1.    #1  
    When will our Treo's not need a computer to run?

Right now you can use a Treo if you don't have a PC but you'll have a hell of a time installing software without a HotSync ID. Our Treo's have everything they need to be an independant system. We can download and update apps on the fly, open up and edit documents and pictures, make webpages using the Memo app, play and record movies, and make phone calls.

The only reason I have for the PC is to create a Hotsync ID and back up my data. But i trust the backup on my SD card more then I trust my computer.

With the next OS I would like to see the Treo become a stand alone device.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Check out this thread. It sounds like you don't need the computer to generate the ID.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90926
    I just mail the app to myself, I haven't hotsync in 3 (?) months.

However I can't download >2MB files from the phone directly to SD card, anyone know how to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

However I can't download >2MB files from the phone directly to SD card, anyone know how to do it?
    I too do the same or use bluetooth to install files. But regardless I am still using a computer to generate the email or to send via BT.

As far as downloading more than 2mb whether it be email or from the web using your Treo, I suggest using Webpro. You can download (depending on what the cache can handle) more than 2mb file. I tried emailing my self an 8mb mp3 once and I was able to receive about 7mb+ of it then my Treo stopped downloading. I don't recall what error I received though. I was then able to play it with Ptunes but ofcourse the end of if was cut off.
    Oh forgot to add..I use Snappermail. Versamail will only allow you to DL 2mb and I think the same goes for Blazer. Webpro is another browser.
    There is also an editorial on Brighthand.com about this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

Have you used Downloader??

I responded to somebody else in another thread a couple days ago...maybe that was you.
    Anyway...our Treos will not require a PC as soon as we have 3 or 4 more things:

(1) Bad Arse Multitasking OS; i.e. - Palm Linux, Sharp's Qtopia/Linux, or WM5.
    (2) UWB - for wirelessly connecting your device to an external monitor. It's just like bluetooth except faster, stronger, better, etceter(a).
    (3) EV-DO/UMTS - Will provide a faster data connection than you'll see with cable/dsl and will provide it every step you make.
    (4) Clamshell design (larger screen, larger keyboard, keeps the screen upright when you set it on a table, protects screen/keyboard when closed....just like a laptop, except that when closed, it'll be just like a candybar phone); you could use this without the external monitor/keyboard and prolly be content.