Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Theory One: These photos are real, get over it.
    Nah, I don't believe it. For some strange reason, people with nothing better to do seem to enjoy tricking people with fake photos. I'm sure there are those who also can do the same with video...

Theory Two: Verizon could possibly be the first to release this 670...
    I suppose anything's possible, but I don't believe it. Why would Verizon be releasing this before the other carriers?[/QUOTE]

Theory Three: PalmSource will die and then Palm will die. Somebody mentioned that this is better for Palm, but I don't see it happening in the longrun. Palm has the momentum for now, but there is sooo much money to be spent by the WM phone companies! HTC doesn't even design PDAs, they recognized that the market is going to be smartphones...EOS! Other hardware companies will continue to spend money on designing a better phone than Palm....and eventually they will have the larger mass/momentum than Palm.
    Why would Hawkins buy Palm back, only to let it die on the vine? No matter what anyone says, Palm is NOT going away. I've read this same sort of thing about Apple Computer for 15 years, and they're certainly not going away. I see the same thing going on here; there will be new OS advances, and perhaps Palm will move to a Linux- or Unix-based OS, but I seriously doubt they would go to Windows CE, for several reasons: 1) they'd have to pay licensing fees, and 2) they'd be relying on another company for the OS for their hardware, which means they'd be completely at the mercy of whatever Microsoft decided to do with Windows CE, and 3) it's just too buggy.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I dont understand why its so impossible for VZW to releaase something first. Sure they are always late for the "testing" but they are really pushing EV-DO and may see it as a chance to get on top before Sprints network comes online fully. Seems like a good idea to me.
    As far as windows based..I'll wait for a palm unit
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I still doubt that this is real; given the way that the video was done, I wonder if it was pieced together from a combination of altered images and original video... not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I shudder to think of trying to use a phone running with Windows. It would mean that I would never buy another SmartPhone if the only choice was Windoze CE.

I certainly hope Palm will do what I expect they will do, and continue their own OS. I seriously doubt that Palm would rely on M$ to write the operating system for their Treo line. For that reason, I don't believe the 670 is real.

But that's just my opinion...
    and how many windows powered smartphones have you actually owned or extensively used???

In my experience, windows is just as or a bit more stable than my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva
    and how many windows powered smartphones have you actually owned or extensively used???

In my experience, windows is just as or a bit more stable than my 650.
    I've never bought a Windows-powered smartphone, nor will I... some may have had good luck with a Windows CE-powered unit, but judging from the mountain of bad press that Windows CE has gotten, I think I'll steer clear. I know it's gotten better over the years, but I don't think I'll take my chances with any handheld running Windows. Having written software for many years on PC machines running various iterations of Windows, I finally got tired of all the trouble and moved to a more stable platform.

I've been using Palms since the very first Palm Pilot; although I do recall some bugs over the years, I still have to say that my experience with Palm OS has been excellent. I refuse to believe that Jeff Hawkins is going to abandon Palm OS after all these years, to go with an OS that has had lots of problems over the years. Also, I don't think that Palm, Inc. would drop their own OS to go with one that has to be licensed, and over which they have no internal control.

As to not having bought a Windows-based handheld, all I can say is that I follow reviews fairly closely, and Palm OS has consistently gotten the nod over Windows CE, at least in the articles that I've read. I never bought an Edsel, either...

Bob
    I wondered why I was suddenly seeing Hawkins name alongside Palm articles after so long an absense. In what sense has he "bought Palm back"? Did he purchase a majority share? Did he buy them out right? Is it him or a company he works for?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I wondered why I was suddenly seeing Hawkins name alongside Palm articles after so long an absense. In what sense has he "bought Palm back"? Did he purchase a majority share? Did he buy them out right? Is it him or a company he works for?
    Jeff Hawkins is back at Palm as Chief Technology Officer; here's a quote from Palm's website:

"Jeff brings nearly 20 years of technical expertise to his role as Palm's chief technology officer. He co-founded Handspring with Donna Dubinsky in July of 1998 after five years together at Palm Computing. In 1994, Jeff invented the original PalmPilot products and founded Palm Computing. He is often credited as the designer who reinvented the handheld market.

Jeff currently holds nine patents for various handheld devices and features. His vision for handheld computing dates back to the 1980s, when as vice president of research at GRiD Systems Corporation he served as principal architect and designer for the GRiDPad and GRiD Convertible. Prior to that, he held key technical positions with Intel Corporation. "

I believe I read that he had bought a majority stake of Palm, Inc., but couldn't find any articles other than the press release at Palm's site.

Personally, I think this is a great omen for Palm's future...

