wait, you may not get to experience the additional benefits Treo can provide.

There are both success and pit falls for its implementation. Other platforms are adding new functions to their arsenal, either its good or bad, you are the only one that can make that determination.

I suggest you trial a unit for 14 days or so depending on the provider and see for yourself. We will try help you along the way.
    How about the HTC Wizard & Apache ??
    They seem to be more and more attractive .
    If T670 has nothing more to offer besides windooze..
    I am going to dump my Treo, and a lot more will folllow the same direction .
    The 650 is great. You will read many posts here about people having trouble. However, the majority of people don't have any significant problems.

That being said, the treo is a mini computer and does require some degree of computer technology skills. You don't have to be an expert, but you have to be willing to learn and troubleshoot if you are going to get the most out of it. I am the IT person at my business and I can tell you that the majority of people I deal with would be very frustrated with the treo. Not to say they are dumb, but they just don't have the techie skills to learn to use it.

So, the bottom line is, no need to wait for the next new one. The 650 now is great, really amazing what you can do with it. Just be prepared to read these forums, the manual, etc, and be willing and able to learn.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies and info. I will thus be getting the Treo 650 next week. I got some more advice last night to get one via Ebay, and save my 2 year upgrade disc with sprint to use later if I wish to upgrade to the Future new Treo, Which I was told would be late November, but as someone said here that is unlikely.

My only true concern was is the new Windows mobile that much better than the current Palm OS. From what I have read on these forums since my post, plus other Treo sites, that seems to be debatable! So I will jump in and try and buy one off Ebay, and thus leave the option for upgrading later. To answer a Question, I am not and IT guy, but not Computer Illiterate, and I am sure given time and research I will figure out all the things I can do and need to do with the new Treo 650.

Has anyone bought a 650 off Ebay, is that a decent plan? No one here really said one thing about either windows mobile 5.0 or palm OS being better, curious on that.

Again thanks for the info, this is a great site and one I will be using the next month or so as I learn all I can about my new device!

Troy
    Wait till the CITA or whatever is called at the end of the month.

Either way you should able to save 200+- on a 650. It's like a 05 model year car vs. a 06 redesigned car. The last model year should have all the bugs worked out by now.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Thanks,

That is good advice, I can wait another 2 weeks and hope the price drops further.

Does anyone know if the new windows 5.0 makes there windows operating system any simpler for one handed operation? That seems to be the biggest advantage that Palm OS has over windows it great simplicity and intuitiveness for one handed operation.

When looking at the devices earlier before deciding, that w2as one of the big plus of the Treo, where as the Windows version of PDA phones seemed more complicated.
    I've had a 650 since feb. and love it. Putting windows mobile into the shell of our Treo won't give them a treo. I know they really want a treo, they should just get a 650. I would not get the rumored 670, I prefer the simplicity, speed, and stability of the Palm OS.
    Go for it! 650 all the way
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827
    Thanks,

That is good advice, I can wait another 2 weeks and hope the price drops further.

Does anyone know if the new windows 5.0 makes there windows operating system any simpler for one handed operation? That seems to be the biggest advantage that Palm OS has over windows it great simplicity and intuitiveness for one handed operation.

When looking at the devices earlier before deciding, that w2as one of the big plus of the Treo, where as the Windows version of PDA phones seemed more complicated.
    The Palm OS has 10 years of developed 3rd party software in play. If you can think of it -- there is probably Palm OS software out there for it. Windows Mobile 5.0 cannot boast anything near that at the moment. . . . . . maybe in 2 to 3 years. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The Palm OS has 10 years of developed 3rd party software in play. If you can think of it -- there is probably Palm OS software out there for it. Windows Mobile 5.0 cannot boast anything near that at the moment. . . . . . maybe in 2 to 3 years. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    But other than Chatter, I have basically the same type of apps on either device.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But other than Chatter, I have basically the same type of apps on either device.
    Listen to the Monkey.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/19/2005 at 09:25 PM.
    MONKEY
    George Michael

Why can't you do it?
    Why can't you set your monkey free?
    Always giving into it -
    Do you love your monkey or do you love me?
    Why can't you do it
    Why do I have to share my baby with a monkey?

Oh, I count to ten
    But I don't know how and I don't know when
    To open my eyes
    If you kiss me again
    Like you did just now, like you did just then
    I've had the rest
    Now it's time I had the best
    So you tell me that you won't do anymore

Well I'd write your heart a letter
    But I think you know me better
    If I keep on askin' baby, maybe
    I'll get what I'm askin' for

Why can't you do it?
    Always giving in to it -
    Do you love your monkey or do you love me?
    Why can't you do it

Oh I hate your friends
    But I don't know how and I don't know when
    To open your eyes
    Yes the monkey's back again
    Do you want him now like you did back then?
    I tried my best
    But your head is such a mess
    So I guess that I don't want you anymore

Well you say you care about me
    That you just can't do without me
    But you keep on dancin' baby
    'Til that monkey has you on the floor

Why can't you do it?
    Always giving into it
    Do you love the monkey or do you love me?
    Why can't you do it

Don't look now
    There's a monkey on your back
    Don't look now
    There's a monkey on you...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  17. ils
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827
    save my 2 year upgrade disc with sprint to use later if I wish to upgrade to the Future new Treo
    I don't know about anyone else but in my case, everytime I upgraded/changed my phone, Sprint reset my timer. And for the last 5 years, every phone I have, I paid full price (and at a retail store). The fine print on Sprint website mentioned that to be eligible for the renewal contract rebate, you have to be on the same phone for at least 12 or 24 months.
    And about buying phone off ebay, be very careful what you are paying for.
    Windows is very nice but for simplicity in operation and usage, go for Palm. I've used PDAs for years and this is the first time I am exposed to Palm and I like it. A lot less prone to crash.
    And did anyone mentioned that the 650 has a touch screen?
    Apparently the Treo 650 has reached one handed UI nirvana, which I expect WM 5 not to match any time soon. There is however some things you can do on a Windows Mobile device which you just cant do on a POS device

e.g.
    You cant open PDF's natively without using pirated software.
    You cant use wifi without adding the huge $150 enfora sledge.
    You cant use VOIP software like Skype.

There is only a small selection of browsers on POS, whereas WM has Netfront 3.3 (multi-tabbed browsing), Opera coming soon, Thunderhawk, and the Mozilla port Minimo (also multi-tabbed).

At present Palm OS may be easier to use, but at the expense of limited power and flexibility.

However WM5 IS a new OS, and I expect it to have widespread teething problems. A lot of software will not be compatible. The Treo 670 will be further hamstrung by having a non-standard resolution (240x240) which will mean even less software will work. The situation will however improve over time.

So, in short, if you were expecting to recieve PDF's via e-mail or download from a web site, you need to go WM. IF you have a skype account currently on your desktop you need to go WM.
    If you want to start you software investment on a platform that will give you a very wide range of choices for devices (vs only one or two choices on the POS side (Treo and what else?)) you should go WM now, instead of in two years time. (for example there is a number of WM phone devices with GPS built-in, one with wifi G so far, one with a 3GB hard drive, one with wifi, edge, bluetooth and a FM radio )

Remember, this is VHS vs Betamax all over again.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Apparently the Treo 650 has reached one handed UI nirvana, which I expect WM 5 not to match any time soon. There is however some things you can do on a Windows Mobile device which you just cant do on a POS device

e.g.
    You cant open PDF's natively without using pirated software.
    You cant use wifi without adding the huge $150 enfora sledge.
    You cant use VOIP software like Skype.
    Agreed, but in the interests of balance it might be worth pointing out another area in which the POS Treo seems to have an advantage: imap email. The imap implementation in WM5 seems fairly buggy:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/arti...n=expand,42960

(imap is on page 2). On the 650 though it's solid as rock (for me at least )

I think if I were to buy a WM5 device (and I might well) I'd give imap a try but would switch to exchange if I had the sort of problems decribed in the article. If you're an imap user and don't have the luxury of having the option to switch, you might want to avoid WM5, at least until the bugs are removed.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Remember, this is VHS vs Betamax all over again.
    Except that there's Symbian too, people change mobile phone's much more often than video recorders, and the lock-in (in this case 3rd-party software) might not be as great (even if you back the VHS-equivalent you'll still end up paying for for software upgrades).

FWIW, in our household, VHS is as dead as betamax.
    I do not expect MS will be fixing that behaviour any time soon. They WANT you to use Exchange ActiveSync

Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast