Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmonova
    still missing but very helpful:

small built-in scanner for businesscards & phonenumbers out of magazines and papers

I think you're probably talking about something like OCR enabled technology for the integrated camera. I agree that would be cool, but I doubt current digicam tech found in smartphone can support this (maybe in Japan, Korea perhaps). Nice idea though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Hmm...
    All right, all right .....
    You convinced me about clamshell.
    However that will kill the one hand functionality, which is one of the biggest strength of the existing Treo's 600 & 650.
    Do you mean a palm based sidekick?
    Umm....no sidekick; sidekick ain't a clamshell!

First of all, about one handed functionality...the only thing I use one handedly is the 5-way, right? The 5-way is what's really "one of the biggest strength of the existing Treos". I'm sure most of you use two hands for typing...and how often do you have one hand tied down? Not many....but if you're sitting down, you could rest the clamshell on a table/whatever to press the buttons on it as you can see the screen a lot better (it's a mini laptop).

And secondly....even if you do happen to have only have one hand available, you'd still be able to use a clamshell phone with that lone free hand. Pick up your Treo and hold it sideways in your hand like a widescreen clamshell....if the d-pad were in the corner of the keyboard (like the Zaurus C3100), there'd be no problem with one handedness. The ONLY time I could imagine you needing to use two hands is to open the device up to use any non-phone function....and even then, you prolly could open it with one hand, but I wouldn't recommend it as that's an awfully drop-prone method.

Also, think of this clamshell device as a smaller (slightly smaller than the 650 w/out antenna) Universal with a C3100 keyboard and an external screen/keypad like the Nokia Communicators or whatever they were called. That's my dreamphone!
    i say make it thinner, ditch the camera, add EVDO and GPS. battery life, screen and keyboard are all great on the 650.
    Better camera at least a 1.3
    able to run flashlite
    louder speaker
    more, way more memory
    A slot for Pop-Tarts. They already perfected the cooking temp.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

- Stability
    - The ability to walk and chew gum at the same time
    - Enough memory that I won't get laughed at by Windows Mobile folk
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben74
    i say make it thinner, ditch the camera, add EVDO and GPS. battery life, screen and keyboard are all great on the 650.

q phone thin would be nice. also, a sliding keyboard
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    What I want is:
    Bigger Screen
    Bigger Keys (only if retaining Pocket-Size)
    Better Color & Hi-Res Camera (only if retaining reasonable pricing)
    Built-in iPOD (minimum 10G-15G capacity)
    That's ALL what I want, so there.
    I'd love iTunes functionality. Ditch Real Player and give us iTunes, with the ability to download songs directly onto the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    I've been holding off on getting the 650 because it doesn't really have any significant upgrades to my beloved 600. Here's my wish list. I may be more of a realist than many on here. Most of the requests on here if implemented would cost as much as a decent laptop and weigh as much as a brick.

1. No Camera!!! Please do not waste precious space in the form factor for a camera with useless resolution. Anything less than 3 megapixels is terrible. I have my digital camera for that. At the very minimum, keep making the cameraless models for those of us not allowed to have cameras on our cell phones. (Government/Military)

2. No Wi-Fi!! Make it an add-on SD module. I don't use it on my laptop unless we're traveling and I'm in my hotel. When I'm on the road, PDANet is fast enough. That's true mobility!!!

3. I want a vibrate function I can actually feel!! My old Nokia use to scare the crap out of me.

4. 64MB of NVFS and 128MB of RAM. I don't want the slowdown from NVFS. I backup to my SD card every night. Long gone are the worries of losing data.

5. Keep the antenna the way it is. As anyone who's studied electronics and electromagnetic wave propagation theory could tell you, the bigger the antenna, the better the reception. Besides, I use mine to take it out of it's case. I'd drop it more if I didn't have it.

Time to take my wife to dinner, I'll post the rest of my list later. Happy wife, happy life!!

*Posted from my Treo 600*
    Okay, so you are basically asking for more memory and different memory options. Already have the great vibrating and you seem to want no change to the current wifi situations, antenna, and no camera if you want it.

Only make wifi with an SD card if memory is bumped up to 2GB so that there's no need for SD memory cards.

How mobile can you be walking around your hotel room with a cell phone attached to your laptop? Seems like a balancing act to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    Well, perhaps WiFi could be for non american models, like up in Canada where the only known "unlimited" data provider was Fido, for _$50_ a month, and doesn't seem to offer even that anymore. Right now I'm strongly considering an alternative phone next simple because of the small screen and lack of WiFi.

Hearing $10 from Sprint makes me sick (and a bit envious )
    If the American version lacked wifi, while the other ones had it, I'd be outraged. Wifi still means a lot unless Evdo comes out and is priced similarly to Sprint's unlimited plan - $5-10 premium maximum. If it's $80 as has been quoted (or even half that) it's not worth it for the 15 minutes a month I use it.
    I think the next treo should have a swivel camera. So that the camera can face you, and you can use it as a web camera for chats.
    Bluetooth that works at a decent distance...throw in version 1.2 while they're at it.
    WIFI.
    Decent amount of memory. 128Mb is a nice round number.
    Easily removable camera. That way one could take it out for those camera banned zones.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyray1_11204
    What I want is:
    Bigger Screen
    Bigger Keys (only if retaining Pocket-Size)
    Better Color & Hi-Res Camera (only if retaining reasonable pricing)
    Built-in iPOD (minimum 10G-15G capacity)
    That's ALL what I want, so there.
    iPod functions would be way kool!!!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234