Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Are you aware that HTC manufactures the Treo 650? Given this, why is it so hard to believe that this is a prototype that Palm and HTC are working on together? I personally believe it is a prototype for the 650 that didn't make the final cut but the hardware is being used to test the WM version.
    Now, are my opinions less correct or accurate than yours because I didn't use 6" blue letters? I hope not!
    Yes I'm aware that HTC manufactures the Treo 650 and a ton of tother WM devices. I not saying your opinions are not just as "accurate", but we'll find out in around 5 months.

My linking to the old article about HTC was to show they've worked with carriers in the past to create WM phones that were CLONES of other products.

Ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    Sold by Palm Inc? I have no doubts something looking like a Treo, will have Windows on it... infact quite a few Windows devices already do look like Treo's.

If this was a Palm device do you really believe it would have that style of navigator and look the way it does?
    Yes. Sold by Palm. I'm not going to waste too much breath on this, but I'm sure you've noticed the Treo line itself has changed. As such, why should it surprise you that a new treo will look different from an old one? When Honda redesigns their civic, do you not think its a civic because it looks different? Yeesh. You seem to be all up on this conspiracy theory that HTC is stealing Palm's property and passing it off as their own, even using the same name. You must be a troll, there is no other explanation for you thinking something that looks like a treo, is made by Palm's manufacturer and SAYS TREO ON IT is not a treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Yes. Sold by Palm. I'm not going to waste too much breath on this, but I'm sure you've noticed the Treo line itself has changed. As such, why should it surprise you that a new treo will look different from an old one? When Honda redesigns their civic, do you not think its a civic because it looks different? Yeesh. You seem to be all up on this conspiracy theory that HTC is stealing Palm's property and passing it off as their own, even using the same name. You must be a troll, there is no other explanation for you thinking something that looks like a treo, is made by Palm's manufacturer and SAYS TREO ON IT is not a treo.
    Kurt, please, please, PLEASE!!! Someone at TreoCentral already knows this device exists. For my sake please just go ahead and release the info. Something conclusive, so all these people can stop already!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Holy Moderators!!! Kurt has morphed into me!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Holy Moderators!!! Kurt has morphed into me!!!
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Kurt, please, please, PLEASE!!! Someone at TreoCentral already knows this device exists. For my sake please just go ahead and release the info. Something conclusive, so all these people can stop already!
    Yeah whats the big secret, and where's the info? If this is truely a Palm Inc. device, (which I highly doubt) there are very few reasons for Palm not to confirm its validity.

I'm not saying this device doesn't exist, it's just not made by Palm Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    Yeah whats the big secret, and where's the info? If this is truely a Palm Inc. device, (which I highly doubt) there are very few reasons for Palm not to confirm its validity.

I'm not saying this device doesn't exist, it's just not made by Palm Inc.

What are you talking about?

There are tons of reasons why a company would not want to reveal info about future products. Palm's non-commital stance about the existance of the WM Treo does not prove or disprove anything. It's just good business practice. Afterall, doesn't anyone recall the huge FUBAR Palm experienced with the M505 rollout? They are not going to do the same thing again...

Besides, Palm's CEO has already stated that they are basically platform agnostic and did not rule out the possibility of a WM Treo in the future. This is established information. Furthermore, it would make lots of business sense for Palm to release a WM Treo. They would make tons of $$ in the short term. Recall, Ed Bradley himself said, "nobody gets fired for using M$." That said, a WM Treo does NOT mean the abandonment of PALMOS or Apollo OS or whatever the platform will now be called post Access acquisition. Palm has a lisencing agreement with PalmSource/Access until 2010 and rumors are that the next gen palmOS treo will be Cobalt (who knows). Furthermore, Palm has been hiring linux devs which would make sense if they plan on supporting palm Linux in the future...

Finally, Palm just like every other major OEM outsources its manufacturing to low cost Chinese ODM's like HTC. THis is no suprise here. They already do it with the current 650 and will do it with they next gen products...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/10/2005 at 09:56 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually, I know nothing more than what is posted in the forums. Mods are seperate from the editorial side. :-) I'm just as clueless as the rest of you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What are you talking about?...the huge FUBAR Palm experienced with the M505 rollout? They are not going to do the same thing again...

Here is some more info: http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2629

If Palm Inc releases a WM product I"ll stop development, and purchasing of all of their products. I'm against Microsoft and anyone who supports them.

If you're right, congratulations and good riddance.
    The honest truth is I originally believed this was just a demo phone as HTC is known to put PPC on EVERY device regardless what they WILL run in order to test the hardware and design of the phone. In addition I considered it would be career suicide for a Palm employee to agree to putting PPC on a Treo phone.

That being said, now that palm source is no more, it's no longer career suicide. Palm has sold out there legacy and become a equipment ONLY company. As such, I hate to say it, it'll be in there best interest to have as broad a equipment customer base as possible. That includes windows, linux and palm operating systems on there phones.

We will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    We will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Yep that's very true... I would argue that it's in no ones longterm best interest to support Microsoft.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    this tidbit ranks up there with my babysitter's boyfriends cousins dog walker type stuff. But...

Was at the ballgame with a friend over the weekend. He works for lucent selling tower gear. He got a blackberry and was busting on my 650 that it ways as much as oprah. (when I picked up his blackberry I think he's reletively RIGHT- the darn blackberry seemed to be like HALF the weight and it's even a bit larger- what's that about?). ANyhow we got to talking about the next treo and he said his tech geeks for EVDO (he's just a salesman remember- so he has some understanding but he doesnt install or debug or anything) told him that the verizon handset people told them their working on an EVDO Treo. Didn't know anything about MS or Palm or anything else like that.

Again- babysitters cousin info. And I think we can all assume the darn thing better have EVDO but figured I'd toss some info to repay all the nice folks here that shared stuff i learned from.
    Some talking heads on CNN mentioned this weekend that Verizon is "way ahead in broadband cellular footprint" and I assume meaning EVDO. That being the case, the Verizon logo on the WM5 Treo starts to make sense. As much as I hate PPC, it is much smoother in multi-tasking (noticed that with my short-lived Dell x50v - could do WiFi and spreadsheets the same time), and Palm's flop with Cobalt...

Oh my, I'm starting to believe this WM5 Treo stuff myself
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Some talking heads on CNN mentioned this weekend that Verizon is "way ahead in broadband cellular footprint" and I assume meaning EVDO. That being the case, the Verizon logo on the WM5 Treo starts to make sense. As much as I hate PPC, it is much smoother in multi-tasking (noticed that with my short-lived Dell x50v - could do WiFi and spreadsheets the same time), and Palm's flop with Cobalt...

Oh my, I'm starting to believe this WM5 Treo stuff myself
    ... ...
    It'll be fun.
    ... ...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    the darn blackberry seemed to be like HALF the weight and it's even a bit larger- what's that about?).
    If all you want is email, blackberrys are just fine... anything else and they blow. They're horrible cellphones.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I can't wait for all this arguing to be cleared up in 2 weeks...we can clear these boards of all the naysayers...
    The best thing that will happen to Treo will be a Microsoft OS. Too bad Palm makes crappy, buggy hardware.
    Ha Ha, MS blows chunks, no better..
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    The best thing that will happen to Treo will be a Microsoft OS. Too bad Palm makes crappy, buggy hardware.
    Actually, if you want to bash the hardware of the 650, you are bashing HTC which is a PPC phone maker. If you want to bash the 600's hardware, you are bashing Handspring which is no more...

Which is it?