Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Dang it....I'm a VZW customer and was about to get my 650 in the next few weeks...now I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. I figured if the 670 was in fact coming out soon, it wouldn't get to VZW until 2nd QTR of 2006. Wonder if they'll be coming out with two new versions...a palm OS and the PPC OS (not really wanting to get the windows version). Oh well...been waiting for months for the 650, another few won't hurt me.
    has anybody discussed what it says in the lowe left of that photo: "DVT (development??) Sample" and "Not for...." what is that a "P" ? "Not for public...release? " can we get a photo without the thumb!!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Dang it....I'm a VZW customer and was about to get my 650 in the next few weeks...now I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. I figured if the 670 was in fact coming out soon, it wouldn't get to VZW until 2nd QTR of 2006. Wonder if they'll be coming out with two new versions...a palm OS and the PPC OS (not really wanting to get the windows version). Oh well...been waiting for months for the 650, another few won't hurt me.
    Given that VZW just released the T650 and the Samsung i730, I would not count on this potential Treo being released by VZW anytime soon. I would be surprised if we see a next Treo release by VZW before Q2 2006.
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    If it helps Palm to survive ...
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    If it helps Palm to survive ...
    <merged>
    If only for your unselfish acts
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch
    Given that VZW just released the T650 and the Samsung i730, I would not count on this potential Treo being released by VZW anytime soon. I would be surprised if we see a next Treo release by VZW before Q2 2006.
    Having it released on VZW first would definately be a suprise, but with the photos of a VZW model running around....I dunno.
    ...but I still believe the VZW logo is just a logo. Maybe Palm branded each of their "test" devices with a different carriers logo, and didn't tell the people they gave them to about it. Theirfore, roc a fella THINKS he's safe from retribution because he covered up the serial #, but in actuality they'll be able to tell who he is from his carrier logo. Or at least which group of people he belongs to. Scary thought, ain't it? I suppose we'll know for sure if the "Cobalt" pics he promosid are ever released. If he gets 'em then no one at Palm's on to him (or his "friend", I can't remember where he said he got access from). If not then they've caught him and his access to their beta products has been cut off.
    Or possibly his "friend" has decided "Hey *******! I'm gonna lose my job if you don't cut that **** out!"
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I'm not saying I believe the rumors.. but would it make sense the test an evdo enabled phone w/verizon as they have a more established evdo network than sprint so far?.....
    keep in mind:

Palm said at the roadshows and webinars that they built full blown working test phones. that they went through several designs before the 650 which they didn't use. In fact this phone is similar to one of the prototypes they showed slides of.

at the roadshow they has cingular att and verizon braded phones even though sprint was going to be first and only for a while.

this phone says "development (dvt) sample." and "not for" something maybe resale maybe public release

Plam said they were exploring other OS platforms. have to build a phone to do that

so... although this phone exists we don't know if it the next treo or one of the many prototypes that don't see the light of day usually.
    oh yes, one more thing. given the reaction to the "ace" articles and photos last time around, I bet some folks are going nuts this weekend. I would not be surprised to see action monday morning to supress this
    Everyone seems to be basing their speculation on this new device because it has VZW branding, and as we all know, they are the latest to get the treos. But, think about this. The current 650 only has 1xrtt data...and vzw has been HEAVILY pushing their EVDO service, so they may believe that the Tro 650 isn't cutting it. They could just simply replace the T650 with this new device, touting that it is the "upgraded" version. They are really pushing out a bunch of new phones that are 3g data enabled-i don't see why they would be happy with a 1x treo. And, I would assume that people aren't buying the treo based on the fact that it isn't EVDO, but they have to pay the same price for data.
    With regard to the confusion of the Verizon branding and why it seems out of place... It could be the simple fact that Sprint has an exclusive sales agreement for the Palm Treo with the Palm OS and that a Palm Treo with a Microsoft OS is not part of that exclusive sales agreement.

Might be interesting to see what branding exists, if any, on the Cobalt OS Palm 670 that Roc a Fella has said he should have in the not-to-distant future.

Just a thought.....
    Has verizon ever been first to market with modern phones? They got their first BT phone just last year and even that was crippled.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Having it released on VZW first would definately be a suprise, but with the photos of a VZW model running around....I dunno.
    I do not believe Verizon will be the first out with this device, a simple look at their track record with previous Treo models I think is pretty good evidence to support that. What I think is going on with the Verizon logo is 2 things:

1. I imagine Palm gives test units to all the wireless carriers they have partnerships with so that they can at least begin initial testing and someone simply managed to get ahold of the Verizon unit. It is very possible Sprint has one or many of these units as well and is actively testing it.

2. It was necessary to give Verizon a test unit. Its pretty much a foregone conclusion the next CDMA Treo will have EV-DO and since Verizon is the only one right now with a widespread EV-DO network that is up and running, they are the only carrier available to test the EV-DO capabilities of this Treo.
    I'm having trouble finding the specs for the new Treo...can someone provide me a link or repost them here? I also saw someone on Howardforums asked about a GSM model. Does anyone have any info on this as well?

Thanks!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    Has verizon ever been first to market with modern phones? They got their first BT phone just last year and even that was crippled.
    The Samsung i730, i700, and i600 were all originally Verizon phones. I had my first Bluetooth phone with Verizon back in 2001: the Moto 270C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    The Samsung i730, i700, and i600 were all originally Verizon phones. I had my first Bluetooth phone with Verizon back in 2001: the Moto 270C.
    Well, to be fair you had to buy a kit (which I think was more than the MSRP of the phone) to do this. But you're correct, VZW did offer it for awhile.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Theory One: These photos are real, get over it.

Theory Two: Verizon could possibly be the first to release this 670...they do have a larger EV-DO market, no? But it definitely goes against Verizon being the most conservative of all the carriers. The Sprint deal with Palm could be over PalmOS Treos...or it could be a timed deal that ended with the 650....who knows?

Theory Three: PalmSource will die and then Palm will die. Somebody mentioned that this is better for Palm, but I don't see it happening in the longrun. Palm has the momentum for now, but there is sooo much money to be spent by the WM phone companies! HTC doesn't even design PDAs, they recognized that the market is going to be smartphones...EOS! Other hardware companies will continue to spend money on designing a better phone than Palm....and eventually they will have the larger mass/momentum than Palm. I completely agree with another poster's comments in that the WM phone companies are cut throat!! If Palm subjects themselves to that type of torture, so be it. I guess I won't have my Linux based cell phone and I'll be stuck with buying some clamshell device from Sharp (I do hope they add a cellular radio to their clamshell Zauruses!!!).
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    My skepticism has just kicked in now that I've seen the Windows flag.
    I still doubt that this is real; given the way that the video was done, I wonder if it was pieced together from a combination of altered images and original video... not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I shudder to think of trying to use a phone running with Windows. It would mean that I would never buy another SmartPhone if the only choice was Windoze CE.

I certainly hope Palm will do what I expect they will do, and continue their own OS. I seriously doubt that Palm would rely on M$ to write the operating system for their Treo line. For that reason, I don't believe the 670 is real.

But that's just my opinion...
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast