1.    #1  
    With today's release of the PPC-6700 that is EV-DO capable, when do you all think that the EV-DO service will be available everywhere? I've been on the fence about buying a 650, but at the same honestly I don't want a Windows mobile device. With the 6700 out now, I'm being pushed to waiting for the next generation Treo to make sure it has EV-DO capabilities. Broadband speeds wirelessly? I'm there.....

Out of curiousity I checked my area and the EV service isn't even offered in most areas- just a few spots around Houston (near where I live) have it, but most areas don't. Ultimately if it's going to be 2-3 years before the standard is available to everyone (particularly to someone like me who lives in a rural area) I might as well get a 650 and not worry about it, but I would love to have EV-DO and will wait if I can get it in a year or so.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I wrestled with this, too, and decided to do both.... get a 650 for now, and whatever is available later once evdo becomes a no brainer, get that too. If you're like me, you'll be drooling over some new device later, regardless of whether or not you make a move now. 2-3 years is an eternity in the tech domain. jmho
    EV-DO is CDMA, so that means Sprint,Verizon or . . . .

My assumption is that if a carrier is beginning to sell a phone with this capability, that a nationwide rollout of service cannot be far behind. I also assume that an EV-DO phone will work on their current service, as well, just not at EV-DO speeds.

My expectation is that I will have a Sprint Treo "700" w/ nationwide EV-DO in my hands by the 1st QTR of 2006. (Actually, I hoping for Christmas.) Maybe service will not be nationwide to start, but I cannot believe it will be 2 to 3 years.. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/16/2005 at 12:25 PM.