After many months of research and waiting for my phone plan to expire, last night I went out and got a Treo 650 with a Cingular plan.

I wanted to thank everyone here, posters and admins, for all the help this site provided in making my choice. This is my first Palm device, so there were a LOT of things I didn't know and wouldn't have learned but for places like this.

Thus far, I am generally liking the Treo. I set up a Bluetooth headset (Plantronics 2500) with no trouble and have used it successfully. Bluetooth syncing with my Windows XP laptop took a little more work (about 45 minutes of fiddling) but works fine. Connecting to my accounts (ISP and gmail) took a little fiddling (for some reason, gmail refused to work until I connected via POP using an email client on my laptop) but works fine.

There are some complaints -- in general, the Palm software and corresponding PC software feels a generation or two behind the curve (Windows 98 install screens, having to play with network settings that should be automatic, etc.). However, I already see the advantages this device has to offer, and expect to see more and more as I explore it further.

So thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand
    After many months of research and waiting for my phone plan to expire, last night I went out and got a Treo 650 with a Cingular plan.

I wanted to thank everyone here, posters and admins, for all the help this site provided in making my choice. This is my first Palm device, so there were a LOT of things I didn't know and wouldn't have learned but for places like this.

Thus far, I am generally liking the Treo. I set up a Bluetooth headset (Plantronics 2500) with no trouble and have used it successfully. Bluetooth syncing with my Windows XP laptop took a little more work (about 45 minutes of fiddling) but works fine. Connecting to my accounts (ISP and gmail) took a little fiddling (for some reason, gmail refused to work until I connected via POP using an email client on my laptop) but works fine.

There are some complaints -- in general, the Palm software and corresponding PC software feels a generation or two behind the curve (Windows 98 install screens, having to play with network settings that should be automatic, etc.). However, I already see the advantages this device has to offer, and expect to see more and more as I explore it further.

So thanks everyone!

Welcome aboard! I feel exactly the same. I've been a Palm user since '99, but just purchased my Treo 650 about a month ago. It does present some challenges (due to NVFS) that I hadn't encountered before, but heck, problems are us.
    David
    I just got my Treo 650 less than a week ago. Loving it so far, even with the soft resets. it's a labor to keep up with things and find applications to fix problems, but this phone has kept me productive and on top of things. Something my Nokia couldn't do.

The Treo 650 is the best investment I have made in a gadget so far. I love the fact that all these 3rd party apps make it customizable.

I've been a lurker on this board for a while and glad I made the purhcase.
    buy yourself volumecare - a must have app for $9 bucks

oh, and search for toccer, if you are into AIM chatting

peace