Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I believe those pictures are fake, esp.. among other things, that close up of the screen which shows the Verizon logo. The logo doesn't even "bend" with the curve of the earpiece; it just stays straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I've never bought a Windows-powered smartphone, nor will I... some may have had good luck with a Windows CE-powered unit, but judging from the mountain of bad press that Windows CE has gotten, I think I'll steer clear. I know it's gotten better over the years, but I don't think I'll take my chances with any handheld running Windows. Having written software for many years on PC machines running various iterations of Windows, I finally got tired of all the trouble and moved to a more stable platform.

I've been using Palms since the very first Palm Pilot; although I do recall some bugs over the years, I still have to say that my experience with Palm OS has been excellent. I refuse to believe that Jeff Hawkins is going to abandon Palm OS after all these years, to go with an OS that has had lots of problems over the years. Also, I don't think that Palm, Inc. would drop their own OS to go with one that has to be licensed, and over which they have no internal control.

As to not having bought a Windows-based handheld, all I can say is that I follow reviews fairly closely, and Palm OS has consistently gotten the nod over Windows CE, at least in the articles that I've read. I never bought an Edsel, either...

Bob
    I honestly do not understand how you can be so critical of an OS that you've never really used before. But, if palm works for you, then by all means, use palm. But then again, it isn't Microsoft that hasn't released major updats for their OSes in over 3 years...

The thing is, dont be so quick to judge something that you've only heard about. I'm willing to bet that if PalmSource doesn't do something with their os, including adding true multitasking capabilities, then they are doomed to fail and slip away in the marketplace until they are obsolete.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Actually, if somebody wanted to fake this, it wouldn't be that difficult. Get a movie of a Windows mobile device with the Start Menu doing its thing and play it full screen on a production-level Treo 650 (which it was suggested a while back that this model could have been a development/concept model). Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn't be that hard to simulate WM running on a Treo by playing a full-screen video back of another smart-phone on the Treo itself, with sound and everything. Considering all the tools there are to capture the screen on a smartphone (Palm and WM), this shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't know. Until I hear from the horse's mouth, I won't be sure, but my plan is to stick with the Palm brand, and Palm would lose me as a Treo customer if they did this.

But, of course, take this with the proverbial particle of Sodium Chloride.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX
    it was suggested a while back that this model could have been a development/concept model)
    Its not a suggestion actually, the phone in the photos and vids SAYS its a development model inside the battery compartment.

Now there are at least four possibilities:

1. This is THE development model of a new Treo which will sell "soon."
    2. This is one of the many development models that go nowhere.
    3. This is an old 650 development model just being used to test Windows.
    4. This is an old development model that has a fake windows vid on it.

Pays your money, takes your choice
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX
    Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn't be that hard to simulate WM running on a Treo by playing a full-screen video back of another smart-phone on the Treo itself, with sound and everything. Considering all the tools there are to capture the screen on a smartphone (Palm and WM), this shouldn't be too difficult.
    But there is typically a small white border when playing back movies on the treo. There isn't on this WM treo. But then again there is a big black border.... Sharpie anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva
    I honestly do not understand how you can be so critical of an OS that you've never really used before. But, if palm works for you, then by all means, use palm. But then again, it isn't Microsoft that hasn't released major updats for their OSes in over 3 years...
    That's not something Microsoft does because they're improving; they spend 99% of their effort patching patches over patches over patches...
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva
    The thing is, dont be so quick to judge something that you've only heard about.
    But that's how I decide what to buy: I read reviews for cars, for electronic devices. I don't buy and try them all first... that wouldn't make much sense, now would it... when I was shopping for a car, I consulted reputable car reviews; when I'm deciding on a movie to see, I read reviews online--not just one, either. When I've bought successive PDAs, I've relied on all the reviews I've read about the Palm and the others out there... I've also relied on years of experience and frustration with Microsoft operating systems. I'm sure WinCE is okay, I just don't choose to buy a PDA that uses it, and won't in the future...

I trust the preponderance of reviews... which is one of the reasons I've never considered a WinCE device. From all the articles I've read over the years, the PalmOS GUI is simply easier to use. But then, that's just my opinion...
    Saw this artical and don't know what to think.... Follow the link and it leads to some rough video and pics....

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=14794
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    Saw this artical and don't know what to think.... Follow the link and it leads to some rough video and pics....

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=14794
    Please refer to my signature. Thank you.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    <merged>
    the 670 was more intensely discussed than almost any other topic during the more than 2 1/2 hours of the Engadget Q/A.

