1.    #1  
    I'm a fairly longtime Blackberry user, and have decided to give the Treo a try to gain the functionality (the BB PDA apps suck) and to get down to a single device for phone and PDA.

I have to admit, though, that I'm struggling with the form factor. I think its 3 things combined - the thickness of the unit, the length with the antennae, and the fragility.

With my BB devices, I would literally drop them 5 feet onto concrete several times a month with no problem. I'd throw them into my car and not worry at all about damaging the unit. The Treo just seems BIG and FRAGILE.

Will I just get over this?
    With luck and perseverence. If you are not Palm savvy to begin with, I wish you a short and shallow learning surve. Stick with it and watch this forum - both worthwhile. Short answer - do it.
    So you over here to start a fight?

http://www.fionaharrold.com/cards/im...419391cats.jpg

Happy now?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

Happy now?

??????????????????? WTF

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

The Treo IS fragile, especially the screen. Why wouldn't you just be more careful with it? Get a screen protector and a case.
  6.    #6  
    Oh I will be more careful with it, I'm just trying to decide if the added trouble is worth the added functionality, and if the fragile nature is something you get used to over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damager
    Oh I will be more careful with it, I'm just trying to decide if the added trouble is worth the added functionality, and if the fragile nature is something you get used to over time.
    Have you ever owned a real PDA? I'm not trying to be a smarty or anything. I'm asking with genuine interest. Most PDAs cannot be thrown around or tossed about the way people tend to treat cheap cell phones.

The fact that the device has a touch-sensitive screen (which by its very nature is subject to impact damage), makes the Treo more fragile than your typical cell phone.

Since Blackberrys don't have touch-screens, camera lenses, styli, antinas, SD card slots, or removable batteries, their construction is somewhat less complicated (fewer moving parts or interfaces to be broken).

Dropping or otherwise being careless with a Treo is not a good idea. There is always a trade-off in durability versus complexity in components.

Can you drop a toaster and still have it work like new? Usually. But don't expect it to be able to do anything but make toast. Drop your rotissorie toaster oven (which is more versatile) and you can expect something to break.

E-mail=toast
    Blackberry=toaster
    Blackberry makes decent "toast", but not much more.

Treo=rotisserie toaster oven
    Treo makes good "toast", chicken, roasts, french fries, etc. In other words, a meal.

To use another analogy: Treat the lady with respect and she'll perform well. Treat her badly, and you'll suffer the wrath of her scorn when you least expect it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Can you drop a toaster and still have it work like new? Usually. But don't expect it to be able to do anything but make toast. Drop your rotissorie toaster oven (which is more versatile) and you can expect something to break.

E-mail=toast
    Blackberry=toaster
    Blackberry makes decent "toast", but not much more.

Treo makes good "toast", chicken, roasts, french fries, etc. In other words, a meal.
    nice analogy
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget

My Treo won't cook a roast, should I demand a replacement? Or is that a third-party app?
    Never argue with an *****; people watching may not be able to tell the difference. - Author unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by fly888
    nice analogy
    I thought the other one was better...
    Last edited by Christinac130; 08/11/2005 at 10:33 AM. Reason: ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMike
    My Treo won't cook a roast, should I demand a replacement? Or is that a third-party app?
    Hahaha! You need to add the "rotissorie skewer" application. You can get it from PalmGear's Kitchen apps section.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I thought the other one was better...
    I thought you might.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

13.    #13  
    Hey Insp_Gadget - thanks for the well thought out post. I have been using Psions, Palms, and PPC's for years to keep schedules and todos. I guess whats new here is having to treat the Treo like the fragile thing that it is while also carrying it around all the time. I'm just not sure the added functionality is worth the added trouble. But thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMike
    Just use the same instructions for a roast. It's a hidden feature.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...08&postcount=1

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by Damager
    Hey Insp_Gadget - thanks for the well thought out post. I have been using Psions, Palms, and PPC's for years to keep schedules and todos. I guess whats new here is having to treat the Treo like the fragile thing that it is while also carrying it around all the time. I'm just not sure the added functionality is worth the added trouble. But thats just me.
    Well, as with most things in life, whether it is worth it or not will depend on how you use it, how much you put into it, and what you consider to be important. The wonderful thing about the technilogical world we live in these days is that you have a CHOICE--Many choices, in fact.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

Happy now?
    I love your avatar!
    ^^

Have you dropped the Treo? I have. I don't think it's fragile. Maybe its weight make it inherently easier to break, but that's because it has a big 1900mah battery.

When I dropped it, **** flow out (battery cover, sim card, stylus), and it got a couple dents on the side and the raised oval thing on the top, , but the phone works.

Also the LCD screen is lower than the keyboard and the edge, unlike other PDA and phones. I bet the center of gravity is at the bottom side of the phone too, but I am too lazy to check.
    Last edited by whatever7; 08/11/2005 at 01:42 PM.
    I'm just not sure the added functionality is worth the added trouble. But thats just me.
    It is worth it. Especially if you have imap email and use chattermail. As good as the blackberry at email, plus you have all the functions of the Palm. There are some really good cases out there that would let you throw it around a little.
    it's more like comparing a HP Calculator to a laptop computer.

you can drop the calc and have no issues...you drop the laptop, you are in a world of hurt.

BB=Calc
    Treo=Laptopp