Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Isn't that exactly what happened?

Surur
    No, I don't think it did. I highly doubt that Treo 670 device is what we'll see. I think it was a prototype of the Windows Mobile version. I dunno, I think the rounded buttons were the better pick than the squared off one. Who knows though, perhaps Palm is going to make the Palm OS and Windows Mobile versions look different. Seems like a waste of money to do that, but I guess that's why I don't run Palm or Microsoft.

Joe
    everyone in here is wrong? What if we dont get a new treo before the end of the year?

Last year, before this time even... we had proof and pictures of the 650 monthes before its release.

All we have now? Speculation and rumors. No technical specs whatsoever on the so called "WM Treo 670", just pages of oh wow and must be fake. No pictures or specs that say "Treo 670". And there is a post that the next treo will have cobalt... again... with no proof whatsoever.

What if sprint is sticking with the 650 for another year? It has been a hot seller. And it has the potential for future software upgrades so technically they dont really need to replace it right now.

If you remember, the PPC-6600 came out for sprint after the treo 650, and there has been at least confirmation from a sprint rep that there is chance that the new PPC-6700 is coming out within a month or so. And we have pictures of the device running sprint software.

All and all. i hope that there is a treo being released this year, cuz i want the latest and greatest. but in reality... i think that a PPC-6700 is a better chance of getting my money... i think people are building up false hopes for this next treo, and should not to hold their breath.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    what if they are wrong? uhh you wait a little longer. Look, there's going to be a new treo. 2 actually. and then many more after that. Probably right after the new year. Probably announced right around November to generate hype. Then sales. Pre sales of course. Waiting lists. and so on.
    Sprint will of course carry it. don't doubt that.
    Sprint's upgrade policy has changed to two years as of August for the full $150.
    That alone would blow the "18 month" theory out of the water, but there's one other thing.
    Since when has a wireless company taken existing users into consideration when releasing a product? Never. And they never will.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Gosh I hope so. If I have waited all this time when I could have gotten the 650...I might have to institutionalize myself.

I figure that Palm has to put out a new treo...there are too many other things out there already (i.e. 730) taking away *potential customers.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Since when has a wireless company taken existing users into consideration when releasing a product? Never. And they never will.
    ...and the reason why is? Because they already have you under contract
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Sprint's upgrade policy has changed to two years as of August for the full $150.
    That alone would blow the "18 month" theory out of the water, but there's one other thing.
    I agree. In fact, I think the reverse is true; Sprint would do its dead level best to get it out the door a few months BEFORE the upgrade deadline for the prior release just to force full price upgrades.

Sneaky little b@$%@#&$. Oh well, what else would you expect from the blood sucking telecomm industry - do we expect them to show the same "restraint" as gasoline retailers have lately?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think Palm has to release something , regardless of OS, that supports Sprint's forthcoming EVDO rollout. Sprint is gonna announce some new phones to accompany that rollout. I can't believe a new Treo won't be one of them.
    Last edited by Iceman6; 09/08/2005 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Add hyperlink
    If I had to guess, any new model this year will be an EVDO model that is basically a 650; I don't anticipate any REALLY new model until next year.

Marc
    I'm a programmer who has spent many years working on human interface design. While that's been mainly from a program UI point of view, I've done some device work as well, and have a good idea what consititutes a good UI design for a device. My take on the 670 and the 700 from a design point of view? The 670 looks like a fake to me. The videos show nothing that couldn't be done with a 650, and a couple of screen captures from a WM device massaged in an editor and merged into a movie, then played back on the 650.

Further, the physical layout of the 670 from the pictures looks like a step backwards. None of the changes in the physical design make sense from an ergonomic viewpoint, but would make much more sense if they represented an intermediate step between the 600 and 650. (Which fits -- it's been suggested by a number of people that the device in question is a early prototype 650...)

Now, the picture of the 700, *that* seems much more plausible to me. If it's a fake, it's a darn good one, and was done by someone who clearly understood good human interface design. There is a huge amount of detail in all those minor changes when comparing the 650 against the 700 that seems unlikely for a photoshopped fake.

Looking at all the minor tweaks between the 650 design and the 700 picture, almost every single one is something which, to my own eye as an interface designer, would make good ergonomic changes to the device. Even the flattening out and color changes of the graphics in the photo capture application applies -- while it would seem to be a step backwards from the 650's gradient shaded look, it actually makes the controls much more readable and distinct.

All IMHO. We'll see what happens.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Well, I'm not sure which OS the next Treo will have, but right now I'm depressed. All this year, I've hoped for a new Palm OS based Treo to replace my aging 600 - but it now seems that the Palm OS as we know it is dead (via HardOCP.com):
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

I don't think I can justify buying a product that would be the last Palm OS device made. Investments in software alone make it difficult to argue that even with it's upsides, it is a good option.

RIP Palm OS 1996-2005
    Take a look at my <a href="http://www.vinceanido.com/blog/">blog</a> and make your technolgy work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Does ptt require a seperate radio or does such a device use just one cell radio? If it does require a separate radio: I really do not want 4 radios in the same case! (Cell, Bluetooth, WiFi and ptt, if it needs one.)

All I want is a 650 with EV-DO, 64mb internal memory and an SD slot that will handle a 4gb card. Please do not gum up the works, Palm! (Unless you can get it all in there with no conflicts.)

Cheers, Perry.

Sprint's PTT uses vision or 1xrtt, thus it does not require a separate radio...

For >>2GB capacity cards, Palm will have to update the FAT driver to FAT32 which is likely since they have done that on the Lifedrive, but it certainly is NOT a definite knowing palm...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    What advantage does PTT have over paying the extra $5 for unlimited PCS2PCS calling?

The greatest advantage of PTT is BROADCAST CALLING! This is very valuable for companies etc that want to contact all their employees at the same time. For example, say you want to contact 10 or so people at once without calling everyone individually. Well with PTT (or Ready Link), you can set a broadcast RL to all 10 people like a conference call. It is easy and simple. I think the max conference RL for sprint is something liek 20 or so but I'm not sure...

Thus the greater your RL group, the more valuable it is. But I agree it is not necessarily the best product otherwise especially if you are not in a company or group that extensively uses RL...

Also, for all those you keep mentioning 128MB ram. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! First of all, all next gen Treos will obvisouly use NVFS. It would be crazy for Palm to go back now. Thus, next gen Treos may have 64MB or 128MB ram, but it really is just 32MB of volitite ram. Furthermore, if they did indeed add a >>64MB Nand chip, I would imagine they would use the rest as storage heap anyway similar to the T5 which would be a better solution imo anyway. A Treo iwth 256MB or 1Gb nand with drive mode feature would be pretty cool imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    people that use PTT w/speakerphone should be publicly flogged. friggin annoying. i hate that shiit.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123