1.    #1  
    ... by itself !!!!

Hi guys ! I'm new here , just got my Treo that I bought from Ebay , the seller claimed the phone is in mint condition and barely use (YEAH RIGHT) ... it has a few scratches (look like has been dropped or something) .... anyway ... I have a question for you guys ... is this normal that Wireless mode would turn off by itself ?? if so ... how do I go the setting to set off this auto turn off wireless mode ?

your helps will be much appriciated .

thanks in advance .
    Are you talking about the phone radio itself, or the network connection for data? Also, what cellular provider are are you using?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    the connection to make phone call .

btw I have a Treo 600 , I can listen MP3 on this phone right ?
  4.    #4  
    huh?? no one can't even answer my question ?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay
    the connection to make phone call .

btw I have a Treo 600 , I can listen MP3 on this phone right ?
    Broken radio or loose SIM card connection (internal). Does it even connect at all or it connects and loses connection?

Where are you located and who's your service provider?

Yes, you can listen to MP3 with the Treo 600.
  6.    #6  
    sorry but i'm new to this ... what's "radio" exactly ?
    and if the problem is SIM card connection , is there a way I can fix it myself ?
    I'm from Canada and using Fido , but it never connect to Fido ... it is always roaming on Rogers line .
    and yes it does connect but it will just disconnect itself for no reason even if I don't touch the phone.
    Cell phones are referred, in the technical term: transceivers (combined words of transmitter and receiver radio).

Anyway, you've answered the question. Your service is Fido but your phone fails to connect. At this point, I am under the impression your SIM works with other Fido supported phones.

Does Fido have a way of checking what phone you currently have your SIM loaded into? They may not support Treo. Did you try calling Fido (without telling Fido you have a Treo) that you have a phone connection problem?

There could be other issues, such as older SIM card version as we had here in the states where some Cingular (GSM) users needed to change to a new SIM (not only because of the merge with AT&T).

The loose SIM issue is resolved by cutting a sheet of paper, same size as the SIM card and putting that behind the SIM card so it lifts the SIM card closer to the connection. That usually fixes the loose SIM card issue. This issue has been reported to Treo 650 phones so it may not necessarily be your issue.

With regards to Fido and Treo, there are other Canada based users that could probably assists.
  8.    #8  
    Anyway, you've answered the question. Your service is Fido but your phone fails to connect. At this point, I am under the impression your SIM works with other Fido supported phones.
    -the problem is not that phone does not connect , it does connect to the network line but roaming on Rogers line (that's what it is written on the phone at the left ) . Whenever I push on the button on the top of the phone (to turn on the wireless connection to be able to make call) it will stay connect for awhile or sometime longer and suddenly it will disconnect ithelf (wireless connection will turn off , can't make or receive call ) and I would have to turn on the wireless connection again

Does Fido have a way of checking what phone you currently have your SIM loaded into? They may not support Treo. Did you try calling Fido (without telling Fido you have a Treo) that you have a phone connection problem?
    -I don't think Fido can tell what phone i'm using and once again I don't have problem of connection , it is the phone itself that turn off the wireless network

There could be other issues, such as older SIM card version as we had here in the states where some Cingular (GSM) users needed to change to a new SIM (not only because of the merge with AT&T).
    -yeah i'm using an old SIM card , but I don't think this could be the problem , if the phone doesn't accept the an old sim card then I wouldn't get any connection at all

The loose SIM issue is resolved by cutting a sheet of paper, same size as the SIM card and putting that behind the SIM card so it lifts the SIM card closer to the connection. That usually fixes the loose SIM card issue. This issue has been reported to Treo 650 phones so it may not necessarily be your issue.
    - I thought of that too , ... did it , let's see if this can fix the problem

thanks for taking your time to write back , much appriciated

The fact that your Treo drops connection is still within the issue of phone connection.

Can you confirm if your SIM is on other phone that you have continues connection?

The Rogers tower may be stronger in your area, some phone companies allow sharing of towers but if roaming is billable for you, can you call Fido and have them check if you are indeed connected and roaming with Rogers (that is, after you resolve the connection drop issue).

Keep us updated.
    Silly question...do you SEE your wireless mode turning off? Or is it simply off when you wake up your Treo?

My thinking is that maybe your device is soft resetting? As you may or may not know, the Treo radio does not turn itself back on after a soft reset....unless a 3rd party app is used for this function. So if you device crashes, and you don't know about it, the Treo reboots, but phone part is off.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Oneway,

Can you also confirm if your phone is fully unlock? If it is, it should say FIDO or FIDO roaming at least. Where are you in Canada?

With the merging of FIDO and Rogers, how does that affect you in terms of billing?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Silly question...do you SEE your wireless mode turning off? Or is it simply off when you wake up your Treo?

My thinking is that maybe your device is soft resetting? As you may or may not know, the Treo radio does not turn itself back on after a soft reset....unless a 3rd party app is used for this function. So if you device crashes, and you don't know about it, the Treo reboots, but phone part is off.
    yes silly question indeed , but for newbe like me , I have no idea what's wrong with the phone ... that's why i'm here to ask .

yes I do see the wireless mode turn off ...and it also freeze about 5-15 seconds sometime .

how can I tell if it is soft reset or not ? and how do I "hard" reset it ?

thanks for the reply .
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Oneway,

Can you also confirm if your phone is fully unlock? If it is, it should say FIDO or FIDO roaming at least. Where are you in Canada?

With the merging of FIDO and Rogers, how does that affect you in terms of billing?
    the seller claimed that the phone is unlocked !? what's the difference between fully unlock and partial unlock ? and how can I tell ? and how do you "FULLY" unlock it ?

I'm from Montreal , and i'm not so sure about the merging billing ... from what I know ... I read on Fido website about a mont or 2 ago ... that Fido clients have to pay an extra 5$ each month to get a larger network , which mean will be able to use both network , and the phone will switch automaticly from one network to another . but somehow ... I'm still able to get both network ( with my other phone )

btw when I tried to make a search for available network to use on my Treo ... I only get Rogers .
    Last edited by OneWay; 09/18/2005 at 10:45 PM.
    If you're seeing it turn wireless off, then odds are it's a faulty radio or a loose sim card. Could also be software conflict, but that is less likely. Any 3rd party apps installed? If so, you might want to list them here...

Hard reset: Hold down power button and press the reset button. When you see Palm logo, let go of power button...you should see a message on the screen asking you if you want to delete all data...press up...

Note that this will erase everything on your device, so if you care about your data....back it up first.

Good luck.[I]
    - Albert Einstein
  15.    #15  
    nope , no software on it .

after I put a piece of paper under the SIm card , the wireless mode turn off itself less often , but last night ... I left the phone on my desk and this morning the wrielss mode was off again .

will test it for few more days . if problem persist again will try to put another layer of paper .
    If wireless mode turned off overnight, check to see if the device reset. In the phone app call #*377#
    - Albert Einstein
  17.    #17  
    #*377# does not work but #*377 dial work .

this is what i got :

"A reset was caused on **/**/05 at **:** pm while running "Phone"

HALRadioOmap.c,Line:***,Host wake not asserted in time "

ok i need someone to translate this for me please