Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    f*ck MS and their global domination scheme. I've never enjoyed using windows, and I'll never buy a device with their OS on it...period. I'm sure Palm is aware of users like me and they'll be quick to put out a model with Palm OS...I have no fears about that.

I will, however, be quite irritated if the new WM Treo 670 sits on shelves for a year before the Palm OS version strolls along...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    How would a WM Palm Anydevice make any sense? Forget the pro's and cons of the different OS's. Just supporting WM would require a huge investment on the part of Palm. This really doesn't wash, guys. Not to mention brand dilution, strategic partnership impacts.... tell me this isn't a good idea, please?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    some of it might be a resonse to the razzberry doodah. Maybe palm is worried motorolla is going to take a chunck of the pie?
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist
    f*ck MS and their global domination scheme. I've never enjoyed using windows, and I'll never buy a device with their OS on it...period. I'm sure Palm is aware of users like me and they'll be quick to put out a model with Palm OS...I have no fears about that.

I will, however, be quite irritated if the new WM Treo 670 sits on shelves for a year before the Palm OS version strolls along...
    Actually, Palm is hoping for more like you...true Palm fan...but because of you, they have no real urgency to release anything to compete because they know that you will wait for whatever they produce. On the other hand, if you are on the ropes regarding technology, price point, etc and a Windows device may sway you, that would drive palm harder to keep your business.

rob
    PalmOne split into separate Hardware and Software companies for this precise reason. I welcome a new OS on the Treo. So far I've been happy with the Palm OS, but I welcome WM... Definitely on board!

Not to stir the pot, but so many people are so against MSFT - on one hand I can see why - but on the other we would not be where we are today as far as technological proliferation if MSFT didn't exist (or some dominant standard). One of the biggest stunts to innovation is a lack of standards (the other being regulation) and MSFT has provided a standard platform on which to build - of course we can go into the aggressive/monopolistic biz practices but its probably a waste of time... my point is just the fact that they provide a standard.

Sure - in a way so does the PALM OS... but its not ubiquitous like Windows and it's counterparts (PocketPC, WinMobile, etc...)... quite honestly - one small thing that I look forward to on the Windows version is using ActiveSync as opposed to HotSync. I love being able to have the system continuously monitor changes and sync when necessary as opposed to going thru the whole Hotsync button clicking, etc... - I know you can do network syncing, etc... but I am quite fond of ActiveSync (used many generations of PocketPCs and Palms... always liked it better than HotSync)... I also look forward to REAL Outlook synchronization as opposed to having to rely on third party products like "Beyond Contacts" (which is a great application if you're reliant upon Outlook)...
    Last edited by dstrack; 08/09/2005 at 02:02 PM. Reason: continued post...
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    That's not something Microsoft does because they're improving; they spend 99% of their effort patching patches over patches over patches...

But that's how I decide what to buy: I read reviews for cars, for electronic devices. I don't buy and try them all first... that wouldn't make much sense, now would it... when I was shopping for a car, I consulted reputable car reviews; when I'm deciding on a movie to see, I read reviews online--not just one, either. When I've bought successive PDAs, I've relied on all the reviews I've read about the Palm and the others out there... I've also relied on years of experience and frustration with Microsoft operating systems. I'm sure WinCE is okay, I just don't choose to buy a PDA that uses it, and won't in the future...

I trust the preponderance of reviews... which is one of the reasons I've never considered a WinCE device. From all the articles I've read over the years, the PalmOS GUI is simply easier to use. But then, that's just my opinion...
    Not for nothing but the Treo has some serious stablity issues and we all know it. So calling Windows Mobile crap is like the pot calling the kettle black. Palm is no better then MS when it comes to this stuff. And atleast MS is responsive.

How long did you wait for the NV memory fix? And how many new issues came up from it? I for one am tired of my Treo shutting off randomly unless I spend an additional $17 for Profile Care to fix thier fix.

I like my treo but it ain't all roses and candy. There is a labor to this love.
    Well Said, hariustrk... well said...
    Any OS is going to have shortcomings, but I believe in choice. I choose not to use WM, and refuse to use an OS that has to be compiled, or is not natively supported. If I wanted WM, I'd use another device out of the hundreds available on the market. I chose Palm because of the OS. If Palm wants to ditch that idea and become another mindless device for office drones, go for it. I sure as hell won't be behind it. Fact is though, I just don't think they have the guts to drop Palm OS completely...so you guys who want WM win, and as long as we get our version too we'll be happy.
    I hear ya on that... But in my opinion the Treo has won because of Form Factor... NOT because of the Palm OS... I'll be buying the next version no matter what OS is on it...
    WM5 is intuitive and natural to all windows users. i used Windows CE 3.0 for a long time on a handheld pc that was practically a laptop replacement for me. and i loved it. it's easy to store and navigate files. and it support external removable media naturally.

palm os original structure and built-in apps suck. many 3rd party apps however are good.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Just saw this on Howard forums and watched video. It looks authentic to me...and I guess pretty cool, but I can't think of any reason how the Treo would benefit from this. Yes the potential of MS mobile or Linux taking over the world is a concern... is this supposed to appeal to the diehard MS fans?
    Seems to me Treo won the battle of the mobile OS war a while back, I would have thought about this migration a while back when rich multimedia, screen resolution, etc were not available on the Palm OS devices. I'll as the obvious, whats wrong the palm OS?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Palm Source's announcement today kind of kills the rumour, imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Palm Source's announcement today kind of kills the rumour, imho.
    Since they are different companies (and have been for a while), I don't see why one has anything to do with the other.

Palm is free to put whatever OS in the next Treo that they want and can make work, whether it's WM2005, Garnet, Cobalt, or some Palm/Linux flavor.
    I'm back!
    I wasn't gonna say, it, but I told ya so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Since they are different companies (and have been for a while), I don't see why one has anything to do with the other.

Palm is free to put whatever OS in the next Treo that they want and can make work, whether it's WM2005, Garnet, Cobalt, or some Palm/Linux flavor.
    True, but logically and business wise, it makes sense to assume that their future models will lean towards some palm/linux concoction. Why would Palm go through the trouble of teaming up with MontaVista to develop a new OS and then go with WM2005? Thats just money down the drain. On top of that, if as some say, they were to make TWO different versions with different OS's on it, it would just be competition amongst themselves. Treonauts are a very specific breed, and to divide the competition amongst them is just bad business.. they'd just end up with a lot of leftover models, whether it be the Linux version of the Windows version..

im not saying that i know for sure what OS will be on the next model.. but its just common sense to assume that they'll do SOMETHING with their new palm/linux OS..
    Most people use their phone to talk... i use mine for everything else..
    again...palm is not palmsource.

palmsource is teaming with MV...not palm.

they are different companies.
    i really gotta remember that..
    Most people use their phone to talk... i use mine for everything else..
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    also plam linux doesnt really mean anything since plamsource has been sitting on a new OS for like over a year now that no one wants to be bothered with.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    I hear ya on that... But in my opinion the Treo has won because of Form Factor... NOT because of the Palm OS... I'll be buying the next version no matter what OS is on it...
    In MY opinion, I know a lot of people would have avoided the Treo had it come out originally with some form of MS OS, myself included. I purchased the Treo because I liked the phone/pda combo, but the OS is what sealed the deal. Had it come with MS preloaded I would have stuck with my Nokia (which still has better reception imho), iPod (20GB vs 2GB SD?), and Tungsten E, and not sold all three to get the best of all worlds.
    Whose to say that the new WM5 and Colbalt version of the Treo will run on different hardware. Isn't it possible to create a general purpose device that is capable of running multiple platforms. This way they standardize on the hardware and customize the OS, much like in todays PC world where you can boot into Windows or any distro of Linux. If they can make a version of Linux run on an iPod, they can do anything
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast