Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    not really mentioned in the press releast is that Access was behind the netfront browser that drove the huge huge mobile internet boom in Japan with NTT DoCoMo's iMode service. Interesting move and I wonder what this means for them strategically.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Now we know why all the rumors of PocketPC and Linux based Treo's.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    I liked the St. Louis Post Dispatch today had a Business page lead stating:

A buyout offer for PalmSource sent its shares rocketing 78 percent, and had analysts scratching their heads as to why Access Co. would want to spend $324 million for a company with no real profit and one product.
    Folks, this doesn't mean that PalmOS is dead...yet anyway. First of all, Access already stated that the new "Apollo" subsidiary will continue to develop Palm Linux as previsouly stated by Palmsource. They even mentioned that they would even revisit Cobalt in terms of Netfront integration. Furthermore, it's been widely reported that Palm has been hiring linux devs which hints at possible future support for PL...

In any case, I think there will be both WM and palmOS Treos in the future for now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I still don't see how the spinning off of PalmSource benefit Palm, unless they made up their mind to use wm 2 years ago, whcich doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I still don't see how the spinning off of PalmSource benefit Palm, unless they made up their mind to use wm 2 years ago, whcich doesn't make sense.
    Palmsource was spun off so that Palm(one) would have more flexibilty to diversify their product portfolio. It was also an attempt to even the playing field among the hardware vendors. This way Palm would not have an unfair advantage over other Palmsource licensees thereby retaining licensees that may have jumped ship.

In the end, it looks like the strategy did not work as Sony and other major vendors bailed out, leaving only Palm as the only major supplier of PalmOS PDAs.

Who knows, if Palmsource was never spun out, the major vendors could have bailed out earlier leaving Palm holding the bag without the flexibility to use MW5 and causing the company to fold altogether. Granted that would have been a worse case scenario, but still a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Only three reasons that I can see for the spin-off

1. By spinning off, could keep/sign up more hardware manufacturers for the OS who didnt like giving funds to Palm (hardware). Idea being other makers might be reluctant to give a competitor (palm hardware) money, but would use the OS if it was not connected with the hardware maker. Hasn't happend. If this was the reason for the spin off, it was a total failure.

2. Palm (hardware) was getting ready to totally dump the Palm OS. In that case the OS side of the business would have totally lost all its value. Palm doesn't even use its own software? Who else would buy it. By spinning it off there was a chance to retain some value. This has not happend of course and, given what we know, seems pretty unlikely (although Palm (hardware) buying back the sole-use of the name "Palm: fits this senario) in the near future. Even if it happens eventually, if there were no plans to dump the palm OS at the time of the spin-off, then that was not a reason for the split. So, although this may happen someday, does not look like it was a reason for the spin-off.

3. Given the Handspring purchase and bringing back the founder and the makeup of the marketplace and plam's place in it, it was a way for people with lots of stock/options to cash in before they might get the boot from the new company.

IMO it was a bit of a combo of #1 and #3. The decision makers were probably motivated by their own self-interests, but could at least justify it by an attempt to expand or preserve the OS vendor base. Interesting thing would be to see if these guys held on to their PalmSource shares or options. If they did, they made out big time. If they sold already...oops!!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Only three reasons that I can see for the spin-off
    2. Palm (hardware) was getting ready to totally dump the Palm OS. In that case the OS side of the business would have totally lost all its value.
    But that doesnt make any sense. PalmOS wasn't that bad 1 year ago. I would certainly prefer it over the wm2003.

The speculation of Palm's demise cost Palm more money in the stock market than whatever money they need to pay to keep the software department.

Again I bring out the Sega example.
    Palm's split of hardwarw and software was an ill advised money grab, which ultimately hastened their demise.

If Apple did this, they'd be toast too.
    HOLY CRAP!!

WTF IS GOING ON!??!?

Every time I leave this board for a couple days....I hear some horrible news that gives WM an upper hand.

I guess I'll be buying that HTC Universal after all.
    Palm was nothing but upper hand for years...and they pissed it away. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them, although I still love the Treo.

Really, it's the leadership that sucks.

Look at Ray Nagin, Mayor of Old Orleans....he was some bigwig exec at Cox Cable, and look how he handled a storm he had plenty of warning about? I wouldn't let him manage a lenonade stand..

Maybe it would have been better if he had executed the evac plan that was on the books instead of sitting on his thumbs. And he claims "I couldn't get bus drivers". GMAFB.

Instead he got on the radio and blubbered like a baby. In times of crisis, people need leaders, not wussies.

And let's not even start with Blanco, the Gov of LA, who is the epitome of incompetence.

A bit long on the rant, I know (my family lost homes and friends), but the point is leadership.

Palm lacked it, and thus the results.
    mikec - couldn't agree more with your statements. These lame local government people blaming everything on the Feds. I think the mayor and governor need to accept 90% of the blame, but they will just pass it on to Bush. Becuase Bush hates black people, and midgets.
    Let's not turn this into a New Orleans thread. There's one in Off Topic for that.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Color me paranoid, but 1SRC is reporting PalmSource will be acquired by Access:

http://www.1src.com/headlines/show/001217.html

Rumor mill for last two weeks was that Palm was going to repurchase PalmSource. Now this. Maybe I'm being lame, but doesn't this further free up Palm to pursue WM5 or other solutions?

Hear that "knock, knock, knock" That's the Palm OS "knockin on heavan's door".
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Doesn't this bother anyone else? I'm not saying their going to ditch Palm OS right away, but what's the incentive for developing a Smartphone OS for a one horse show (Palm)?
    Are their millions of us with Palm OS software? They can't dump it, but they might migrate it to a Palm/Linux OS that is backwards compatible.

Why not dual OS the Treo hardware format? More hardware sold should bring down the cost on components that are in common and direct competion between the two OS types has to be healthy -- should mean they stay on their toes to keep the user experience the best it can be. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/13/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    this is being discussed extensively in another thread. see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Color me paranoid,

paranoid
    , or perhaps paranoid,
    or paranoid looks rather smashing. Although I think paranoid best brings out your eyes.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Doesn't this bother anyone else? I'm not saying their going to ditch Palm OS right away, but what's the incentive for developing a Smartphone OS for a one horse show (Palm)?

You're like 5 days late with this news!

Btw, this hardly means that PalmOS is dead. In fact this is probably good news and more likely means that PalmOS will have the resources to get PalmLinux to market now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Okay, enough egg throwing. Just where was this already bashed? It couldn't be five days old because it wasn't even public info before late Friday - color me slow for not seeing it until Monday, but guys....

The real issue is tht without basic control of the OS, wouldn't Palm be negligent if they don't multi-OS, which means a trek to the evil empire?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast