Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's just a possibility but do you think somebody like Suzan DelBene of Microsoft who's the opening keynote speaker for the CTIA conference in SFO next month might say something?

It was the launching site for the 650 last year.

http://www.wirelessit.com/general/keynotes.cfm

Just a thought.
    That's a reasonable guess. Since there's already a working prototype, the timing would be good for an annnouncement and demonstration.
    I'm sure Palm wouldn't mind getting Microsoft's marketing support.

I wonder if that would mean a Cobalt Treo announcement would be held off for another time...
    I doubt that we would hear anything from Palm at CTIA.
    Is that your professional opinion or just a gut reaction? I believe we might.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    DrDoom

Just noticed your signature, and I hate to rain on your parade, but it will be a cold day in a very hot place before anyone sees Cobalt. Just think, it's almost on its two year anniversary and NOT A SINGLE COBALT PDA. It either sucks big time, or is the Edsel of the computing world.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    DrDoom

Just noticed your signature, and I hate to rain on your parade, but it will be a cold day in a very hot place before anyone sees Cobalt. Just think, it's almost on its two year anniversary and NOT A SINGLE COBALT PDA. It either sucks big time, or is the Edsel of the computing world.
    Well, I like my Edsel. It's the best car ever made. Period.
    It'll be fun.
    DrDoom

Also, on a serious note. I truly believe you're wrong. Cobalt as it was originally concieved will probably never see the light of day, but something called Cobalt will. I don't really care if it's Cobalt 1.1 or Cobalt revision 4,694, as long as its a multitasking PalmOS that has NOTHING to do with Microsatan, you know?
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Also, on a serious note. I truly believe you're wrong. Cobalt as it was originally concieved will probably never see the light of day, but something called Cobalt will. I don't really care if it's Cobalt 1.1 or Cobalt revision 4,694, as long as its a multitasking PalmOS that has NOTHING to do with Microsatan, you know?
    Yes, I share that same love for M$oft that you do, so I'd love to see a Palm-whatever stay on top of Windoze Mobile. However, it may be too late as the bean counters appear to be in control and short term profit may be all she wrote. As I said in another post here on TC, all signs point to the Treo being a weapon in the M$oft attack on RIM and the corporate email world. Activesyinc in the latest Versamail works pretty good - if Windoze Mobile 5 really implements push email on an Exchange server, what better way than to stunt RIM by tying onto the best smartphone hardware out there?
    ...but I still believe that with the return of Hawkins to the fold we may see a resurgence of Handsprings™ old "going against the grain" philosophy. That COULD mean a PalmOS handheld as it holds with that line of thinking. I fear you may be correct, but that's my line of reasoning for a POSSIBLE Cobalt Treo™.
    On an unrelated note, typing "™" is fun.
    It'll be fun.
    Given that the current OS is getting long in the tooth, why has Cobalt not been released? Also, with Palm (reportedly) now preparing to use Microsoft 5.0 on a new version of the Treo, does anyone read that as a sign it won't be doing Cobalt?
    MadSuburbanDad
    Diary of a Mad Suburban Dad
    Selected "Best of MSN" Website
    MadSuburbanDad;
    Palm's reason for not doing Cobalt had in part to do with the investment they made towards making Garnet usable for their devices, and also that Cobalt in many respects was not ready (even in 6.1) for prime time. A compnay with finaincial issues such as they last year, coudl ill afford to hinge the whole company on an OS that developers didnt even fully back.

Does preping a WM Treo mean there will be no Cobalt/Garnet/PalmLinux one? NO. Simply, Palm has to make sure they can make money. If investigating other platforms that are getting better while the PalmOS isnt means they at least have a plan of keeping their name and devices in our pocket, then thats a good sign. Yes, most of the users that have had PalmOS for a while do not want WM. But it would by no means be a bad idea for Palm to release ONE WM model with their most recognizable nameplate. That would be called capitalizing on the market perception on your product. Not great long term stragety, but good enough in the short term to help folks keep their jobs.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Antoine of MMM

I understand your thinking, but I'm afraid you may be wrong. A company such as Palm, that's on the ropes financially, CANNOT afford to support two completely different operating systems. You could argue that a Garnet and a Cobalt line (on the higher end phone) could be do-able, but Garnet and WM5 are like trying to support Mac and WinXP on the same platform - it just doesn't make sense. Support would be a nightmare - what might work with one OS on one hardware set may be a software problem in the other OS, or it could be a hardware problem - who knows.

