1.    #1  
    is this possible can someone point me in the right way if its out there thanks for any help in advance
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Dont think so... sorry
    CASIO SF-7900 > Palm III > PalmVX > Palm m505 > Palm Tungsten C > Treo 650
    SD cards. 8Mb - 64Mb - 128Mb - 256Mb and 1Gb
    www.simnet.is/lappari
    Very possible and being worked on right now.

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckweasel
    is this possible can someone point me in the right way if its out there thanks for any help in advance

While I do not know for sue. There is not enough memory for any version of Red Hat IMO. You should call Red Hat if you are really interested. I think it may be a short call though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5
    While I do not know for sue. There is not enough memory for any version of Red Hat IMO. You should call Red Hat if you are really interested. I think it may be a short call though.
    I don't think he asked for a specific distribution.....

I'm sure there are a ton of embedded OSes out there that could work once you get the hardware to play nicely.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Exactlly, RedHat is designed for PC's and Servers, it was never intended to load onto a smart phone., You can't just download a distro and see if the install works on the Treo, it will have to be built from scratch, which sounds exactlly like what Shadowmite is doing. At least imho
    Red Hat sux,

Go SuSE!!!

Well, that won't work on a Palm either.... But will be better on a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5
    No PC variant of Linux will be smartphone compatible. Whatever is able to work, will have to be a completely custom and compiled kernel. But Shadowmite is on the right track and I'm sure we'll all see it soon.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    You would be amazed at what you can shoe-horn into a device like the Treo. I installed the "Familiar" distrobution, available at Linuxdevices.org, into my 16mb iPaq a couple of years ago, and it worked great.

The only issues I would predict is writing drivers for the weird memory model that the Treo 650 has (heck, that broke a lot of Palm Apps, never mind what it'll do to linux), and getting any sort of phone app to work. Both would probably have to be written from scratch.
    Well if they can get Linux to work, they can get gcc ported. If they can port gcc, you'll be able to move pretty much everything over.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    Very possible and being worked on right now.

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664
    Actually, reading thru that made me think that its more possible to do the WM Treo as it looks to alrready be basically setup for it. Interesting aint it :0
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by master1m
    Doom needs a new Treo before then! Doom cannot stomach having the same device for more than a year, and Doom DOES NOT want to switch to Windows. Doom may be unable to resist, though.
    *walking off staring at picture of Treo670*...shiny, new Treo. Must have new device. Need multi-tasking OS...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    You guys are thinking way too big. An entire distro is a unearthly request. What's really in a distro? The Linux kernel, software apps, and a couple of GUIs. All we really need is the kernel and we can make our own environment. For an example, check this out, I recently compiled the uClinux kernel for an iPod, and used several user developed resources to complete the sequence. Don't try putting Red Hat on a cellphone, probably not a good idea, you have to remember that the architecture of a phone is not necessarily the same as one of the PC. You would have to customize the kernel to run based on the existing hardware. It's quite complicated and difficult to explain, so instead I would like to point you to an existing project for porting linux to a portable device. http://ipodlinux.org

Perhaps asking these good people on how this all works and using their experiences with similar devices to our advantage would be a good start?