Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nope, Perry that's not it. It specifically stated that the team of researchers found that people using a headset were 4 times as likely to get into a car accident than those just using the phone itself. Probably fumbling around with wires (as I said, probably they didn't use BT)
    I started out with a bluetooth, but returned it because of all the static when my 650 was in it's case, in my pocket, or more than a few feet away.
    Anyway, I used my corded earpiece for a while, but quickly discovered that it was a huge distraction and that I was much safer without it.
    The cord was always in the way and the earpiece out of adjustment. I spent at least 4 times the attention with that thing over simply holding thw phone to my ear!
    -jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Yes, I am an quilty of answering work emails while driving down the freeway at 75 MPH -- not good.
    I've been known to use BT to get my laptop online...while driving. So I can browse web and check email. I know it can wait till I get home, but with longer commutes and bumper to bumper traffic, it comes in handy. Also makes the time much more productive.
    -Lucidity
    The real issue is that most people do not / cannot drive a car or ride a motorcyle correctly in the first place.

80% of drivers on the road should not be there. They lack the skill and discipline to operate the vehicle safely. The only reason there aren't more deaths and accidents is sheer luck and technology advancements.

That said, if you do not use a headset while driving, you a moron with a death wish. Please unbuckle your seat belt, accelerate to 80 MPH, and drive straight in the nearest concrete wall, tree, or pole. Please make sure no one else is around. Thank you for your cooperation in saving lives.

I don't even touch dial - everything is voice dial. This to me is the best/least distracting method of phone use, and I can do everything (minus email and IM) with voice alone.
    What a bunk study.

700 people in one city that had serious accidents (requiring hospitalization), and if they had a handsfree device or not.

All it proves is Aussie in Perth crash their cars. It ignores all the minor fender benders.

This is bunk research at its worst.

You are inherently a worse driver if you are holding a cell phone. Period. Two hands on the wheel always beats one. Therefore, handsfree is inherently safer.

Now, whether talking is a factor is a different issu, but I doubt it, because people talk to each other in cars all the time.

It's looking at the phone, dialing the phone, and holding the phone that is the danger....that and generally incompetent drivers.
    Mike, please remember that I'm not saying this is the be-all end-all answer to how safe cellphones are to use in cars. I happen to agree with you that no matter what, it's never completely safe. I'm just presenting another way of looking at it.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    What a bunk study.

700 people in one city that had serious accidents (requiring hospitalization), and if they had a handsfree device or not.

All it proves is Aussie in Perth crash their cars. It ignores all the minor fender benders.

This is bunk research at its worst.

You are inherently a worse driver if you are holding a cell phone. Period. Two hands on the wheel always beats one. Therefore, handsfree is inherently safer.

Now, whether talking is a factor is a different issu, but I doubt it, because people talk to each other in cars all the time.

It's looking at the phone, dialing the phone, and holding the phone that is the danger....that and generally incompetent drivers.
    i so agree. i have been talking to people in cars for years. i use caution. i feel if i am on my bt headset, i am almost safer than chatting with a friend in the car because i am not ocassionally looking at them while chatting.
    Mikec makes sense.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123