If they are really working on a WM5 Treo (which I believe they are) then it it is adios for Palm OS. Verizon and Sprint are racing towards real 3G, and I'm sure Cingular is in the hunt as well. Cobalt stumbled miserably at the starting gate (there's still not even a PDA in Cobalt clothing), and real EV-DO access is going to demand TRUE multi-tasking - something Palm can't deliver. Enter WM5.....

Remember - two short years ago, this was the company trumpeting the Treo 600 as just the first in a whole family of Treo related smartphones. Well, they got one stepchild out the door (T650) and now they want to change parentage - a doomsday scenario if you ask me.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    True, however if some of the other rumors are true, such as HTC building the WM5 edition, Palm may have (almost) no involvement in that model.

I think a Palm OS based, er, Palm Treo, is probably a stretch, but not 100% unlikley. Sad really that Palm OS dropped the ball.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I'm deathly afraid Palm will have a Windows Mobile version of the next Treo out before a PalmOS version of it.

Joe
    Thanks Antoine
    MadSuburbanDad
    Diary of a Mad Suburban Dad
    Selected "Best of MSN" Website
    You should put a question mark in your title since you're really asking a question. The way you've phrased it, you make it sound like there's some indication that there will be an announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...but I still believe that with the return of Hawkins to the fold we may see a resurgence of Handsprings™ old "going against the grain" philosophy.
    ??
    I don't recall Hawkins ever leaving Palm after the Handspring merger a couple years ago. I know he's been doing the brain stuff part-time...
    I understand your thinking, but I'm afraid you may be wrong. A company such as Palm, that's on the ropes financially, CANNOT afford to support two completely different operating systems.
    Palm is not "on the ropes financially." They are very profitable and revenue is growing rapidly. And they're sitting on $100 million in cash. (PalmSource on the other hand, is on the ropes...)

You could argue that a Garnet and a Cobalt line (on the higher end phone) could be do-able, but Garnet and WM5 are like trying to support Mac and WinXP on the same platform - it just doesn't make sense. Support would be a nightmare - what might work with one OS on one hardware set may be a software problem in the other OS, or it could be a hardware problem - who knows.
    It's called growth. When you create a new product, sometimes that product requires its own support and investment. How do you handle this "nightmare"? You hire more people and dedicate them to this new product. That's how small companies become big companies.

PalmOS-based products generate a billion dollars in revenue and $400 million in profits for Palm. It makes absolutely no sense to walk away from that unless the market demand for PalmOS-based products dries up. But again, revenue is growing.

Palm already dominates the PalmOS handheld market, and it's using its very successful Treo brand and technology to jump into what's turned out to be a bigger and faster growing market.

As you said, Palm talked about a "family" of Treos. If they kill off all the existing (PalmOS) Treos when they launch a WinMo Treo, they'd be left with just one Treo again!
    Palm is not "on the ropes financially." They are very profitable and revenue is growing rapidly. And they're sitting on $100 million in cash. (PalmSource on the other hand, is on the ropes...)

PALM has 350 million cash as of june 30th, 2005. They also generated 35 million cash in the 3 months up yp 6/30.

Only 35 million total debt.

PALM financially at its best shape ever and getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack

PALM has 350 million cash as of june 30th, 2005. They also generated 35 million cash in the 3 months up yp 6/30.
    I was looking at May 2005 data, but it shouldn't be too far off...
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=PALM&annual
    That $350 million figure probably includes short term investments.

Only 35 million total debt.
    That's long term debt...

PALM financially at its best shape ever and getting better.
    Yup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast