1.    #1  
    A few weeks ago I decided that it would be a good idea to put a couple thousand into PSRC. I don't really have much confidence in the company; well, none actually. BUT, it was one of those penny type stocks (almost). I have never invested in penny stocks before but I guess the name being familar prompted the move. So the idea was to buy around 7.5 and sell around 8. It would continually move back and forth like this every day or so, consequently, I could make about $75 every day or so. Well yesterday it shot up like 13-14%. Today it is still going up; about a 5% gain right now I think.

Well, this is not the point of my posting. The point is that this prompted me to check on what was going on. Apparently some stock analyst (Robert V. Green of Marketwatch) thinks PSRC is a wise short-term investment but only for the reason that Palm is supposedly going to buy PalmSource. He dislikes both companies long term but says buy PSRC simply for the buy-out value.

Eh. I made my money.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Damn you for not telling me earlier!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Why oh why would Palm buy out PalmSource? Looks like some analyst needed to dump his shares.
    Well, if they were bought out, it would make life simpler. Not to mention, newer versions of the OS (namely those involving Linux and developed by PSRC) could actually be called Palm OS...
    Yeah, but it would make them look like idiots for paying so much for the Palm name not so long ago. It would make them look like they are really shooting from the hip, and that there wasn't a lot of strategy going on there
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Yeah, but it would make them look like idiots for paying so much for the Palm name not so long ago. It would make them look like they are really shooting from the hip, and that there wasn't a lot of strategy going on there
    I stand corrected, I think Palm will do this ASAP.

Seriously, they can make their own changes to the OS. Unless they're concerned about something LG is about to do and want to takeover PS just to stop licensing the OS.

Another thought may be that they want more control of the OS, given how they were complaining about Cobalt at the Roadshow.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, I think it's possible too. I see yesterday they published another SEC filing for the approval of renegoitiated bonuses for the higher ups, including their brand new CEO of only a couple months. Weird, huh? It's only been 2 months and he had to renogotiate his bonuses? Something is up!

Palm Inc. has been establishing reason and justification for a buyout approval by substantially expanding their software development. And now I see where someone is posting that they are adding even more Linux developers again this month.

Time will tell.
    well according to my google alerts this rumor has made it to PC World USA.

To me the original split made no sense. Despite the spin at the time there was only three reasons to do it.

1. Palm (hardware) was going to TOTALLY abandon palm OS. In that case, you might save some value in the OS side of the business by having it a separate company that could find and suport other customers for the OS.

2. There were a bunch of potential customers out there for the OS who would not use it on their hardware as long as their royalty payments were supporting a competing hardware maker.

of course neither of these have happend yet which leaves

3. it was a move purely to maximize the value of the stock/stock options of the decision makers regardless of the split's long-term implications for either company.
    Palm is looking for Linux developers. If they buy PalmSource, they will solve this problem right away
    Quote Originally Posted by Roel
    Palm is looking for Linux developers. If they buy PalmSource, they will solve this problem right away

It's not a problem. Palm is hiring Linux devs b/c they're a hardware company and thus need to write their own linux drivers for use with Palm Linux...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    IF this goes through, Palm will have to do some serious tap-dancing to explain why they paid $30million to PSRC to get the palm name, then acquired the company a few months later. Looks like everyone's asleep at the wheel.
    The deal Palm made to buy back the brand was $30M over five years paid to PSI. If they buy PSI, they won't need to pay the majority of this debt.
    - Lightfoot