Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Oh yeah... where is Weebitobsessed with the leaked pics of the next gen palmos Treo?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    LOL, you guys kill me. You know, and I know, that no matter what the enhancements are, each of us will be scrambling to buy them when it's released.
    If it does have EVDO and Sprint has reasonable pricing plans, there's no way I'm not getting one. But I'll be sure to cheer on the dissenters so that I can move up in the initial-order line.
    IMHO 64mb is too little too late. If it is EVDO, so we can skip the whole WiFi experience, then it needs to multi-task and store much more information without the SD card two-step. Yes, I'm a good little ZLauncher/Powerrun soldier, but those days are severely numbered. If there was anything I liked about PPC (not much exactly) it was a file structure that was very much like Windows, where I don't have to worry about storage/memory issues. In other words, I'm D@&^ tired of playing 1980's type extended memory games to juggle my programs.

Put some memory in the D@&^ thing (256mb minimum) and make the memory architecture transparent to the user.

Rant off.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 08/15/2005 at 10:26 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Let's say that the new Treo has EV-DO (which I think it will) and Sprint charges an unreasonable fee for EV-DO, can we still sign up for the regular CDMA 1x vision? I hope you can.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I want to know what os this thing has? Frankengarnet or Coblat?!! I hope that latter..
    Soo...if we've got a Palm Linux OS in the works FOR SURE....why would developers waste time with a Cobalt kernel?? That's what I'm wondering?

I'd be pretty sure that Palm's going to stick with OS5 for a couple reasons. I'd obviously prefer a Cobalt version over a Garnet version if Cobalt were the future...but it's not!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Oh yeah... where is Weebitobsessed with the leaked pics of the next gen palmos Treo?
    He's in the pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Let's say that the new Treo has EV-DO (which I think it will) and Sprint charges an unreasonable fee for EV-DO, can we still sign up for the regular CDMA 1x vision? I hope you can.

Al
    I read on another thread that Sprint will charge $30/mo for EV-DO. That's perfectly fine by me. I said I wouldn't upgrade until they EV-DO became $10 or $15/mo....but I might bite at $20 or $25/mo. At least as soon as I get the Treo 900...sure!
    Could not be more disappointed about the drawing of the 700. I was waiting for a lot more than the same bulky form factor.
    How may times can Palm rearrange the same buttons on the same device?
    The antenna is STILL there and the thickness is STILL the same. Have you guys seen how cell phones look like these days?
    I’m also willing to bet money the SD card slot is still exposed (and prone to losing cards) and the headphone jack STILL needs a special adaptor for listen to music – I’m reaching here since this is all speculation, but these small issues make the Treo amateurish at best in the ‘non-geek’ consumer market.
    Palm has a great chance to reach into this much larger market and has done some inrows in this area. You can already see celebrities and “cool” people sporting a Treos out and about. There’s definitely a wow factor to the Treo, but you still can’t escape the geekness of the size and it's corks.
    It seems like Palm cannot hire qualified people to take this product to the next level. They are still paying the early adopter gadget game. Let’s hope on that from that they will finally support WiFi.

I feel stuck with the Treo and Palm OS being a Mac user. Worst, I need a GSM phone to be able to travel and change Sim cards.
    This 700 has nothing for me yet. I’m still on the 600 because I felt the 650 was too minor of an improvement. Looks like I’ll be waiting for the 800 or some other company to step up to the place.
    I have a feeling Treo is only selling as much because there’s nothing better in the market – and “nothing better in the market” unfortunately does not mean it is good.

Palm V/Treo 270/Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro_treo700
    Could not be more disappointed about the drawing of the 700. I was waiting for a lot more than the same bulky form factor.
    How may times can Palm rearrange the same buttons on the same device?
    The antenna is STILL there and the thickness is STILL the same. Have you guys seen how cell phones look like these days?
    I’m also willing to bet money the SD card slot is still exposed (and prone to losing cards) and the headphone jack STILL needs a special adaptor for listen to music – I’m reaching here since this is all speculation, but these small issues make the Treo amateurish at best in the ‘non-geek’ consumer market.
    Palm has a great chance to reach into this much larger market and has done some inrows in this area. You can already see celebrities and “cool” people sporting a Treos out and about. There’s definitely a wow factor to the Treo, but you still can’t escape the geekness of the size and it's corks.
    It seems like Palm cannot hire qualified people to take this product to the next level. They are still paying the early adopter gadget game. Let’s hope on that from that they will finally support WiFi.

I feel stuck with the Treo and Palm OS being a Mac user. Worst, I need a GSM phone to be able to travel and change Sim cards.
    This 700 has nothing for me yet. I’m still on the 600 because I felt the 650 was too minor of an improvement. Looks like I’ll be waiting for the 800 or some other company to step up to the place.
    I have a feeling Treo is only selling as much because there’s nothing better in the market – and “nothing better in the market” unfortunately does not mean it is good.

Palm V/Treo 270/Treo 600
    Hi tundy, long time no see
    How long typically from rumor to market ? Available at verizon that is ?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I read on another thread that Sprint will charge $30/mo for EV-DO. That's perfectly fine by me. I said I wouldn't upgrade until they EV-DO became $10 or $15/mo....but I might bite at $20 or $25/mo. At least as soon as I get the Treo 900...sure!

A tripling or doubling in the data plan price (I currently pay $10) is EXACTLY what would make me avoid the next Treo like the plague. I'm willing to be the first beta-tester and pay $600 to get the new Treo on day 1, but NOT an extra $120-$240 EVERY year on top of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    A tripling or doubling in the data plan price (I currently pay $10) is EXACTLY what would make me avoid the next Treo like the plague. I'm willing to be the first beta-tester and pay $600 to get the new Treo on day 1, but NOT an extra $120-$240 EVERY year on top of that.
    I look at it like Cable Internet vs. Dial Up. Cable cost a lot more, but I could never go back to Dial Up no matter how cheap it.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is an awful Photoshop mockup. They've taken the existing Treo 650 and made some tweaks here and there. Hardly a professional job. And if this *does* turn out to be a mockup of the real deal, then that's just sad because the design is just a boring update to the current 650 design.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    the design is just a boring update to the current 650 design.
    As was the 650 as compared to the 600...virtually the same phone except for some nice improvements. It was a successful design, so you stay with what works.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    As was the 650 as compared to the 600...virtually the same phone except for some nice improvements. It was a successful design, so you stay with what works.
    So, why not innovate a little? 320x480 screen over sliding keyboard?

BECAUSE

They ain't no money in the coffers. That distinction will be reserved for generation 2 of the WM5 version to come in 2007.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I like it. I look forward to it. The design wasnt the problem. The 23 megs of usable RAM is a problem.

23 megs!

23 MEGS!!!

I think its good lookin and likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I look at it like Cable Internet vs. Dial Up. Cable cost a lot more, but I could never go back to Dial Up no matter how cheap it.

That's true, but I'm already paying for DSL at home. I don't want to have to pay the same for DSL on the go. (Although from their POV, why should Sprint charge any less for DSL on the go?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    And if this *does* turn out to be a mockup of the real deal, then that's just sad because the design is just a boring update to the current 650 design.

At first, I might agree. But if this Treo packs affordable EV-DO AND Cobalt, that's a big step forward for Palm, and I'll be first in line.

A year ago, when the 650 was released, I said I'd be happy buy extremely surprised if Palm put 3 of the 4 into the next Treo:

EV-DO
    Cobalt
    WiFi
    Hi-Res+

Looks like we got 1-2, closer to what I honestly expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    That's true, but I'm already paying for DSL at home. I don't want to have to pay the same for DSL on the go. (Although from their POV, why should Sprint charge any less for DSL on the go?)
    I always said "I Will Never Pay For Satellite Radio In My Car!" Guess what I'm about to have installed in my truck? So, I think in the end most of us will pay more for faster internet on our Treo's.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    This is a bad photoshop hackjob....... I think that the pics of the Treo 670 show a continued advancement in keyboard, d-pad, and button design which is exactly where these design teams would look to take the product. The Bluetooth 1.2 is a no brainer and interestingly enough (and not that I'm a big MS fan) but the Windows Mobile 5.0 was also a no brainer. Here I sit with my Windows XP, and the latest Outlook and I have my data being synchronized to Palm Desktop which provides me ZERO value. With a native Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to boot with WIN Mobile 5.0, this just makes this phone a true enterprise player. I'll hate to see Palm OS go but frankly, it's become a little long in the tooth as a platform and hasn't really changed much.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast