Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 418
  1. #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    What would make you believe that? I personally have never seen a PPC virus in action, so they may not exist now, but if you think they won't, you don't know anyone involved in that lifestyle. I do. Mark my words, there WILL be viruses on PPC's and possibly Palms before the end of the decade.
    By the end of the decade is a rather long time. The current reality is that mobile devices aren't nearly as exploitable as desktop PCs, due to smaller, tighter, and more secure software, as well as the lack of "always on" connectivity that gives viruses such a large opportunity to propagate. For instance, no mobile device carries Outlook, whose HTML exploits provide for the vast majority of email viruses. Most mobile devices don't have open ports, or background services running, which allow direct-infection worms to spread. The only place that mobile viruses have met with any significant distribution is on the Symbian platform in Europe, where they can beam themselves to other Bluetooth enabled Symbian phones.
  2. #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Three new short videos on Engadget - looks like WM5 is coming:

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840053340/
    Those are about a month old, though youre right, it looks like WM% is infecting Treos...


    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    there WILL be viruses on PPC's and possibly Palms before the end of the decade.
    There already was a Palm virus and in response Symantec developed a Norton Antivirus app for the Palm. http://securityresponse.symantec.com...e.dropper.html

    As with other OSs (especially MS OSs) as they get more complex there is more room for errors to creep into the code. When that happens there are security risks. As our phones take on more functionality there is more room for them to be exploited. It's only a matter of time.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  3. #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The only thing that still makes me skeptical is that: (1) it's marked "Verizon" and I can't even remember the last time Verizon was FIRST with anything (seems they had a Palm OS flip phone that was huge, but was ahead fo even the Samsung i500).
    Samsung i700, i600, i730.
  4. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Three new short videos on Engadget - looks like WM5 is coming:

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840053340/

    The only thing that still makes me skeptical is that: (1) it's marked "Verizon" and I can't even remember the last time Verizon was FIRST with anything (seems they had a Palm OS flip phone that was huge, but was ahead fo even the Samsung i500). That had to be three years ago or more; (2) it looks like it is running in some kind of demo mode because it is openinf the start menu in two of the videos without using the D-pad.

    Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later - "Resistence is futile" sayeht the Gates.
    Huh? That story is dated 5 August and the videos are not new. Am I missing something?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  5. #325  
    IT'S NOT A TREO!@# It's a ripoff clone...
  6. #326  
    Just to give you some more info: I believe it's made by HTC and as you can notice, it doesn't use the same 5way navigator button since Palm owns a patent on it. Basically if they cloned that, Palm would sue them more than they probably already will.
  7. #327  
    Gyr,

    I don't care if your posts are in 6 foot tall type and the bluest blue available, it's a Treo. It says treo on it. If someone can "clone" a device and use the same name, well, it doesn't matter if they don't use the same shape 5-way....
  8. #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Gyr,I don't care if your posts are in 6 foot tall type and the bluest blue available, it's a Treo. It says treo on it. If someone can "clone" a device and use the same name, well, it doesn't matter if they don't use the same shape 5-way....
    Don't be a tool man... If I put Treo on my car dashboard is that a Treo too?

    All hype and no facts. Read more if you want: http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windows_mobile/
  9. #329  
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    All hype and no facts. Read more if you want: http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windows_mobile/
    Quote Originally Posted by Treonauts Blog
    In short, the videos are ultimately inconclusive.

    Personally, I'm convinced the hardware is real. I'm also convinced that PalmOne under Todd Bradley did at least look into making a Windows Mobile Treo. I'm not sure if the project is still active, and I'm not sure Palm, Inc. under Ed Colligan would release a Windows Mobile Treo.

    I just came across a very interesting News.com article in which Palm Chief Financial Officer Andrew Brown said that “building a Treo that runs on the mobile version of Windows might help the company woo corporate customers who have been reticent to buy its Palm OS-based gadgets”.
    Looks like Treonauts web site is becoming more and more convinced. Why are you in denial?
  10. #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    Don't be a tool man... If I put Treo on my car dashboard is that a Treo too?

    All hype and no facts. Read more if you want: http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windows_mobile/
    Would you like to make a little wager? 12 months from now, there will be definitive evidence of a Windows (mobile, smartphone, whatever) Treo.
  11. #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Would you like to make a little wager? 12 months from now, there will be definitive evidence of a Windows (mobile, smartphone, whatever) Treo.
    Sold by Palm Inc? I have no doubts something looking like a Treo, will have Windows on it... infact quite a few Windows devices already do look like Treo's.

    If this was a Palm device do you really believe it would have that style of navigator and look the way it does?

    As someone else stated:

    "It's not a treo, but a Verizone branded HTC unit. It has nothing to do with Plam inc. except being a total clone. Microsoft is running on clone war. They are cloning everything, the p900, the nokia 9000 buttons, the sidekick."

    By hyping this up as a Treo650 you're possibly helping Verizon/Microsoft recruit more Windows users.

    Check this out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01...ch_orangelike/
  12. #332  
    http://img.engadget.com/common/image...82879612205498

    Mr Falcon, maybe you need to look at the picture again. It clearly says Treo there, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Treo$ $is$ $a$ $Palm$ $trademark$. $This$ $means$ $ONLY$ $Palm$ $can$ $sell$ $this$ $particular$ $device$.

    Surur
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    http://img.engadget.com/common/image...82879612205498
    Mr Falcon, maybe you need to look at the picture again. It clearly says Treo there, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Treo$ $is$ $a$ $Palm$ $trademark$. $This$ $means$ $ONLY$ $Palm$ $can$ $sell$ $this$ $particular$ $device$.$Surur$
    Think whatever you want... If that device said "iPod" on it, I suppose you would think it's a new AppleTreo iPod player? Please don't be gullible, too many already are.


    Update: Oh my gosh, you are right...my distributer in hongkong just shipped me a sample of the Palm Inc. Treo700 take a look!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gyrfalcon; 09/09/2005 at 11:30 PM.
  14. #334  
    gyrfalcon,

    people can tell if something is a hoax or not. it's relatively easy. it's better for you to give up this side of the argument and try something else, like "this might be a test model only, which would not be put for mass production"
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
  15. #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by msafi
    gyrfalcon, people can tell if something is a hoax or not. it's relatively easy. it's better for you to give up this side of the argument and try something else...
    Hahaha, and snopes.com exists because people are so great at detecting hoaxes and mistruths.

    I'm not saying it's a hoax, but rather a clone which is NOT produced by Palm Inc.
  16. #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    Hahaha, and snopes.com exists because people are so great at detecting hoaxes and mistruths.

    I'm not saying it's a hoax, but rather a clone which is NOT produced by Palm Inc.
    Based on what?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Based on what?
    The biggest clue is the 5-Way navigator... There are indicators like the devices thickness, buttons, etc.

    If Palm wanted to put WM on the "Treo" they could easily do so without making it look like a clone/hack job. Don't you think?
  18. #338  
    So you actually want WM to run on a Treo 650, not a slightly cosmetically tweaked version so consumers could differentiate them easily? I think you are guilty of very fuzzy thinking.

    My train of logic:

    a) This looks like a real working device, not a mock-up.
    b) The Palm branding indicates it was commissioned by Palm
    c) Its meant to capitalize on the Treo 650's success, which is why it looks so similar.

    Doesn't mean this device will be released, but its certain that Palm asked HTC to make it.

    Your train of logic:
    I believe this device is a clone made by HTC which uses the "Treo" logo illegally to generate hype in forums like this. They didn't copy the Treo 5-Way navigator because that's patented and can't be removed like a silkscreen logo before the product release.
    Basically HTC cares a lot about internet chatter, and made up this mock up just for our entertainment.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/10/2005 at 10:01 AM.
  19. #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    By hyping this up as a Treo650 you're possibly helping Verizon/Microsoft recruit more Windows users.

    Check this out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01...ch_orangelike/
    Ahh - that up-to-date, 2.5 year-old article? I was wrong - you're possibly not in denial, you're more likely delusional. This is very entertaining.
  20. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
    Just to give you some more info: I believe it's made by HTC and as you can notice, it doesn't use the same 5way navigator button since Palm owns a patent on it. Basically if they cloned that, Palm would sue them more than they probably already will.
    Are you aware that HTC manufactures the Treo 650? Given this, why is it so hard to believe that this is a prototype that Palm and HTC are working on together? I personally believe it is a prototype for the 650 that didn't make the final cut but the hardware is being used to test the WM version.

    Now, are my opinions less correct or accurate than yours because I didn't use 6" blue letters? I hope not!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.

Posting Permissions