One of the editor/writers was enthusiastically looking forward to a WM5 Treo. Both speculated that the next Treo would most likely be in 2 versions, with 2 different OSes.

one of the 650s that they carried was running a betatest of the new sprint mobiTV. He liked it, though it seems dumb to me to not just include a TV tuner on board if it was a tv that was wanted.

They actually spoke with Roc-a-Fella to confirm his story prior to publishing that 670 report.

there was free beer, but few free girls...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Thanks for the report...cool that they are talking to Roc (free beer?) I wish they had this thing back around the 20th while I was there!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Thanks for the report...cool that they are talking to Roc (free beer?) I wish they had this thing back around the 20th while I was there!
    it was supposed to be one Bud each -- though I'm sure lots of folks snagged an extra or two.

It was a pretty prototypical geeky crowd -- LOTS of 650's on hips -- and too many pasty over white over weight bodies.

The Engadgets guys are Tres cool -- laid back, unpretentious, hard working, ambitious, and young.

it really is produced out of his 6th story manhattan walk up apartment (3 blks from my old crib).

Though they're a "new journalism" blog, they have completely adopted a NY Times level of ethics -- they will not accept gadgets gifts, perks, or free junkets. Any gizmo sent to them for review is either returned or given away.

Only 4 of them put out Engadget -- including the founder dude.

Roc offered to sell them his 670 !!! but they declined. (who is that guy ???)
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/09/2005 at 02:35 AM.
    Barye;
    The engadget gathering was kool, but I resent that prototypical geek look - I am mos def a sterotype breaker 8^) And with not having a Treo, I had to be one of the non BB/non Sidekick crowd to have a little fun

If you remember the Q/A session, they all but assured that it was coming a few times before the first Treo question...will make for an interesting listen if they publish that Q/A session.

Yea, I was in the first mention about him saying that Roc would sell him the 670, thats insane, but makes for an interesting rumor all the more.

Overall, we can now say that its coming, probably in fall, and most probably on VZW sooner rather than later (though my sources tell me that the other carriers are in testing as well).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Barye;
    The engadget gathering was kool, but I resent that prototypical geek look - I am mos def a sterotype breaker 8^) And with not having a Treo, I had to be one of the non BB/non Sidekick crowd to have a little fun

If you remember the Q/A session, they all but assured that it was coming a few times before the first Treo question...will make for an interesting listen if they publish that Q/A session.

Yea, I was in the first mention about him saying that Roc would sell him the 670, thats insane, but makes for an interesting rumor all the more.

Overall, we can now say that its coming, probably in fall, and most probably on VZW sooner rather than later (though my sources tell me that the other carriers are in testing as well).

so there were other TCers there !!

were you amongst the small group who was on stage talking with Peter ??

(BTW -- that first Treo question came from me ... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/09/2005 at 09:14 AM.
    Look at the pic on Engadget's site, I am the one in the front row holding the camera phone.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Kewl !

I was the fool attired in the red bicycle shorts and OS/2 Warp T-shirt
    Making this thread sticky to hopefully deter the new threads.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I have said it before and I will say it again. PalmOne split into two because they saw the future and it is in hardware and not in the OS. They know they have a winner in the Treo FORM-FACTOR. It was not because the worth of the 2 companies is more seperate then it was together. That never makes economic sense. It is only for one of two reasons. Either there is a philosophical difference or one company is pulling all the weight. We buy the Treo because of how it works, how it feels and the size. How can we possibly be critical of them launching a MS OS based Treo. I am sure they will for the time being offer a PalmSource OS based Treo also for the Palm crowd. I thought I read the other day that Linux was outselling MS on smartphones and that PalmOS was a distant player. Why wouldn't Palm want to capitalize on the Treo form factor and utilize HTC's expertice in the MS market? Face it, money talks and if Palm has a chance to sell 4 or 5 times the Treos they used to then they have a responsibility to their shareholders to do so. Also, what happens if Sprint, VZW and/or Cingular tells them without a MS based Smartphone they are through because they are tired of the support problems?
    There did u get tomtom from? I am looking for 1 now. Cant find it.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    The video is real.

I would be very disappointed if Palm stop using PalmOS all together. Wouldn't all those people who have brought Palm software get screwed over? What about the devcelopers?

I just brought the TomTom kit I don't know if my license will work on a PPC phone.

If they make a PPC version for Verizon and a Cobalt version for Sprint than I don't care.
    There's some hints O Palm's direction to be found in the interview refernced here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08...fedrive_poser/