Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast
    humm.... I suppose my avatar is valid then? bwahahahahah! And I thought Palm was simply having a bad day with the shoddyness of the T650 software. It was just a prepairation for the future of the device.

Welcome to new age of PC. Yes that is Portable Crap not Pocket Computer.

Our only hope is Linux and the idea that once properly integrated it will create a programming platform that lends itself to be as open as it is on the PC's. But it will come too late to stop the onslaught of WinBlowsOS. And the ensuing mobile viruses explosion that will come soon after.

Any one know of a mobile os virus soft company or firewall company? 3G + Mobile windows = lotsa money for them. I want to buy stock

My only hope is that palm will be smart enought to make a smart device that allows you to choose the OS installed on it. Its nearing 100% PC capibility anyhow. I wouldnt be surprised if the next "micro sd" card is actually a small graphics card or sound card module.

Though then this does raise the question.... what next? this kind of mini power could change the fabric of the world....

-SB
    T650 - it will terminate itself!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier_bob
    Any one know of a mobile os virus soft company or firewall company? 3G + Mobile windows = lotsa money for them. I want to buy stock
    Old news.

Happened to be reading this thread, and saw a few things that needed annotation.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    HTC doesn't even design PDAs,
    HTC *DOES* build convential PDAs, in addition to smartphone PDAs. Their original designs are considered to be the best you can get. The now decomissioned iPaq 1900 and 4100 series, as well as the current Dell Axim X30 and X50 lines are all HTC built, as will be whatever Dell releases next--and whatever HP releases next, if they're smart enough to see that their in-house designs are killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    but I seriously doubt they would go to Windows CE, for several reasons: 1) they'd have to pay licensing fees, and 2) they'd be relying on another company for the OS for their hardware, which means they'd be completely at the mercy of whatever Microsoft decided to do with Windows CE, and 3) it's just too buggy.
    Palm is already paying licensing fees ($40 million a year), already relying on another company for the OS (PalmSource), and the latest POS builds aren't exactly a paragon of stability.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist
    It's nothing against MS, if people like and and want it, that's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist
    Then bring it on, IMHO people like you make the MS stranglehold complete.
    Have you taken your meds lately?

Quote Originally Posted by starshipxm
    No Axim phone. New Winmobile Treo to be sold by Dell.
    Not likely, and definitely not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by soldier_bob
    Any one know of a mobile os virus soft company or firewall company?
    Airscanner produce mobile firewalls and AV software, but it's unneccessary. There are no Pocket PC viruses in the wild, nor are there likely to be.
    Last edited by AdamaDBrown; 08/20/2005 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown

HTC *DOES* build convential PDAs, in addition to smartphone PDAs. Their original designs are considered to be the best you can get. The now decomissioned iPaq 1900 and 4100 series, as well as the current Dell Axim X30 and X50 lines are all HTC built, as will be whatever Dell releases next--and whatever HP releases next, if they're smart enough to see that their in-house designs are killing them.
    Grndslm never said HTC didn't build PDAs, he said that they didn't design them. Producing something and developing something are entirely different stories.

Also, there are several reports that Dell is in fact working on a smartphone. May not be on the market soon, but that doesn't mean they aren't trying.
    HTC might have not designed the treo. But they designed many other PDA's. including the ppc-6600, which is also called sx66.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    They designed all the ones that I mentioned, with the small exception of the X30's casing, which was a holdover from Dell's previous relationship with Wistron. The internals were all HTC.

Dell is definitely not releasing a phone this year, and they didn't sound like they had any plans to do so in the future when we talked to them.
    Those of you who are dismissing Dell as a possible future phone provider may want to read this Business Week article. http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2117_tc024.htm

While it does not refer to them specifically in phone production they are looking to introduce a version of the Axiom with a keyboard. They also are looking at going after RIM as everyone else is. Dell's business model seems to be let someone else invent the concept then try to latch onto it for the least amount of R&D possible in a slightly different form factor. I see they and HTC as being a great fit and remember before the Axiom they toyed with selling Palm products.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

But Palmsource's signing of LG is probably the single biggest proof that Palm Linux may in fact save the platform. The only problem is that the first PL smartphones are still nearly two years away. In the mean time I wonder if Palm will stick with FrankenGarnet or finally adopt Cobalt in the Treo...I hope and wager the latter...
    If you would sincerely wager that Palm will adopt Cobalt, I will take you up on it. Name your terms. How about something friendly like replacing the Canes letters on your avatar with a Florida Gator! (Not that I'm a Gator fan) Don't you get it? Cobalt = WMD. It'll never be found.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    gFunk

You know I usually agree with your positions, but this time you missed the mark. Two years is an eternity in the tech world, and by the time LG releases a Palmux smartphone, the whole market will have moved elsewhere. I'm afraid the M$oft juggernaut is about to do its usual thing - the OS is crap until version 5 or 6 (Windows 386 to Windows XP), then it's just like the Borg - resistance is futile.

I don't disagree with that. But realize PalmSource still sells alot of older Garnet and even OS 4.x lisences. In addtion they also have the Feature Phone income from their MobileSoft acquisition. Thus, while the current financial situation is not appealing, it is certainly not tenable to argue that they can't pull it off!

In addtion, PalmSource execs already stated that the Feature Phone product would come out before PL, which make sense since there are alot of those sold than smartphones...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    If you would sincerely wager that Palm will adopt Cobalt, I will take you up on it. Name your terms. How about something friendly like replacing the Canes letters on your avatar with a Florida Gator! (Not that I'm a Gator fan) Don't you get it? Cobalt = WMD. It'll never be found.

Why would I defame the lovely lady with a pic of the 'croc'?

Anyway, Oswin/GSL already mentioned they are shopping around their Cobalt smartphone. However it's uncertain whether anyone will actually support it.

In addtion, I think it's entirely possible the next gen Treo may have Coblat (very unilikely I agree though). I mean if Palm is willing to use WM, why not also gamble with Cobalt as well? I think it's possible that some of the criteria or 'developmental milestones' mentioned in Palm's lateset negotations with PalmSource regarding the lisence renewal may have stipulated certain conditions that may have made it ameanable for Palm do adopt Cobalt. More than likely the differences probably had to do with the driver/cobalt telephony support as alluded to in the article I linked to before. But with PalmSource's shift to PL, it might finally be worth for Palm to invest in Cobalt in the samw way LG has done... In short, I think Cobalt may be more possible than otherwise thought...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    We should start a paypal pool. I would put down 20 dollars that Cobalt will come, regardless of the WM5 version. I am putting money where my mouth is.
    better put some dates on that ... r u expecting it this year, next or 2007. I, for one, would like to see this bet made
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Let's say by March 2006.

Somebody wants to work out the odd of "Cobalt only", "Cobalt and WM5" and "WM5 only"? Throw in a 50:1 "Linux" option too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    If you would sincerely wager that Palm will adopt Cobalt, I will take you up on it. Name your terms.
    Don't you get it? Cobalt = WMD. It'll never be found.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Let's say by March 2006.

Somebody wants to work out the odd of "Cobalt only", "Cobalt and WM5" and "WM5 only"? Throw in a 50:1 "Linux" option too.
    Then there's also "Garnet only" and "Garnet and WM5"....

I'm taking Garnet and WM5 and the only other option I see happening before jan 1, 2007 is Garnet only....but it's a distant second.
    You guys keep forgetting the 'other' part of the rumor that Roc fella over at Hofo mentioned... That is the other Treo in development would be Cobalt based. I'm hoping he can get pics of the ver as well...

I'd like to see [more] pictures of these new Treos myself.
    the 'other' Treo rumor has been linked to Cobalt - both on this site and other.

No matter which bet you make it looks like we'll all be waiting till 2006 (very disappointing)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Three new short videos on Engadget - looks like WM5 is coming:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840053340/

The only thing that still makes me skeptical is that: (1) it's marked "Verizon" and I can't even remember the last time Verizon was FIRST with anything (seems they had a Palm OS flip phone that was huge, but was ahead fo even the Samsung i500). That had to be three years ago or more; (2) it looks like it is running in some kind of demo mode because it is openinf the start menu in two of the videos without using the D-pad.

Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later - "Resistence is futile" sayeht the Gates.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Airscanner produce mobile firewalls and AV software, but it's unneccessary. There are no Pocket PC viruses in the wild, nor are there likely to be.
    What would make you believe that? I personally have never seen a PPC virus in action, so they may not exist now, but if you think they won't, you don't know anyone involved in that lifestyle. I do. Mark my words, there WILL be viruses on PPC's and possibly Palms before the end of the decade.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.