1.    #1  
    I'm am about to get my new Verizon Treo 650. Is there a way that I can get all of my programs easily from my cingular Treo to the Verizon Treo? Will I still have to reinput all of the registration codes?
    Quote Originally Posted by joebass777
    I'm am about to get my new Verizon Treo 650. Is there a way that I can get all of my programs easily from my cingular Treo to the Verizon Treo? Will I still have to reinput all of the registration codes?
    Normally I would say just Hotsync it to your old user name. But since you're going from GSM to CDMA, I don't know how smooth that would be. (Still possible, I just wonder if you'd get some GSM phone specific files when you do this.)

I would probably just start from scratch.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I would think that you can create a new user for your Verizon account. Once you sync the new account, go to the backup folder of your other user name. Then double click on the programs .prc file in the backup folder. When the install window pops up choose the new user. That should install your programs in the new phone when you sync again.

There could be a problem that some of your paid for programs will be registered to the old user name. If you think that's the case, just rename the user name from the old phone before you do any syncing, and name the new phone with the old user name. Confused? Follow the above instructions to install the programs to your new phone.
    RickMG, did you switch? Tell us about the experience...
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    RickMG, did you switch? Tell us about the experience...
    Rick, no I have been with Verizon for over 20 years (before they were even Verizon). Anyway, my answer comes from experience in changing phones many times as well as things I've read here.

Actually I should've switched to Cingular when I got my 650 because we travel to Europe a lot and I've always had to rent phones. Would love a world phone, but looks like I've got a year and a half before I can do it.
    I did exactly what you are asking about, switching from Cingular to Verizon. Everything I had installed on my Cingular 650 went over to the Verizon with no trouble at all. The big thing is on the first hotsync make sure to configure hotsync manager so the Desktop overwrites the handheld for your contacts, calendar, memos, to-do list, etc. You may have to reinstall some third party apps. but you don't under any circumstances have to change the name on your PDA. In fact you must keep it the same for this to work at all.

What a pleasure it is to now actually be able to have a conversation with people on my cell phone. Cingular (clever commercials) was so awful I can't believe I put up with it for so long.
    Last edited by JimK; 09/22/2005 at 02:32 PM.
    You could also BEAM programs over from one device to the other.

When I upgraded my Kyocera 7135 to the T650, I ONLY copied over the .DAT files for the datebook, address book, etc. via the desktop software. I then only installed the older software one item at a time over a few days via beaming. It kepts things nice a clean.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro