Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I read somewhere (don't recall where) that Sprint plans to charge $30/month for EVDO data on smartphones e.g. the next Treo. They'll get loads of takers at that price, once the phones arrive.
    Does the Verizon EVDO works on the major highways?

What I want to do is to stream music when I am driving. If it will take a couple years to support EVDO on highways then I will start looking at in-dash harddrive mp3 players. It just make more sense.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I have used EVDO on my tablet PC while riding in a car on the highway. I was working, not streaming, but I had no problems.

Note that EVDO is only in major metropolitan areas. On the other hand, we were driving from south of Palm Beach to downtown Miami - about 55 miles in a line - and it worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Does the Verizon EVDO works on the major highways?

What I want to do is to stream music when I am driving. If it will take a couple years to support EVDO on highways then I will start looking at in-dash harddrive mp3 players. It just make more sense.
    Forget portable harddrives, forget all pcs other than the one in your pocket - Pocket Computers (AKA - Smartphones), and forget all wireless networks other than EVDO/UMTS & WiMax (& UWB, but that's not quite a large "network" like I'm talkin' about here)!!!

You won't need harddrives because you'll be able to stream every media file you have on your ftp server (a new tivo, anyone?) at home!! You won't need a cd player, or a boombox, or vcr, or dvd player!! You'll just have a car cradle or little docking station in your car (kinda like those xm/sirius boomboxes/car units have) that you set the Treo on and press next, back, play, stop, jump, whateva! You don't need to put it in the dock, but it makes sense since you could be powering the phone and using the touchscreen instead of having another interface like a UWB headunit that interacts with the Treo.

Hard Drives on cell phones are whack when you've got a network that's faster than what you understand as "broadband" today!!! It's all about highspeed wireless connecting your smartphone to your media file server at home and the rest of the internet!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12