Bob
    Last edited by longterm; 08/07/2005 at 10:45 PM.
    The idea of Hawkins being back makes me believe our beloved Treo line will only get better! That's ALMOST as good as if Handspring were still making the damn things! Cool.
    It'll be fun.
    Jeff Hawkins is back at Palm because Handspring was purchased by Palm (0.09 shares of Handspring for each share of Palm). Jeff didn't buy Palm.

Palm is likely not going away. Like Apple, they will serve a smaller and smaller portion of the market with a specialized, innovative product line.

Palm (until recently PalmOne) and PalmSource are two separate companies. Palm recently renewed it's PalmOS license greement with PalmSource (through 2009) subject to PalmSource meeting certain OS development goals.

The phone in question in this thread is stamped Verizon because it is being tested on the Verizon network. It doesn't mean Verizon will be the first to bring it to market.

Palm has stated in the past they are agnostic to the OS. Last November word got out they had linked up with Microsoft for a PPC license. (link )
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, to be fair you had to buy a kit (which I think was more than the MSRP of the phone) to do this. But you're correct, VZW did offer it for awhile.
    That's a silly comment. The 1-year contract price of the phone was $170 - the kit was ~$100 ($89 was what I paid). MSRP of the phone would have been ~$350 - making it a $450 bluetooth phone at MSRP. Not cheap, but none of them were 4+ years ago.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    The real question about Hawkins is whether he's really putting his effort into Palm or whether he's just there because Palm wants his name and his noncompete keeps him from working in the same field anywhere else.

I'm not seeing much in the way of smartphone innovation from Palm since the acquisition. Just the 650, whoopdeedoo.
    if these pictures are real, I hope they can find a way to make the display take up the whole screen. That border looks terrible.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    My eyes may be deceiving me, but aren't these images of the same device pictured around feb 05, on the same site? http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030035535/ The brushed squared buttons, the camera, etc. Someone on the engadget site even commented (in feb) that the picture may be of a 650 prototype. I personally think its a hoax, atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    My eyes may be deceiving me, but aren't these images of the same device pictured around feb 05, on the same site? http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030035535/ The brushed squared buttons, the camera, etc. Someone on the engadget site even commented (in feb) that the picture may be of a 650 prototype. I personally think its a hoax, atm.
    actually those pics cam from TC

here
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I seriously doubt that Palm would rely on M$ to write the operating system for their Treo line. For that reason, I don't believe the 670 is real.
    I have heard the same logic applied to Apple when rumors emerged that Apple may be considering a switch to Intel. Low-and-behold, some time later, Steve Jobs announced Apple's switch to Intel.

The truth is, PalmOS is way behind in terms of architecture and framework. The PalmOS API hasn't changed all that much in the past 5 years.

It doesn't surprise me that Palm wants to offer devices that use a current operating system, an operating system that is constantly making new innovations and has a foreseeable future.
    I would switch to windows mobile on a treo in a heart beat.
    I like the OS ALOT better, but the phones I've seen up to now have been too big(Samsung).

I left an iPaq behind for the treo because of the size and the decent combination of pda + phone with keyboard. The iPaq though had a far better contacts database, calander and media player built in. I'm also a fan of MS Reader. Plus I really miss the TODAY (at a glance) screen of Pocket PC.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    "Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you."
    Quote Originally Posted by hariustrk
    I like the OS ALOT better, but the phones I've seen up to now have been too big(Samsung).

I left an iPaq behind for the treo because of the size and the decent combination of pda + phone with keyboard. The iPaq though had a far better contacts database, calander and media player built in. I'm also a fan of MS Reader. Plus I really miss the TODAY (at a glance) screen of Pocket PC.
    ...but all those things could be integrated into the next PalmOS if they'd just get off thier asses!!!
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by hariustrk

...except the MS Reader, I guess.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I dont understand why its so impossible for VZW to releaase something first. Sure they are always late for the "testing" but they are really pushing EV-DO and may see it as a chance to get on top before Sprints network comes online fully. Seems like a good idea to me.
    As far as windows based..I'll wait for a palm unit
    Captain Caveman. Color me impressed.
    It'll be fun.
    since some of the pics have already been posted almost 6 months ago, is it possible that what we are all seeing are just abandoned prototypes of the 650??? that these pics and videos are ancient history?

that might explain a lot of things:
    > why we are seeing a VZW brand for a next gen prototype
    > why the form factor (including the antenna) hasn't changed and looks clunkier if anything
    > perhaps Palm & VZW were playing around with WMS before they decided to stick with PalmOS
    > VZW decided to bring in i730 with WMS instead
    > in spite of all these "leaks", Palm hasn't sued or tried to shut down TC!!!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast