Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The biggest surprise of this story is that PalmSource is still alive.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000133058053/
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Here's the story at PalmInfocenter.

This could spell glory or doom but I'll be optimistic as Access created Netfront for the Sony Clies.

One thing is for sure, Palm OS will never be as simple as it once was...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Here's the story at PalmInfocenter.

This could spell glory or doom but I'll be optimistic as Access created Netfront for the Sony Clies.

One thing is for sure, Palm OS will never be as simple as it once was...

As Bill Paxton said in "Aliens"....

"Game over, man, game over!"

Not surprising to see at all...
    I am optimistic about this aquisition. I remember a time when the Palm OS had limited features, but it never crashed. Now everyday I wake up, I expect my 650 to be in an endless loop. I haven't heard much about this Japanese company, but I put more faith in them than in PalmSource. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots". The OS will be reborn as something great. I anticipate the release of a new OS for Palm devices!! Can't wait!

EDIT

Engadget is reporting a confirmed deal of $311.3 MILLION dollars, and here's the best part...in cash. What is PalmSource going to do with 311 million dollars in cash?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Engadget is reporting a confirmed deal of $311.3 MILLION dollars, and here's the best part...in cash. What is PalmSource going to do with 311 million dollars in cash?
    The cash has to go towards buying the shares from the PalmSource shareholders.
    So does PalmSource make any kind of money out of this? Or is everything spent in buying shares back?

So does PalmSource make any kind of money out of this? Or is everything spent in buying shares back?
    ...but I do have a question for ya! I'm having a brain fart. What's the name of the band and the track playing in your sig?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    The current share price, plus the number of shares outstanding will probably be close to what Access is offering. It's not really important because they will no longer be an independent company. Access will own them, so basically the cash that they are offering is to acquire PalmSource from it's public ownership. A public company is owned by all it's shareholders, so a company that wants to acquire it without a stock swap has to acquire it by purchasing all the shares.
    Thanks for the clarification Alex, I think I get it now For some reason or another I wasn't thinking very clearly hehe

Compare to 300+ millions, the Palm name is not that expensive now is it.
    This is very BAD news for us palm users. It looks like Palm is just cashing out and screwing us all. Everytime a software program get's bought out, they go under about a year later (look at WeSync and PregPro for examples). Only the people that created the software can TRULY understand it. The new 'owners' don't understand it's inner workings and hence can't support it or provide any further updates....
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Compare to 300+ millions, the Palm name is not that expensive now is it.
    I was just thinking about this. Would it have been more if they went ~5-7 years back in time?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    This is very BAD news for us palm users. It looks like Palm is just cashing out and screwing us all. Everytime a software program get's bought out, they go under about a year later (look at WeSync and PregPro for examples). Only the people that created the software can TRULY understand it. The new 'owners' don't understand it's inner workings and hence can't support it or provide any further updates....
    True... but I doubt that will be true for this case. If you ever used a Sony Clie with Netfront, then you would know that these people probably know a lot more than you think. Also, the purchase of a tech company also typically means the purchase was for not only for the technology but also for a major part of the expertise.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I think it can only get better, it certainly can't get any worse. What can be worse than a company that is basically a 1 horse show and an old one at that. No production Colbalt devices, at least 1 year away from "Palmux" and a shrinking client base for "FrankenGarnet". Maybe Access can breath some new life into the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    I think it can only get better, it certainly can't get any worse.
    Agreed. PalmSource has been running in place the past few years. Access better continue the brand and not just fold it into its other IP.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Now the whole WM Treo makes sense !!
    Once again, Microsoft wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by kreka
    Once again, Microsoft wins.
    OMG MICROSOFT EVIL EMPIRE HEADED UP BY SATAN HIMSELF BILL GATES HERE TO TAKE OVER ALL WE KNOW....

Please.
    All yor base are belong to us.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    All yor base are belong to us.....
    AYBABTU

Hilarious!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast