1.    #1  
    Good morning. A client of mine has asked me for advice on how to get her corporate email via a handheld device (PDA and phone capabilities) while overseas. She travels to Asia about six times a year and Europe once or twice.

In the office, we have several people who have Treo with various carriers (Verizon, Cingular, etc.) and have them set up to get out corporate email through Versamail. Works great.

She likes the Treo, but I'm not sure what to advise her about using it overseas for both calls and Versamail access. Should she just go with an American carrier that has good overseas coverage? Or ???

(Sorry, I don't know much about Treos, probably just enough to advise her wrong.... LOL...)

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by jatkins679; 08/24/2005 at 11:15 AM.
    GSM...GSM is made for world roaming (ie cingular orange, cingular blue, or if you want T-Mobile)...usually CDMA is country specific

oh sorry i thought you were asking which tech to use...do you know where exactly she is going...if to one country/place then get a prepaid sim from there (providing it is GSM model and is unlocked)...if she is hop skipping and jumping from country to country...bit the bullet and pay the carrier's roaming fees
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    First you need to determine which cellular technology will be available in all (or most) of her travelling locations. I agree that GSM is the most likely candidate but try to confirm as I believe that CDMA is predominant in Asia (but that does not mean that GSM will not also be available).

Assuming GSM, then one would need a quad-band phone (or at least a tri-band) as GSM networks across the world use different frequencies i.e. 800, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz. The Treo 650 is a quad-band but may not be the best choice for her. Read on below.

To use the GSM services on a foreign network one must either

1. have an unlocked GSM phone and use local SIM cards, or
    2. have a roaming plan where your provider has the necessary roaming agreements with those foreign networks.
    Now, in general, because she wishes to access her email and use other (GPRS) data services, local SIM cards may not be an option for data. This is assuming that she will only be able to use pre-paid service as almost all pre-paid services do not support, or adequately support, data services. (FYI, Cingular does support data services on pre-paid accounts at 2 cents per kb, which will likely amount to exhorbitant fees).

Therefore, she should follow up on item 2 listed above with Cingular or T-Mobile and of course, get their roaming rates.

As an alternative, or better yet an addition, to roaming, she may be better off getting a WiFi-integrated GSM phone so that she can use Wi-Fi networks to access her data services instead of amassing roaming GPRS data charges, or for locations where GPRS is not available. Unfortunately, the Treo 650 does not have Wi-Fi capability, not integrated nor with any Wi-Fi card. Therefore, she may have to look at other options, including Pocket PC phones (arrgh! I can't believe Palm put me in a position to say that).

However, if she loves her beloved PalmOS, as I do, she can get a Treo 650 plus a Wi-Fi PDA. Check Palm's website for current options. (Purchase elsewhere e.g. Amazon, for a better price).

FYI, I travel between Trinidad and Tobago (where I live) and the US frequently. I use my unlocked GSM 650 with an unlimited data plan in T&T and use a T-MoToGo pre-paid SIM (best prepaid voice rates) while in the US. Unfortunately T-MoToGo does not support data services (unless you purchase a Sidekick from them and are willing to pay a $1 per day whether or not you use it). Therefore, I kept my Tungsten T3 and PalmOne Wi-Fi card to access Wi-Fi hotspots while in the US. And for hotels (and offices) with internet access via ethernet networks, I simply plug in my ASUS WL-330g to create a Wi-Fi access point (Arrgh! A headache for nework security administration) from which I can then use my T3/Wi-Fi Card.

I hope this information is useful to you...

Regards,
    Keith
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    CDMA is NOT predominant in Asia. CDMA is used in many parts of asia, however GSM is in use MUCH MUCH more accross asia, except in Japan and South Korea.

In China for example GSM is the way to go, they do have CDMA there, but it is not worth the hassle.

I just got back from a trip where I traveled between China, Vietnam, Thailand and India all with my Cingular V551 (just got my treo recently) and I had signal and dialtone everywhere I went.

Get Cingular or T-Mobile GSM version of the Treo (whichever works better in your area), then before your client goes, make sure she calls the provider to enable international calling and international roaming... this is critical.

Another thing, for just making phone calls, GSM has one more advantage. You can buy local Sim cards, (and if you've had your treo unlocked) then use local providers at local rates.

I agree with the previous poster about the Wifi. I belive that there is however a Wifi sled that can be purchased as an addon to the Treo, but I've never used it.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    CDMA is NOT predominant in Asia. CDMA is used in many parts of asia, however GSM is in use MUCH MUCH more accross asia, except in Japan and South Korea.
    OK. Don't bite off my head! I knew about CDMA in Japan and South Korea but had no information on the rest of Asia. That's why I said "I believe"...

In China for example GSM is the way to go, they do have CDMA there, but it is not worth the hassle.

I just got back from a trip where I traveled between China, Vietnam, Thailand and India all with my Cingular V551 (just got my treo recently) and I had signal and dialtone everywhere I went.
    That's why I said ".. does not mean that GSM is not available..."

Get Cingular or T-Mobile GSM version of the Treo (whichever works better in your area), then before your client goes, make sure she calls the provider to enable international calling and international roaming... this is critical.
    Good advice I forgot to mention!

I agree with the previous poster about the Wifi. I belive that there is however a Wifi sled that can be purchased as an addon to the Treo, but I've never used it.
    Unfortunately the Wi-Fi sled has and will likely continue to be vaporware until they just "shelve" it as Wi-Fi-enabled Treo's arrive...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    OK. Don't bite off my head! I knew about CDMA in Japan and South Korea but had no information on the rest of Asia. That's why I said "I believe"...

That's why I said ".. does not mean that GSM is not available..."

Good advice I forgot to mention!

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi sled has and will likely continue to be vaporware until they just "shelve" it as Wi-Fi-enabled Treo's arrive...
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was biting your head off. I just wanted to make sure the OP understood that GSM is still by far the most used and easiest to use overseas.

I think you are probly right about the wifi thing, they''ll include it in the next version then all of us with 650s will be forgotten.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was biting your head off. I just wanted to make sure the OP understood that GSM is still by far the most used and easiest to use overseas.

I think you are probly right about the wifi thing, they''ll include it in the next version then all of us with 650s will be forgotten.
    Lord,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I'm apologize for mistaking you.
    I am also a strong advocate for GSM...

Cheers
    Just got back from two weeks in Hong Kong and Shanghai. Was able to make calls and retrieve emails using my Treo 650 (Cingular) no problem in Hong Kong. Shanghai, the GPRS was a little "spottier", but in the metropolitan areas it was no problem. Int'l Data roaming via Cingular is also very reasonable--as opposed to the extortionary voice call costs.
    I wonder what would be best to use in Israel? Anybody knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    GSM
    What are Cingular's international Data/Roaming prices? I'm going to Israel and Tmo wants to charge me $15/MB (I currently pay $20/Unlimited)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    What are Cingular's international Data/Roaming prices? I'm going to Israel and Tmo wants to charge me $15/MB (I currently pay $20/Unlimited)

Eh... nah, just unlock your treo and buy a prepaid SIM in which ever country you are traveling to. It is much cheaper that way...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sounds pretty high to me. With T-Mobile it was only a buck a megabyte in Spain and Italy. There's a free, optional international plan you can sign up for on their web site. But if you decide to go the prepaid SIM route, just call them and tell them you need the unlock code because you will be abroad and want ot use a prepaid SIM. I think they'll send you the code in a couple of days.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    well that sucks that its so much higher in israel

I already have it unlocked and i'm out of contract so switching providers is an option too...

Problem is I haven't found any prepid SIM servikces that offer GPRS data plans.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I was in Israel for 2 weeks in March of this year and had no problem making and receiving calls with my Unbranded Treo 650 using Cingular (My SIM is still AT&T). I also was able to use GPRS for email on a very regular basis almost everywhere in the country.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    yes, but how much did it cost / MB?
    wow, sounds so hign to me as well.
    yes, but how much did it cost / MB?

You can get prepaid gprs here, but the rates seem pretty high:

http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/gprs/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    yeah -Tmobile is still cheaper at $15/MB - who'da thunk it?
    Follow-up: I found another provider in israel with a SIM card rental for $6.95/day unlimited data - woo hoo!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=851776