Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ...I meant symbolically. Hawkins has been absent from every press release and media regarding the Treo for the last year, if not two. I've seen no interviews with him until this recent one. I trust Jeff to come up with a winning product a hell of a lot more than anyone else up there.
    I can here the conversation a year ago as the 650 (which I do love) neared release.
    Colligan: So Jeff we've got the new Treo ready to go. You wanna do something cool to leak it like last time.
    Hawkins: Sure! Lemme see the specs on the final design. Did you fix that memory thing?
    Colligan: Uhhhhh...
    Hawkins: What about the Bluetooth? You know how bad they all whined last time. Did you get those kinks worked out?
    Colligan: Bluetooth's on there.
    Hawkins: Ed, you haven't fixed either one of those problems have you?
    Colligan: We're gonna! We just need some feedback from our beta testers.
    Hawkins Who's beta testing it?
    Colligan: America.
    Hawkins: You know what? I think I'll pass this time. I'm sure you guys can come up with some good buzz without me.
    Colligan: But Jeff! You're the "Godfather" of handhelds! We NEED you!
    Hawkins: Well, al...HEY! What's that over there???
    *points to other side of room*
    Colligan: Where?!?!
    Hawkins: Later sucker!!!
    *running down the hall cackling madly*
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    looks like someone was working the mailroom at palm (one)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    LMAO - Doom - that's so real (almost scary). I hope you're right about Hawkins' return to prominenece (ala Jobs) but I have doubts that the bean counters at Palm will really listen to him.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    CTIA will be something worth paying attention to. As the original poster said, it's very likely that we'll hear some interesting news then...or so a very informed little birdie told me.
    Looks like Palm will have a major presence at CTIA (9/27-29), perhaps the biggest of all the companies attending.

A large exhibit space: first floor floorplan (pdf)
    And a very large "exhibitor meeting room": second floor floorplan (pdf)
    Very few companies rent meeting rooms.

I've never been to a CTIA conference. What do they do in the meeting rooms, aside from doing huge product launches? Does Palm (the device company) have a need to meet with developers? How about resellers? And exactly how have the prior Palm or Handspring product launches been handled?

And here's something interesting...
    The main exhibit space is labeled "PalmOne" in the floorplan. But the meeting room is labeled "Palm, Inc." which seems to indicate that they made the decision to rent the (huge) meeting room after their initial decision to have a presence as an exhibitor. That is, one decision was made before July 14 (the date of the name change), and the other was made after. One way of looking at it is, whatever they’re using the meeting room for, they weren’t sure about it when they signed up for the main exhibit space before July 14. It doesn't appear to be business as usual activity for Palm at CTIA.

To me, this all says that Palm will announce something big on Sept 27. I have no evidence that it’ll be a WinMo Treo, as opposed to say, another PalmOS Treo, but I’d certainly be disappointed if it didn’t happen (as would anyone else who buys into this rumor I’m helping to feed). (And since this is a wireless conference, this wouldn't be the ideal place to launch a regular pda or even a new Life Drive.) If you like to gamble, er invest, this might be a good time to pick up some PALM shares. The sales potential of a WinMo Treo would be huge relative to Palm's current sales, and so the stock price could make a big move.

Comments? Other plausible explanations?
    Last edited by samkim; 09/12/2005 at 10:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Looks like Palm will have a major presence at CTIA (9/27-29), perhaps the biggest of all the companies attending.

A large exhibit space: first floor floorplan (pdf)
    And a very large "exhibitor meeting room": second floor floorplan (pdf)
    Very few companies rent meeting rooms.

I've never been to a CTIA conference. What do they do in the meeting rooms, aside from doing huge product launches? Does Palm (the device company) have a need to meet with developers? How about resellers? And exactly how have the prior Palm or Handspring product launches been handled?

And here's something interesting...
    The main exhibit space is labeled "PalmOne" in the floorplan. But the meeting room is labeled "Palm, Inc." which seems to indicate that they made the decision to rent the (huge) meeting room after their initial decision to have a presence as an exhibitor. That is, one decision was made before July 14 (the date of the name change), and the other was made after. One way of looking at it is, whatever theyíre using the meeting room for, they werenít sure about it when they signed up for the main exhibit space before July 14. It doesn't appear to be business as usual activity for Palm at CTIA.

To me, this all says that Palm will announce something big on Sept 27. I have no evidence that itíll be a WinMo Treo, as opposed to say, another PalmOS Treo, but Iíd certainly be disappointed if it didnít happen (as would anyone else who buys into this rumor Iím helping to feed). (And since this is a wireless conference, this wouldn't be the ideal place to launch a regular pda or even a new Life Drive.) If you like to gamble, er invest, this might be a good time to pick up some PALM shares. The sales potential of a WinMo Treo would be huge relative to Palm's current sales, and so the stock price could make a big move.

Comments? Other plausible explanations?
    Great find, and great analysis. I think you may be on to something.

I'm just really hoping its not another "Mobile Manager" product.
    Not that big. Nokia is bigger.

They (Palm) better put up a good show I will tell you that.
    Actually, I was including their meeting room space on the second floor, though I admit that if it's used in a different way, the room may not be comparable to "normal" exhibit space.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Not that big. Nokia is bigger.

They (Palm) better put up a good show I will tell you that.

They will
    Is there anything you'd like to share with us?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    It's possible that the show will showcase the new palm devices coming out, not the new treo (s)

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    that's it I'm going ... Who's with me !?!?!?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    if NO new Treo is announced I think it will be a big mistake on Palm's part, even if it's still a couple of months out. Also if they do it better be something another than the addition of EVDO. The competition is heating up and we can't wait forever on Palm.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    new Tungsten X to be announced and Dell will have a new Axiom with WM5 that has a VoIP client...NO new Treo slated to be announced at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    new Tungsten X to be announced and Dell will have a new Axiom with WM5 that has a VoIP client...NO new Treo slated to be announced at this time.

than my feeling is even when they do, it want be loaded like the PPC 6700.
    I hate to say it but I'm thinking about moving over to the dark side. This thing is the same size as the 650 (if not smaller) just a little thicker, but not by much. And after reading the specs. it's what I want (except for the WM 5). WIFI, EVDO, speed, size, great keyboard etc.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Is there anything you'd like to share with us?
    I really cannot say much more except to pay attention to wait for CTIA. We'll get good news then...some of which we may already know and also I expect some surprises...but you can count on a Treo announcement.
    aetherion, I hope you are right and I am wrong but my sources say NO Treo announcement at CTIA. If you cannot confirm we will get anything more then we already know then why would you need to protect your sources?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12