1.    #1  
    I expect the next Treo priced not higher than current $600 level.

At these current pc and other gadget price levels, like desktops at $400s and laptops starting from $600s, any higher price for Treo than current prices would lose its reasonableness and economical desirability to own one for many people ...imho. In fact, I even expect the price for next Treo lower then current levels.

While I believe, Treo's are the best convergence device on the market now, I also believe that resonable and more effordable prices along with new advancement on next Treo would be able to reach bigger masses and turn so many to Treo nation.

In my personal wish list to see in the next Treo are:
    Solution to soft resets
    Wi-fi
    EVDO
    at least 1.3 mp camera
    minimum 64 mb internal memory
    voice activation
    a bigger screen

Last but not least, I hope, we dont wait as far as 2006 to meet the next generation on the stores.
    that's good to know
    If the WM version treo turns into true, all your requirements will be met.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I don't think the pricing will change at all. It's be the same as it was when the 600 and 650 came out. I still don't see wifi making it into the next Treo though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only thing that matters to be is EV-DO.

Joe
    As quake97 said, both the 600 and 650 were introduced around the $600 price point, and I don't see any reason to think that the 670/700/whatever-the-flavor-of-the-month-is will be priced any differently. You can count on the latest incarnation of the Treo to be priced around $600-$650. Palm (and their carriers) have no incentive to price it otherwise, since people have no problem snapping them up at that price.

As far as your "personal wish list", which as dutch subtly insinuated, has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums, you can probably count on EVDO and 64MB of memory, and count out WiFi (the carriers have no incentive to offer this, plus, with EVDO, there's almost no point) and a bigger screen (ruins the form factor).

And since it's already the middle of September, you can count on a Q1 2006 release date, at the earliest.
    I'm back!
    I want spinners on the next treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I want spinners on the next treo.
    That's like so 2002.
    I'm back!
    In order to understand the cost of these phones you need to understand the cost to the carriers. From the numbers I've seen, most pdaphones (palm, ppc) cost around $400 to $450 a unit to the carrier from HTC at the beginning. Thus they sell them around $600 to get a profit, a profit which they are willing to sacrifice IF you are a new customer and agree to stay with them... In general they make NO MONEY on the cell phones unless you are a existing customer just trying to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    In order to understand the cost of these phones you need to understand the cost to the carriers. From the numbers I've seen, most pdaphones (palm, ppc) cost around $400 to $450 a unit to the carrier from HTC at the beginning. Thus they sell them around $600 to get a profit, a profit which they are willing to sacrifice IF you are a new customer and agree to stay with them... In general they make NO MONEY on the cell phones unless you are a existing customer just trying to upgrade.

That's pretty much right on! The reasons why carriers subsidize high end phones like the Treo (especially) is b/c of the high ARPU (average revune per unit) that these devices generate for the carriers...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Is that what's it's call? ARPU ... I've read on a number of occassions the treo generates significantly more revenue per customer - I belive Orange was the carrier used as an example.

Thught, going on common sense and no technical base, I can't see the phone being less then $600. Not only because of the prior pricing structure, but becasue of the prices phones like the smasung i700 and the razor are getting. Combine this with (what I thought was a well know) fact that carries don't make money on the sales of phones to new customer and ur off and running w/ a $600 or more price tag.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    "da Gimp

"

Grammar too?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    ok - I'm just a mouron - ok - now leave me alone! Go stare at Gfunk's Avatar or something

:-)
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    ok - I'm just a mouron - ok - now leave me alone! Go stare at Gfunk's Avatar or something

:-)
    Excellent suggestion (will I go cross-eyed?)
    No, but you should staysitting as to not embarrase yourself.

Anyway -- -does anyone have an y other guesses to pricing? I hope no one feels we will break th $700 mark.
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    No, but you should staysitting as to not embarrase yourself.

Anyway -- -does anyone have an y other guesses to pricing? I hope no one feels we will break th $700 mark.
    Well, we never thought we'd break $3.00 for regular unleaded either.
    ha - true --

The HTC wizard (Sprint) is more then $600 before rebates -- I hope that's not our future ...
    da Gimp