Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    THansk for all yalls advice. It seems new Treo will have EDVO or Wi-Fi, plus other upgrades. The question for me is not what has the old operating system been like, but what is the new WM 5.0 UI like? Will it be one-handed navigation? I the last 24-48 hours have been researching this and it seems the new UI in WM 5.0 will make it very much like the PALM so that it will be almost the exact one handed navigation, is that correct? If that is the case maybe that is why Palm has chosen to go with WM 5.0 because it will know work well with the Treo hardware and be one-handed navigation. See I have never been a Palm or WM user and I am totally new, was just fixing to buy a Treo when I heard about new Treo. Thanks to these Forums and advice from you good people I will wait for an announcement to choose. I agree that Palm is awesome due to its one-handed features and UI and simplicity. But if this new WM 5.0 does the same and the new hardware has Wi-Fi, EVOD, better camera, more RAM/ROM, etc. why would I not go with the new Phone. For me there are two big things how will the WM 5.0 work, does it still give me one-handed use, and is there a big upgrade to the hardware.

The problem is that the new WM5.0 is so new I donít think anyone can say if they have truly made the UI simpler like Palms for one-handed navigation. IF it is no better and the upgrades are not that big of deal I will go with the 650, and wait for an up grade Palm Treo with EDVO and Wi-Fi in 06.

Oh yes, thanks also for telling me about the fact if I change the Phone on my account the clock starts ticking and I must wait another 2 yrs for the discount! ( Ichecked after reading that here and that is the case) I had thought about picking up a 650 on e-bay and then waiting till the spring for the new Treo and using the discount then. Thanks for alerting me that I cannot do that. So I will wait for the announcement and then pick up the 650 more than likely, but if the New Treo is really that much better in terms of hardware upgrade and the WM 5.0 is just as good as Palm I will wait for the new Treo.

Also curious does Sprint always get the new Treo first before the Other Wireless providers?

Thanks for all yalls Help

Troy
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I would wait for the wm treo, that is if it's coming early next year.
    I just gave the same above advice to my ex-wife (yes, we're friends).

Most of the speculation is windows mobile will become the defacto mobile OS. Palm has already announced the adoption of WM so unless you want to buy a bunch of Palm apps only to have to dump them in a year, I'd wait.
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=56096

I got mine today, so I can now add to the list with my very brief real-world experiences.

Good
    - Looks like D-Pad/keyboard on-screen navigation is implemented better than I expected. I can do most things I need to do without touching the screen. But see below.

Bad
    - On-screen navigation isn't implemented as well as with the Treo 600/650. By that I mean that it isn't as obvious how to move from here to there. For example...If I'm using PIE and I've got the focus on the URL field I can't use the joystick to move the focus somewhere else. I've got to use the Tab key on the keyboard first. Then I've got the focus on a link on the web page and can now use the joystick to "tab" around and change focus.

- GUI for phone app is not optimized well for a screen this small. The number buttons are too small. This is the same GUI they use for the 6600 which has a significantly larger screen. A screen this small needs a phone app (and, I'd argue, any portrait-oriented app) with fewer, larger thumb-friendly on-screen buttons.

- It needs more dedicated application buttons. In particular, I think it would benefit from a dedicated "Menu" button. Instead, most apps end up wasting one of their precious "soft" buttons for pulling up the application menu.

- Another trait missing that is found on the Palm OS is what mode the "Shift" is in. Microsoft thinks they know better than us and likes to auto-capitalize the first letter of fields. Fine. But at least let me know that you've auto-shifted so that I know to manually un-shift if I need to start a word with a lowercase letter.

* In short, usability is classic "Pocket PC" (i.e., poor) as compared to the Palm OS.

Ugly
    - What an ugly beast this thing is. My Treo 650 is a thing of beauty in comparison. Cheap silver plastic is reminiscent of my old Treo 300, though I think my Treo 300 seemed better.
    This is from a forum about the new sprint 6700, which run wm5. I do not expect one handed navigation to be as good, but there are other advantages. If one handed navigation is very important for you a Treo 650 may be better.

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    ...unless you want to buy a bunch of Palm apps only to have to dump them in a year, I'd wait.
    I thought ppc has some kind of emulator that runs palm apps.
    Styletap. http://styletap.com/

Native is always better though.

