Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I'm a 2 day old Newbie!! Just migrated from palm m505 of 5+ yrs. to Treo 650 (VZW). I've tried both the stock sync software from PalmOne and the free demo from Intellisync. Problem is that in Contacts, Tasks, and Memos, the 'categories' that I had used to sort items on the m505 did not transfer over to the Treo 650. I tried manually adding the same categories to the 650 but every thing still just goes to the "unfiled" or "all' categories.
    Any ideas on if and how to resolve?
    Thanks!

    Dr. Sandman

    p.s. PC = MS Outlook 2000 on Windows XP
  2. #2  
    If you hotsynced your 650 with the same name and data as from your 505, you are screwed. You need to do a clean install with the Treo 650 CD. Also, the 650 pim is different than the 505. Start fresh. I would even suggest deleting your old Palm desktop before you install the new. Also, delete the Palm folder in Program Files or at least rename it.

    By the way, you will need to do a hard reset on your Treo.
  3. #3  
    I beamed my PIM data (Contacts, Appointments, Tasks, Memos) from my T3 to my Treo 650 and the categories came along. . . .

    If you want to try this method, you will have to hard reset your Treo and give it a new userid, or else you will duplicate all your contacts.

    By the way, if you upgraded to the Treo 650 by just hot syncing to your 505 userid, we may have another issue to fix. . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I beamed my PIM data (Contacts, Appointments, Tasks, Memos) from my T3 to my Treo 650 and the categories came along. . . .

    If you want to try this method, you will have to hard reset your Treo and give it a new userid, or else you will duplicate all your contacts.

    By the way, if you upgraded to the Treo 650 by just hot syncing to your 505 userid, we may have another issue to fix. . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    OK, I did sync to the 505 id. So help me fix that? Is there a way to beam all contacts at once?
    Dr. Sandman
  5. #5  
    Hi Dr. Sandman.

    Here is a thread that might help:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...418#post769418 (start at post #1)

    If you still have the 505. . .
    Install the 650 desktop from the CD
    Hard reset the Treo 650
    sync the 650 to a new userid
    Beam the PIM data over to the 650 from the 505
    sync the 650 again -- the data will go back upstream to your 650 userid on the desktop
    start adding 3rd party sofware fresh from scratch. . .

    If you select beam category and then select all in the next screen. . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/16/2005 at 09:55 AM.
  6. #6  
    Why can't he just install the 650 cd and use the Outlook conduit? Then when he syncs, all his Outlook data will move to the new Treo.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Perry, I'll give this a go. Everything else seems to be running fine, and my old Palm desktop was removed by the new one (the old folder is empty and the new one is in another on the pc) so I'm wondering other than not getting the categories, which it looks like I can resolve via beaming, will I really need to remove and reinstall the 650 desktop and other software?
    Dr. Sandman
  8. #8  
    You should be okay with the 650 desktop install. I would, however, intall 3rd party apps fresh to the 650 with the new userid, just to be safe. Old device settings within 3rd party software brought forward thru a hotsync from an old userid can give the 650 some "issues."

    Cheers, Perry.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Why can't he just install the 650 cd and use the Outlook conduit? Then when he syncs, all his Outlook data will move to the new Treo.
    I am not an Outlook user, so I cannot say yes or no, however, I believe Dr. Sandman is saying that the categories did not come thru to the Treo using this method. . . . .
  10.    #10  
    O.K., thanks Perry and others . After several different attempts, this is what I finally did:
    ->hard reset on Treo;
    ->sync under new User Name w/ tasks, contacts, and memos set to "do nothing";
    ->manually added categories on Treo exactly as they are entered on the m505;
    ->then, category by category, beamed each complete category from m505 to Treo - upon receiving in the Treo, had to be sure to choose which category to accept the received beam into;
    ->sync'd again with "syncronize" function activated for the above three applications.

    Only downside is that now I have to wait for a reference application (Tarascon) vendor to update their records to reflect the new user name. Can't use the reference until they do (I love projects like this on Friday nights! )

    So far so good. I will update when I have added/changed records to see if they continue to sync as they should.
    Last edited by dr. sandman; 09/17/2005 at 03:02 AM.
    Dr. Sandman
  11. #11  
    Glad to hear you are moving in a forward direction . . . .

