Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone.

A little about me. I had a Treo 600. Loved it, but sold it for a 650. Got the 650 and did not like the sluggishness dialing from contacts. Sent it back and bought another 600. It was stolen 2 weeks ago in Hawaii. I am using a spare phone while this Treo stuff pans out. I am a die hard Mac user that also has a Dell PC for consulting. Ok, on to the question...

I would like to know what Windows Mobile 5 means for a Mac? I use Entourage (Microsoft) for my email and calendar. I actually really like it. It works for my needs over Mac Mail. Will a WM5 Treo sync well with Microsoft products? I would assume so, but I've been sadly dissapointed before.

I think that there will of course be pluses and minuses to either Palm or WM5. But, will it work with MAC? I have seen the WM PDA's, but I have not tried syncing them to my Mac. Syncing the 600 + 650 works ok, but not super. The conduits sometimes get very messy, and I have used Now Contact, Apple Calendar, iSync and Entourage.

Thanks everyone!
    you do realize that on the 650, once you download the latest firmware update, the "sluggishness" when dialing is virtually gone?!!! You traded a 650 for a 600?!!! Crack smoking anyone??
  3.    #3  
    Well, not quite crack smoking. Let me recall....

Sold the 600 on Ebay for $400+
    Bought 650, returned it
    Bought another 600 on Ebay for $250
    -------------------------------------------
    Profit: $150

:-)

Also, read: "virtually gone". This is an upgrade we're talking about, right?
    Last edited by jazzkids; 09/04/2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add
  4.    #4  
    Also, come on. I've been reading this board for months, plus I had the 650 for 2 solid weeks. The 600 to 650 is not THAT much of an improvement.

I really hope that the 670/700 will be some leaps and bounds. Or, at least leaps.

Back on topic, any mac users out there using the 600/650 concerned about Windows Mobile 5 on a treo?
    I imagine The Missing Sync would be updated to support it, but I would be surprised it a WM Palm product came with Mac support out of the box.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    PocketMac also does a decent job of syncing to WM devices. I've used both when I had an Axim x50v. I'd be more concerned about having to use WM than how well it'll work with the Mac, honestly.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    The main thing to remember is that a sync with either MissingSync or PocketMac can only deal with the PIM apps. (I think that PocketMac might do bookmarks too though.) If you want anything else to sync it won't. I don't know how you use your handheld, but it will entirely depend on what you expect out of your device.
    It seems like the main problem of a windows mobile or pocket pc device with a mac is that unlike palm developers who supply apps as .zip files which can easily be expanded, many pocket pc apps are distributed as self-extracting apps which can make installation a headache even if you have a way to get the files onto the device itself.
    There's a program for the Mac called FileJuicer. It allows you to extract the .CAB files out of a Windows Executable allowing you to then install via Missing Sync or PocketMac.

For the record, Missing Sync appears to be the more stable option of the two. PocketMac does more... but not always reliably. While it does less, Missing Sync does its job without kernel panics and other problems.
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    I replaced my Treo 600 with a PDA2k last October. I lasted until March when I finally gave up with it and sold it on ebay.

Windows Mobile is a pretty crude/tatty OS, really quite unpleasant to use. I did manage to get it to do a lot - I managed to connect to my wireless network, even controlled my Mac via VNC, sent emails etc. But in the end it just wasn't an enjoyable experience.

To overcome some of the compability problems of using Windows Mobile with a Mac (I used to manage fine with Palms own software with my Treo 600) I bought the Missing Sync. I found there were too many software items that couldn't be installed using this (at the time either FileJuicer didn't exist, or nobody knew about it). Therefore I also bought the latest version of Virtual PC. This overcame some problems, although it was a real hassle having to launch and OS within an OS. Most significantly, even using Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft) it was not capable of some functions such as ROM upgrades.

It's really quite worrying that the Palm OS is going down the drain. The Palm OS version on the Treo 600 was very primitive, but I (as I expect a lot of others have) have been hoping for a modern version of the Palm OS. With Symbian appearing to remain static for the past few years, and Palm using Windows Mobile, there seems to be no hope in sight of a mobile device with a decent OS.

Perhaps now is the time for Apple to make a move...

PS. I did wonder whether Windows Mobile 5 might be the turning point that makes all the differents. Unfortunately, from reading the very limited information on Microsofts site, it doesn't seem too promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    you do realize that on the 650, once you download the latest firmware update, the "sluggishness" when dialing is virtually gone?!!! You traded a 650 for a 600?!!! Crack smoking anyone??
    I agree

The Treo 650 is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT ---- but that is mainly after you put 1.08 and 1.12 on

I can't really imagine going back to my 600, at this point
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I just don't think I would like to look at a Windows interface on my Treo. I wonder if it would get all of the viruses like a real Windows machine?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I wonder if it would get all of the viruses like a real Windows machine?
    Nope. But I've never had a virus on my Windows machines either.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nope. But I've never had a virus on my Windows machines either.
    So you're the guy! I read there was someone somewhere who hasn't gotten any Windoze viruses...

If WM becomes as ubiquitous as Windoze is, then hackers will start attacking it. It's just a part of modern life with computers. M$ is just too good a target.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    So you're the guy! I read there was someone somewhere who hasn't gotten any Windoze viruses...

If WM becomes as ubiquitous as Windoze is, then hackers will start attacking it. It's just a part of modern life with computers. M$ is just too good a target.
    I really don't see this happening, and even if it does it will be much easier to fix than a PC. Backup daily to SD card, get virus, hard reset, restore from SD card. What does that take, about 10 mins?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I really don't see this happening, and even if it does it will be much easier to fix than a PC. Backup daily to SD card, get virus, hard reset, restore from SD card. What does that take, about 10 mins?
    True, but it only takes a few minutes to keep your Norton Anti-Virus definitions up to date, too, but people don't do it.

It only takes a moment to delete a suspicious attachment, or to decide not to open an attachment with an uncertain provenance, but yet people still get infected. I don't get viruses, for 2 reasons: first, I use Macs, which rarely get attacked like PCs do, and second, I don't open suspicious attachments.

I'm afraid that WM viruses are in our future once WM becomes more widely used; it's the historic nature of hackers to go after the big targets.

I can see it now: I grab my phone to make a call, and find out that it's already been calling to Antarctica for the past 36 hours... that's why I doubt I'll ever own a WM-enabled device.
    Well, I have tried a couple of PocketPC products and have found them lacking for me.... I will probably give the 6700 a chance and see what happens. If WM5 is nice I will probably return it and wait for the new Treo on SPCS. Otherwise, I currently have a BB7250 on order to replace my T650 because I seem to have constant problems(resets in both chatter & versamail) accessing my email which is the biggest reason I got the Treo to begin with; and the resets occurring in the phone app and Blazer. I guess I will try the BB out for a couple ofweeks and see which one I will decide to stick with.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoutlander
    Well, I have tried a couple of PocketPC products and have found them lacking for me.... I will probably give the 6700 a chance and see what happens. If WM5 is nice I will probably return it and wait for the new Treo on SPCS. Otherwise, I currently have a BB7250 on order to replace my T650 because I seem to have constant problems(resets in both chatter & versamail) accessing my email which is the biggest reason I got the Treo to begin with; and the resets occurring in the phone app and Blazer. I guess I will try the BB out for a couple ofweeks and see which one I will decide to stick with.
    I am a heavy user of my 650 everyday, and hardly ever have a reset. I have found this is usually caused by third party apps. I try to run my 650 fairly lean. I have had the same unit since day one (10 months).
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    oh ... and by the way. Forget the iPhone, Newton etc. etc.

"iPod chief not keen on iPod and cell phone convergence"
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1291
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    I used to sync Entourage with a Pocket PC with PocketMac and MissingSync. Both were good - PocketMac certainly improved - and I ended up using Missing Sync has the feel and stability. Pretty sure it will work or work shortly with any Treo.
    As far as reboots and freezes - removing Mundu alleviated that for me. Works fine for most. My guess is some inherent memory flaw in the OSm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast