Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    ...this is stressful! I don't want WM. I want to see what Palmsource can offer as far as an upgraded OS. They've got to adapt or die.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Kupe, yes, again I ask, what proof do you have? Not opinions, if you have opinions that is one thing but you stated it as a fact.
    It's your prerogative to disagree... both with my comments and my delivery.
    Kupe, where is the proof to back up your claims on battery life? It is all dependent on the user and their needs.
    Since he used the 650 as an example, the proof is that the 650 uses a 1900 mah battery, which is larger than most PPC devices. In fact, the very large Axim x50, which lacks in the battery life dept, only has an 1100Mah battery. ridiculous.

That being said, Palm's 'disconnected' PDA devices, including the T5 and lifedrive, are on par battterylife-wise as WM devices.
    WTF??..
    To avoid ctrl+alt+delete . I moved to Mac.
    If they take palmOS and force windows on Treo. I don't have anywhere to go.
    Probably , a linuxbased smartphone.
    have a look at
    this
    i hoped that the rumour would remain a rumour, but alas, palm is becoming windows :-(
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Kupe, where is the proof to back up your claims on battery life? It is all dependent on the user and their needs.
    I'm sure it's dependant on user and needs.

I have read similar stuff though before. I believe the issue is the fact that a windows device CAN do something more resembling multitasking so when the phone is asleep a windows device potentially is running alot more then a palm and uses more power.

I have a faint memory of my early pda days with a CE device- i think you had to shut everything down all the time to safe battery. Just minimizing them allowed them to keep running and use up the battery a bunch quicker. But that could be my imaginination.
    From a corporate standpoint, all of this makes sense. If I were a stockholder in Palm, I would want them to make devices using every conceivable OS that would make them money. Build it with Palm, or Microsoft, or Symbian's OS. Palm is nothing more than a manufacturer of handheld devices. Most people don't know that or even care.

For all the angst that some people seem to be going through over Palm developing a Treo with the Microsoft Mobile 200X OS, I would suggest they start to vent at PalmSource for not getting their rears in gear.

Why is it that NO ONE is building smartphones using the Palm OS other than Palm? LG signed on as a licensee, but no one has seen anything yet from them. There's GSpda and Qool mentioned on the PalmSource website, but nothing here in the US from them. The remainder (Kyocera and Samsung) are ancient at this point. Only Palm is making a Palm OS based smartphone in the US.

Can someone honestly say that they have cornered the market with this device? Is all the innovating that could be done, done? We've seen this before when PalmSource was part of Palm and the innovation completely lagged. Remember when the only innovating in the Palm OS arena was coming from Sony? I wouldn't buy one because all of their implementations were proprietary and they were expensive. But at least they were innovating. Heck, you want to talk about innovating? I had a Handera 330 and that was an awesome device... way ahead of it's time. They were the first with a higher resolution screen, collapsible grafitti area, voice recording, compact flash... That was a great device. It even used all of the old Palm III accessories which were so plentiful. I had WiFi working on that thing; even a GPS setup. It was awesome.

But until someone at PalmSource wakes up and starts to get the licensees excited and moving, it's just going to be a matter of time before it becomes a Microsoft world in the smartphone arena (if it isn't already). Honestly, the people at PalmSource are not stupid. But I do believe that they have seen the limitations of the Palm OS with respect to where it can go in the future and they are having a hard time engaging potential licensees in an OS framework that needs more robust multitasking for background processes and much tighter security that corporations require. That's where the money is... If you doubt it, check RIM. Their handhelds are making tons of money and their device still can only do half of what a Treo 650 can. But what they do, they do extemely well. Cobalt has been a no show and then Palm talks about Cobalt on top of Linux... I always raise an eyebrow when a company that doesn't do Linux starts mentioning how they're going to start using Linux. It's like they've run out of options with their own product.

I don't know.... maybe they will get moving.... maybe.
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 08/14/2005 at 04:44 PM.
    My friend at Microsoft tests Pocket PC devices and Windows Mobile 5.0 so I asked him if the Treo would have WM5.0 - he just said "No Comments"...he ould have said no right? Hmmmm.....
    dstrauss, Dell is readying their version of a smartphone based on the Axiom form factor.
    That's another interesting development, but the x50v is too large for a phone IMHO. Besides, it would have to get even thicker, because the 1100 mah battery is far short of the Treo 1800 mah and it's not trying to push a cellular radio.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    follow this link to "The Register"... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08...palm_treo_670/

has anyone else heard about this.... 670.

Maybe I'm out of the loop I just saw this.

PW
    you are out of the loop
    wow dude
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by pw7fam
    follow this link to "The Register"... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08...palm_treo_670/

has anyone else heard about this.... 670.

Maybe I'm out of the loop I just saw this.

PW
    welcome to the loop. the endless loop of the treo 670/700.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    No Axim phone. New Winmobile Treo to be sold by Dell.
    Here's something I posted in the comments at Treonauts. Basically, the picture itself proves its a fake...

http://mobileoptimized.com

Now here's something to make us call this bogus... on my Treo650 with all pictures removed, set at 320x240, it says I have 180 left. Set at 640x480, it says I have 60 left (note that changing resolution changes the number you can store, but changing between 1x and 2x doesn't). And just for the sake of it, I removed my SD card.

In the supposed Treo700 pic, its set to 1280 (presumable 1280x1024) with 217 pictures remaining. But Palm didn't just increase it to 64Mb or even 128Mb. Do the math... on a Treo 650, doubling the resolution cuts available storage by 1/3 (reference above). 1280x1024 is more the double 640x320, but for the sake of argument, let's just say that it *is* double 640x320. Based on previous math, doubling the resolution again would cut image storage by 1/3 again... so from 60 to 20. That pic shows 217 available at 1280xsomething... roughly 10 times the amount I'd have available from the prior math. The 650 has 32Mb. We thus see a correlation of 32 to 20. To exound this to be near the 217 mark, it would be roughly 320 to 200. So to be able to do what that picture shows, you would need at least 320Mb RAM and more likely between 480Mb and 512Mb. Historically, Palm has gone from 4mb to 8mb, from 8mb to 16Mb, and onwards to 32Mb. Jumping right on up to 470/512Mb is quite a jump. It would definitely negate the need for tools like PowerRun. But, more apps means more things to make your device crash which means more support calls to Palm. Then again, we're now faced with the 670 and the 700. It would seem the 670 will be the M$ powered Treo and the 700 will be the successor to our 650. However, there's nothing to say that the 670 pics aren't just a mock-up type device and the 700 pictured might be the M$ version (especially since the 700 is to have EVDO and all the 670 pics were from Verizon which just happens to have the largest EVDO rollout). They could easily have it run Windows but retain the power camera app. My point is that Windows phones need more memory. This device, if the pic is legit, appears to have it. For sure... we have a lot to speculate about...

So... this means one (or more) of a few things:

1) This is complete and total bull**** (my vote's here).

2) Palm is increasing the storage on the 700. Finally... thank you, Palm!

3) Palm has added support for the camera app to default to SD storage if found (possible, but unlikely as it would lead to more tech support issues).

One must wonder...
    Dude, you are like weeks late with your info. That was a drawing not a picture representing the look of the phone and for that matter if it were a picture an SD card would be capable of storing that many pictures...
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    Why is it that NO ONE is building smartphones using the Palm OS other than Palm? LG signed on as a licensee, but no one has seen anything yet from them. There's GSpda and Qool mentioned on the PalmSource website, but nothing here in the US from them. The remainder (Kyocera and Samsung) are ancient at this point. Only Palm is making a Palm OS based smartphone in the US....

Here's a nice article that might give some light on the situation and why Cobalt probably has not been as widely adopted as hoped:

http://www.informationweek.com/share...leID=169300302

The company's struggle to provide reliable hardware drivers typified the problem PalmSource faced. With Cobalt's new middleware framework running on a proprietary kernel that had never seen silicon outside of a lab, either PalmSource or its licensees had to create completely new drivers for every smartphone hardware element.
    This is the same agrument I heard at last year's Treo road shows regarding the proprietary cdma telephony libs and api's palm developed for the Treo and was not interesting in divulging to Palmsource at no cost.

I imagine this is also the cause of the demise of the Samsung i550 from entering the NA market.

But Palmsource's signing of LG is probably the single biggest proof that Palm Linux may in fact save the platform. The only problem is that the first PL smartphones are still nearly two years away. In the mean time I wonder if Palm will stick with FrankenGarnet or finally adopt Cobalt in the Treo...I hope and wager the latter...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gFunk

You know I usually agree with your positions, but this time you missed the mark. Two years is an eternity in the tech world, and by the time LG releases a Palmux smartphone, the whole market will have moved elsewhere. I'm afraid the M$oft juggernaut is about to do its usual thing - the OS is crap until version 5 or 6 (Windows 386 to Windows XP), then it's just like the Borg - resistance is futile.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think you are right to be worried about PalmSource's future. They have to figure out how to get Palm applications to run smoothly in a Garnet emulator running on top of the Linux OS. However, Linux as a smartphone OS is already proven, and will do very well in some markets.