    Cheers, Perry
  12.    #12  
    Still not getting the Contacts to sync with MS Outlook 2000 as I would like them. I probably should have detailed this in the original post, but here is some more info (please bare with the length ):
    My wife has (and LOVES) an old Kyocera 6035. I had the PC set up with both the Kyocera and the Palm m505 (Chapura/Mirror) desktops loaded, with the Kyocera via a serial cable dock and the m505 via a USB dock. She doesn't use the Calandar, just the Contacts. We both use many of the same contacts, but I have a huge amount that she doesn't use or need. So with that in mind, on the m505, I copied all of the contacts that she uses and put them in a category with her name. Prior to the 650, this worked flawlessly, we had duplicates on the MS Outlook contacts page on the PC, but that was no prob., if either of us chose the "all" category in Contacts on our PDA's we would have the duplicates, but she would use her category, and I would use "unfiled" which would give me all of my contacts. So now with the 650, even after multiple hard resets and finally beaming each category from the m505 to the 650 as described above, I am ending up with duplicates in the "unfiled" category. However, her file seems to be intact, that is unless I delete one of the duplicates (apparently the wrong duplicate) from the "unfiled" which results in it being removed from her category. What a pain!
    Any way, I was wondering if anyone has used Chapura's KeySuite with any success?? At $50 I really hate to buy it if it won't resolve anything. But I think I will do the trial and see if this helps. Unless anyone has other suggestions??

    Thanks for any help.
    Dr. Sandman
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. sandman
    Still not getting the Contacts to sync with MS Outlook 2000 as I would like them. I probably should have detailed this in the original post, but here is some more info (please bare with the length ):
    My wife has (and LOVES) an old Kyocera 6035. I had the PC set up with both the Kyocera and the Palm m505 (Chapura/Mirror) desktops loaded, with the Kyocera via a serial cable dock and the m505 via a USB dock. She doesn't use the Calandar, just the Contacts. We both use many of the same contacts, but I have a huge amount that she doesn't use or need. So with that in mind, on the m505, I copied all of the contacts that she uses and put them in a category with her name. Prior to the 650, this worked flawlessly, we had duplicates on the MS Outlook contacts page on the PC, but that was no prob., if either of us chose the "all" category in Contacts on our PDA's we would have the duplicates, but she would use her category, and I would use "unfiled" which would give me all of my contacts. So now with the 650, even after multiple hard resets and finally beaming each category from the m505 to the 650 as described above, I am ending up with duplicates in the "unfiled" category. However, her file seems to be intact, that is unless I delete one of the duplicates (apparently the wrong duplicate) from the "unfiled" which results in it being removed from her category. What a pain!
    Any way, I was wondering if anyone has used Chapura's KeySuite with any success?? At $50 I really hate to buy it if it won't resolve anything. But I think I will do the trial and see if this helps. Unless anyone has other suggestions??

    Thanks for any help.
    Hi Dr. Sandman!

    You have now moved way beyond my "tech level one" rating. Hopefully a tech 2 or 3 will show up and take pity on us. Sounds like the trial on the Chapura KeySuite is the way to go. You might want to start a thread in the synchronization forum and label it "Chapura Categories Question" and re-explain your current dilema (since your primary question has been answered here). More Chapura experts may be lurking there.

    Cheers, Perry.
  14. #14  
    Chapura will sync multiple folders in Outlook. If you have mutiple contact folders, it will sync them all. However, Keysuite uses it's own databases. You could also use PocketMirror Pro, which is slightly cheaper than KeySuite. Don't really know about the categories as I have always used KeySuite.

    Are you trying to use the 505 and the 650 and syncing them both? I think you will have trouble trying to sync both to the same Outlook profile. If you have XP or 2000, you should set up a different login for each and put what you want into your Outlook and then set up her Outlook like you want. Better yet, you could sync her 505 with Palm desktop and just import the contacts she wants into Palm desktop. Then you sync with Outlook and she syncs with Palm desktop.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the help Perry!
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    .............
    Are you trying to use the 505 and the 650 and syncing them both? I think you will have trouble trying to sync both to the same Outlook profile. If you have XP or 2000, you should set up a different login for each and put what you want into your Outlook and then set up her Outlook like you want. Better yet, you could sync her 505 with Palm desktop and just import the contacts she wants into Palm desktop. Then you sync with Outlook and she syncs with Palm desktop.
    I'm not syncing both the 505 & 650 as the goal is to retire the 505. I wish I could remember why I thought using hers on the Palm desktop and mine on Outlook wouldn't work.........maybe it just didn't? Still might give it a try.
    Dr. Sandman
  16. #16  
    I am not sure what exactly what you are trying to do. I have re-read your posts. Are you trying to move your contacts to the treo 650 from the 505?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    I am not sure what exactly what you are trying to do. I have re-read your posts. Are you trying to move your contacts to the treo 650 from the 505?
    I'm trying to successfully migrate MS Outlook data, that was sucessfully shared/sync'd with my retiring m505 for several years, to my new Treo 650. The data (Contacts, Memos, Tasks) does come across to the 650 via sync, however, it does not come across in the 'categories' (top right of palm screen eg. Misc., Personal, etc. ) as they did in the m505. I hope this is making sense - let me know how I can clarify.
    Thanks.
    Dr. Sandman
  18. #18  
    Don't know if this will help. I don't use categories since I use KeySuites.

    From PalmOne

Posting Permissions