Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021
    Check this out. I just read it today.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...6583_tc081.htm
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I don't understand why they pick a number so close to 650.

"Oh I brought this new mp3 software for my Treo."
    "What's that for? Treo 600, Treo 650?"
    "Yeah I just got one of those keyboard phone."
    "You have a Treo 670. It doesn't work."
    "Wha?!"

Before you guys jump on me, how many people remember the exact model number of your last three phones?
    Treo 300
    Treo 600
    Treo 650

But seriously, if you are going to spend $600 (or more), you should probably know what OS your phone runs. If you don't, then you get what you deserve. It's kind of like not knowing if you have BMW 320, 520, or 720 (I'm not a car expert, just guessing that those exist).
    Agreed -- when spending that much money on a "phone?": where you can spend siginificantly next you should know what the hell you r buying
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    ...But seriously, if you are going to spend $600 (or more), you should probably know what OS your phone runs. If you don't, then you get what you deserve...
    [WARNING - Rant On]

Absolutely. There's no doubt that some folks have been snake bit (at least if you read the rants on Treocentral). BUt let's get real - hundreds of thousands of the 600 and 650 have been sold, and consumers are not tearing down the walls of Palm's offices.

Both of mine have been as trouble free as most computers I've owned (particularly better than the one "Windows Not-Me" OS Compaq I had for a while).

Are they flawless: far from it

Is sound perfect: NO

Are they more powerful than any computer I owned up until 2000: Definitely. When you consider you have: (1) voice; (2) always on wireless data (on Edge, its 2x-5x of my old dial up connection); (3) email; (4) full Word & Excel editing capabilities; (5) PIM with synch; (6) camera (okay, okay - a 1995 camera - but what do you expect); (7) MP3 player (no iPod, but better than the iRiver and Rio's I had a few years ago); (8) able to handle up to 2GB of storage -- ALL IN A 4.25"x2.25"x0.75" PACKAGE.

Come on, let's get real here. For a guy who started with an IBM PCjr in the 80's, this thing is an unbelievable achievement. Compromise ridden - of course. Would I make a lot of changes if I were the Smartphone god - absolutely. Should we insist on improvements - most definitely.

But get a little perspective here.

[Rant Off]
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Well said dstrauss...
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    It's now on Engadget.com....sad, sad day!

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961/
    hahaha, i feel sorry for the fools who bought the 6700.

edit: actually i dont
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    If the 700w had the same 320x320 screen as the 650, I would agree with you. But it doesn't. The new screen is only 240x240. WTF?? I'll take the 6700 with the bigger, 240x320 screen.
    why not just get the even bigger screen of the 650 with 320x320?

edit: obviously i am purely talking resolution (the only thing thats important) but remember that the 240x240 was a guess and could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpart

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961/
    Yes.... Evil is taking over the world but I will not stop fighting, I will die fighting....
    because windows mobile only supports 2 square resolutions: 240x240 and 480x480
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpart
    I don't quite understand why everyone is so down on this new product. I think it's fantastic. I love the size and form factor of my Treo 650; but much prefer the Pocket PC software over Palm. I've got a Dell Axim X3i and love it. Palm seems so old-fashioned and out of date compared to Windows Mobile and given the chance I will definitely move to this new Treo.
    to quote Opie and Anthony and Brian Regan.... "This is not what were used to!"
    Or to quote strictly ballroom:

No new dance steps!
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    to quote Opie and Anthony and Brian Regan.... "This is not what were used to!"
    Exactly! Plus, since this is a Treo site, most of us are Palm OS users and may have an affinity for that platform. I am pretty much platform agnostic but have spent a good deal of money on Palm software. My wallet and I want to maximize the money spent, so I have a vested (or invested) interest in seeing the Palm OS platform survive. Plus, having more than one viable OS in the market is good for competition and hence god for us as consumers. I think there is some level of fear that the Palm OS could soon go away since the line between Palm and Microsoft is now somewhat blurred.
    i see this as good news. I wont buy one, but anything that halp palm live is ok with me.

btw, the reason i wont buy one is that the 650 is doing me right and i am not on verizon. i'm not a fan of pocket PCs, but I have never tried a WM device so I cant judge it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I will unstick this now since we now have the Treo 700 forum.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021