1.    #1  
    Dumb question, because I probably know the answer, but here goes. Is it possible to clone my phone number to another phone to use when I'm out of a digital area? I remember many many years ago Verizon even offered (for only a few months) two phones with the same number. Only one could be on at a time so that is probably why they realized that they shouldn't continue doing that. I could turn the Treo off when I drove out into rural areas where I don't get service now and use the other phone.

I know illegal cloning was a big deal about 10 years ago. It even happened to my phone while I was in S.F. on vacation.

Oh, and I put this here, because this is probably not a Verizon specific question.
    Last edited by RickMG; 08/27/2005 at 10:37 PM.
    You don't have to clone your phone. You can just use an old analog phone and activate it (which will deactivate your Treo.) Then you will have to reactivate your Treo again. It isn't something you would want to do for a few hours but if you were going to be in a place without digital for a day or two it might be something to consider.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    You don't have to clone your phone. You can just use an old analog phone and activate it (which will deactivate your Treo.) Then you will have to reactivate your Treo again. It isn't something you would want to do for a few hours but if you were going to be in a place without digital for a day or two it might be something to consider.
    Thanks, but usually it's only for a few hours. We take drives quite often to wineries or to antique stores out in the boonies. I absolutely have to be in touch as it could mean lost business (realtor) if I don't get the call. Today we were at a winery (within service area, but usually outside digital) and stupid me left the phone in vibrate mode after we left one and missed a call. Missing a call can be very expensive. Unfortunately my wifes got a Treo as well or I'd just forward mine to hers.
    hmmmm...how 'bout something like the family plan then. If I recall you can add another phone on the family plan for about $5 bucks a month. It shares minutes with your phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    hmmmm...how 'bout something like the family plan then. If I recall you can add another phone on the family plan for about $5 bucks a month. It shares minutes with your phone.
    That's another good idea, but with the minute plan that I would have to go to on Verizon, I'm on 900 now, and their family plan goes 700 then 1400. My bill would go from $59.99 to $89.99 per month. So $30 per month is pretty high. I can't go to 700 because I'm barely making do with the 900. I've looked at almost every option and they are all too expensive. I originally got the Kyocera 6035 in '99 because I never had my palm with me when I needed it. Now, I really feel that's the best way to go but this is my first digital only phone and it really sucks for roaming rural areas.
    OK, one more option that will beat the $480 dollar additional cost of the family plan. Check out "Tracfone." I bought a phone plus one year contract for $150 bucks total for my son. I went this way route because it minimizes my risk if my son loses it. I think I got 400 minutes with the original plan and if we go over I can just add more prepaid minutes. Here is a link to their analog models. You could probably just buy a service card for your current analog phone and save more money.

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_docume...oc&analog=true