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'll remember that.
    Remember the key word too, emulator. Some apps will run, some won't. (I tried it a few months back, but it didn't impress me)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    hey naivete - i've tried to do the emulator stuff- can't do it -- I'm your average Joe, no technical back ground, and I couldn't really figure it out. U may want to consdier this if your not technically sound (or dumb like me!)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Remember the key word too, emulator. Some apps will run, some won't. (I tried it a few months back, but it didn't impress me)
    Kind of disappointed at the short list of compatible apps.

http://styletap.crmhelp.net/index.ph...2=Applications
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    hey naivete - i've tried to do the emulator stuff- can't do it -- I'm your average Joe, no technical back ground, and I couldn't really figure it out. U may want to consdier this if your not technically sound (or dumb like me!)
    Since I've joined, I got for my posts. So I'm probably being viewed as dumb and brick like.
    maybe it's just your user name...

Seriously there is a core of helpful people here that will assist with even the nOObest of nOObs which we all have been.

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I did consider leaving this forum and go somewhere else, but I think I'll stay.
    Last edited by naivete; 09/22/2005 at 11:11 AM.
    Looks like you'll be waiting now - given the Engadget leak of the 700w.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Well, actually I think I will go with the 650 nad wait and hope the next Palm treo will be a bigger upgrade. The price for the 650 wil be much lower jopefully, and 700W, seems to mean that mabey in the Spring Palm will offer a much better Palm OS Treo.
    Yeah, I was thinking that with the newer model coming out, the 650 may be a bargain, at least until they discontinue it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    If I were in your shoes (with no collection of PalmOS software that I already bought, I'd try and find a Windows PocketPC OS smartphone (probably another model) and see if the UI feels intuitive or not before ruling out the Windoze Treo. That said, if you tried the Treo 650 and like it, you probably won't want to go the windows route. The OS for windows has more advanced features than PalmOS (which is showing it's age, but is mature and has a huge base of good sofware and popularity). Palm is a little more minimalist, and I happen to really like it!

The one thing the Treo 700w would have really going for it would be EVDO (which is orders of magnitude faster that 1xrtt (or whatever it's called). As long as the carrier doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for unlimited data access, EVDO would make a huge difference. The last time I checked, Verizon was expensive for unlimited data plan (like 40 or 50 bucks per month on top of whatever your voice plan costs). Last I checked, Sprint is $15 extra for data (or $30 if you use a windows smartphone device). I think I read somewhere that EVDO would be around $60/month for data.
    If you don't want to spend that kind of cash, I'd just get the Treo650 and enjoy PalmOS for it's beauty and abundance of progams. I'd recommend Sprint over Verizon, rather than buy Verizon without the data plan.

Another option which you may not have considered is to get a bluetooth phone and to get a bluetooth PDA. (The LifeDrive would be really cool as it has bluetooth, and wifi.
    This would be nice if you have a wifi network at home and work, etc. Any you could get a slower (exactly how fast or slow, i don't know) bluetooth connection from your PDA to your phone for browsing the net,email, and etc. If you bought a Tungsten (I don't know the model numbers but a new one something like 'X' is coming out), plus a bluetooth phone for probably the same or less of a price than a Treo. You would have the advantage that your phone does not "rebot". You would have the disadvantage of carrying and charging two devices, but the bluetooth phones are basically pretty small and reasonably cheap, so it's probably nowhere near as bad as you think!

Anyway, welcome to TreoCentral, and it's great to see that you are asking questions ahead of time and doing research to get a product that you will like and use. I hope I gave you some more ideas and/or reasons than the other good ones so far in this thread. In my opinion, nothing beats the combination of ask/try/repeat multiple times before you buy!

great luck!
    --
    Bob
    After watching that rather depressing press conference Monday, I realized that the next Treo 'PALM' upgrade will not happen for quite sometime. Since I don't want to switch to the dark side yet, I figured I could not wait any longer to upgrade from my T600. So, I went ahead and ordered a T650 to hold me over until the next Treo 'PALM' comes out. I was really hoping that there would have been a PALM upgrade coming out by the beginning of the year, but that is not going to happen. So Palm got me for the T650 and will get me again when the 'PALM' upgrade comes out too. DAMN, I WISH I WEREN'T HOOKED ON PALM!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    After watching that rather depressing press conference Monday, I realized that the next Treo 'PALM' upgrade will not happen for quite sometime. Since I don't want to switch to the dark side yet, I figured I could not wait any longer to upgrade from my T600. So, I went ahead and ordered a T650 to hold me over until the next Treo 'PALM' comes out. I was really hoping that there would have been a PALM upgrade coming out by the beginning of the year, but that is not going to happen. So Palm got me for the T650 and will get me again when the 'PALM' upgrade comes out too. DAMN, I WISH I WEREN'T HOOKED ON PALM!!
    Does this mean you're now "treosix50"?

I know that "hooked on a Palm" feeling. But my gut tells me that my next Treo will more likely than not be a WM device (HTC help me).
    Last edited by dstrauss; 09/28/2005 at 10:35 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    A new PALM Treo seems increasingly unlikely.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12