1.    #1  
    This is a pretty cool artical that's been floating around, the IrDA has aproved a new protocal called IrSimple.

The Infrared Data Association (IrDA) has adopted a new high-speed-infrared communications protocol for mobile devices that aims to deliver 100Mbit/s data transfer rates -- some 25 times the data rates of today's IrDA interfaces. Dubbed "IrSimple," the new spec implements both faster transmission speeds and improved data transfer protocol efficiency. IrSimple transfer rates of 16Mbit/s have been achieved, the IrDA says.
    That would be awsome on our Treo's. Bluetooth is a mess and to network sync requires a lot of control over your network. IR sync would be great at 100mbps. All we need is a software upgrade... if Palm will get off their asses and update this and the Bluetooth to 1.2....

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    This would be great.

Except the world has passed IR by...

Hardly any laptops have it, and fewer PDAs as well.
    Yeah, I have to agree with the above poster. This is too late to make any kind of impact, outside Japan anyway. Had this been released 2-3 years ago, maybe, but BT is much too prevalent at this point.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, BT is everywhere now, but i enjoy the simplicity of being able to beam ppl my card without having to pair up with their handheld, or being able to send files to my Treo from my ThinkPad without having to search for my computer hoping to find it.

IR is simple.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    IR is also dead. I the US, anyway. I hear it's still reasonably popular in Japan, though, which is why it's not too relevant outside there.