Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    I just got one of those, but it is very cumbersome and doesnt work in your pocket, it needs line of sight with the satelites..
    It's also something else that has to be charged separately.

B-model - Nextel has made a whole business out of putting GPS in the hands of business folk. Think about why. You are traveling, but you don't know the nearest place to get a good bite to eat - look it up and get directions to it. You need to find out where Paul is because he's late for a meeting. If he set up his phone to share his direction with the rest of the workgroup, they can see he's on he's on the way.

Look at the response that KMaps has gotten on this board. Imagine if it had GPS built-in.
    ^^ It's not that different from buying a TomTom navigator kit.

Plus HP6500 (or whatever that's called) can fill your need in this tiny niche.

Google map aren't even optimized for GPS, google earth is. You can't bookmark on google map.

Eventually CDMA folks will bring cheap GPS to the mass market, it may take a while.

P.S. You rather track your co-workers's location instead of calling him? That's just creepy. The first thing I do if I am given such a phone from work is to turn that off.
    bmacfarland -

Good point. Nextel has been very successful w/ thier version of GPS - my father's business has 20 or more handsets inuse w/ the GPS locator. I have never owned a Nextel product so I can't comment on how it "works". Though, the idea is great in there business model.

maybe your right, and ToolKit as well - maybe the desire for GPS IS the thing "Consumer's want" - though I still stand by one point --

the basic improvements of the next Treo, in the area's of Memory, form factor, appearance, phone qualiity, OS - need to take first priority and thus make up the core cost of the phone - if a 4 gig drive adds $100 to the phone, a GPS program (assuming the phone are GPS/ 911 enabled) needs to take a back seet to alow pricing including the 4 gig.

just a thought guys, but thank you for responding to my opinions
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Simple answer:

Yes. If it's cheap. If it works great. If it doesn't eat up battery power. Dreaming? Yes.
    Ahhh simple, but very well said.
    da Gimp

The upcoming treo competitor the HP 6700 will have wifi G, bluetooth (with the A2DP profile) and real GPS plus TomTom software in a package only slightly larger (and slightly thinner) than the treo. In this game the only way to stay alive is to keep running.

Surur
    What about a version with a camera and another with a GPS? I would give up my camera immediately for a GPS. I probably use the camera 4 or 5 times a month.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    the 6500 IPAQ's have really lousy screens.
    I kindof like the idea of GPS, but for Automobile Navigation it might be a bit tricky to use. Because you'd have to have your phone mounted far enough under the windshield to reliably see satellites, at which point (depending on car) it might be hard to use it.

I like the bluetooth gps becuase you can toss the reciever anywhere under the windshield, or even on the back of the car and still get signal.

For something like geocaching or golf, the built in GPS would be perfect.
    Well, GPS phones dont have to be necessary more expensive or bulkier,

Look at the european version of Motorola A780 here:

Motorola A780

and the maps service:
    ALK maps

the phone will be released (GPS version, the non-GPS is already available) by Sep2005, there is at least information form german provider that will sell it from around 400EUR (460$).
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I would like it but does it take a seperate radio? (if so, I definitely don't think it will be in the next treo.)
    Yes, but it is a receiver, not a transmitter. Fairly low power consumption. Still the impact on battery life is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    isnt that Treo mostly targeted to the business community? somehow email and trail hiking don't seem to go together?
    You forget the Starbucks locator, maps, turn by turn directions, and golf. Golf!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The upcoming treo competitor the HP 6700 will have wifi G, bluetooth (with the A2DP profile) and real GPS plus TomTom software in a package only slightly larger (and slightly thinner) than the treo. In this game the only way to stay alive is to keep running.

Surur
    I think this is really the most important point. Competition is going to drive the feature set in the future. There is no point in releasing a product that only does half of what your competition's does for a similar price in a similar package.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I think this is really the most important point. Competition is going to drive the feature set in the future. There is no point in releasing a product that only does half of what your competition's does for a similar price in a similar package.
    Agreed. However, in this case it is Sprint, not the market, that says who the competition is. It is Sprint, not the market, that says what the feature set should be. Sprint understands that the longer the feature set, the more compromises must be made in the design, that hard choices must be made. It is probable that Sprint's choices will be different from ours. For example, since Sprint already knows where phones are (from their registration on cells) they are not likely to rank GPS very high. Although I am a big GPS user/fan, since I already have two BT/GPS receivers and like the seamless BT glue, even I do not rank it very high.
    Whmurray -

Using your theory for Sprint -- with the nextel merger done, I would think they would WANT GPS in the next Treo -- the logic as follows
    - Nextel has mostly business customers.
    - Sprint wants to appeal to those customers.
    - The treo is a great phone for a business person.
    - Add GPS to TREO's feature set, appeal to the Nextel customers who already have GPS.

The treo owers normally spend more monthly then other Sprint Customers (noted in various articles) Getting the Treo into the hands of NExtel customers, I would think, would be a financial success for Sprint. Add GPS and PTT (under Iden) and ....

and...
    da Gimp

Does anyone know waht it would intal to add PTT (under Iden) to the treo (i.e. not on the sprint CDMA servcie?)
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    Whmurray -

Using your theory for Sprint -- with the nextel merger done, I would think they would WANT GPS in the next Treo -- the logic as follows
    - Nextel has mostly business customers.
    - Sprint wants to appeal to those customers.
    - The treo is a great phone for a business person.
    - Add GPS to TREO's feature set, appeal to the Nextel customers who already have GPS.

The treo owers normally spend more monthly then other Sprint Customers (noted in various articles) Getting the Treo into the hands of NExtel customers, I would think, would be a financial success for Sprint. Add GPS and PTT (under Iden) and ....

and...
    You miss my point. Sprint wants, and has, "locator" function but does not need "GPS." They know where the phone is and can make that information available to the phone.
    yeah - i go that -

maybe I don't get the nextel portion -- does netel offer GPS or just the locator? I would thing sprinit would want to offer whatever current Nextel customer's have.
    da Gimp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast