Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey guys, Rookie here.

Looking into buying a treo for its general functions, and thinking about not even going with a data plan.

Just need it for text, calls, planner, calendar...etc.

How many of you treo junkies have Treo's but no data plan ?

I really dont need email, or to surf the web....

I also have to find out if a messaging program can still be used without a data plan since I have unlimited text messages.

Let me know guys. Thanks.

how many treo users dont have data plans, but love the treo all the same?
    Get Sprint
    $10 unlimited data
    You will be amazed and what you start using it for.

Cheers, Perry.
    Seems like a number of people don't have a data plan. This thread might help a bit... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=data+plan

But like Perry said, just $10 for unlimited data with Sprint...you can do wonders.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    yeah, i heard. Sucks....that im on verizon
    Text messaging doesn't need a data plan. If you're using an unlimited SMS package, it doesn't count as data.
    This is where I fit in... I have my VZW T650 & no DataPlan. I know that this is an untapped resource for me, but I still feel that my T650 was a worthwhile purchase!!! No regrets here...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I do not use the data side of my T600 after a $2600.00 bill for streaming some old time radio programs... thank goodness for a sympathetic CSR at Rogers.

Otherwise the T600 is a wonderful address/contact book, daily calendar, todo list, voice recorder, movie player, mobileCLOCK/ALARM, mp3 player and phone.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    I do not use the data side of my T600 after a $2600.00 bill for streaming some old time radio programs... thank goodness for a sympathetic CSR at Rogers.

Otherwise the T600 is a wonderful address/contact book, daily calendar, todo list, voice recorder, movie player, mobileCLOCK/ALARM, mp3 player and phone.
    WOW 2600.00 ?? Crazy man...

Yeah, so basically everything you just said is what i'd like to have. I like the movie/mp3 function since my v710 is great with that as well.

All in all, its still a great tool, regardless of email or not.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Get Sprint
    $10 unlimited data
    You will be amazed and what you start using it for.

Cheers, Perry.
    The $10/month flat plan doesn't exist anymore with Sprint. Believe me, I tried asking for it! It's currently now $15/month flat...which is still very reasonable. For the $15/month, I also get a limited 100 text messages per month.
    My best PDA yet. (And it has a phone inside, too!)

The data pl an just makes it that much better.

You will love it!
    pos user, I also got the Treo 650 and do not plan to use the data package. I needed a new phone and a new PDA and the chance to just carry one device around was very enticing.

That said, whenI switched to VZW and got new phones...last week...I signed up for the data plan ($5/month) because they gave me an extra $100 off the Treo. They claim you can discontinue the sevice at no charge at any time so I plan to discontinue it after the first month since I am not using it.

Essentialy that means I got the Treo 650 for $50 less than I had expected. So far loving my Treo and even though I have the data plan I haven't found a need for it!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  12.    #12  
    doggy, thanks for the help. Thats not a bad idea bro.

I just didnt think the data plan was that cheap? whats included in the data plan? I already have the unlimited text for 5.00 bucks a month...whta does the 5.00 data plan consist of? With the 100 bucks off, i might have to go to verizon tonight to pick one up

399.00 - 100.00 = 299.00 - 25% Company Discount - 225.00

not bad at all. cheaper than my v710
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Do a bit of searching before you post. I remember reading a message a few weeks ago about a verizon user who was pretty annoyed that verizon requires a data plan for text messaging with the Treo (other providers don't). I remember that he talked to verizon's tech support, but I don't remember how that worked out.

Brett
  14.    #14  
    no, thats incorrect. The user was probably not asking the questions correctly. There are several people in my department with treo's that have the 5.00 unlimited text plan and have no problem at all.

Thanks for lookin out.
    Oops, pos...I need a new keyboard desperately. I use an old keyboard with the PS2 connection on my laptop with a USB converter and every once in a while it skips keys or does not recognize the shift key has been depressed.

I have the $45/month Data Plan...not the $5/month plan. Sorry for the confusion.

So VZW offered the T650 for $399 with a two year agreement and then $100 off for signing up for the $45/month Data Plan which brought my out of pocket cost to $299 for the T650.

After one month with the Data Plan I will cancel it...supposedly with no cancelation fee as the salesman told me putting my T650 cost at $344.

Damn Keyboard!!!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    I have the VZW Busniess professional Corporate plan. $109 basically $79(what I was paying w/ v710) for 1350 minutes for peak, and $30 for the unlimited data package(normally $44 dollars). So, I sy it as a far trade-off even though these damn errors are almost rendering this brick useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan

Does not having data make the Treo a Duo?
  18.    #18  
    Do you guys have text messages plan with treo with no data plan?

5.00 unlimited text? and no data?
    I write my e-mails, with photo attachments, during the day, and send them when I sync at home.

So, though I'm tempted, I only have minutes, no data.

p.s. - I have Cingular which is quite pricey, on the data side
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  20.    #20  
    thats a good idea, atleast they are all ready to go when you sync.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast