1. tah
    I'm a long time (since Palm Personal 512K, to Pro, to T1, to T2, to T3..skipped T5 & LD) Palm user and am getting a Verizon 650 this week. I've never been especially good at file management and cleanup before because it's never really caused me problems. However, with this "fresh start" I want to do things right the first time so I can keep my device efficient as possible.

Here's the plan............

Get phone, install software and get it recognized, allow existing contact and datebook data to transfer.

Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager & CleanUp
    Install PowerRun
    Install BackUpBuddy VFS Pro
    Install FileZ

Install all other apps I'm in love with....DateBk5 (with dbicon+ IconManager and Phone Button Patch) , ExpensePlus, Silver Screen, etc..............

Move as many apps to my 512mb card as possible!

Anyone have some advice as to what in this plan they would add, delete, or install in another order?

Thanks.........
    DO NOT HOT SYNC to a prior device user id, the 650 will choke on prior device settings.

Do install the Palm desktop that comes on the 650 cd, there are conduits it needs to put into place.

There are many methods, but I created a new user id for the 650 and then "beamed" my PIM stuff from the prior Palm to the new 650. (Select by category and then select all to get a beam "en mass.")

Then install 3rd party software from scratch to the 650, you will probably need new unlock codes due to the new user id and device.

You will love the 650!

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    You will love the 650!

...as long as you listen to Perry.

My first Hotsync took hours because I just plugged in and synced the old profile. After the hours, I had to hard reset anyway because the device went into a continuous reset loop.......
    Perry!

Tech Tool...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I upgraded from a Zire72 myself, and here's what worked very well for me.

1-Hot synced old Palm (Zire 72)
    2-Uninstalled Palm Desktop
    3-Installed new Desktop from new Treo 650 CD, including hot sync
    4-Re-installed applications from scratch onto Treo 650

5- Created Datebk 5 catagories on Treo which matched (exactly) the catagories on the Zire 72)

6-Beamed Datebk5 items from Zire to Treo with Datebk5 settings to 'receive beamed items into the same catagories as senders'

Like I said, this went very well & clean for me - Glad I did it this way.

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Perry!

Tech Tool...
    Tech Tool? Oh, yeah.

BTW, If you are going to use Docs to Go. . . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

As well, install any provider firmware update before you begin loading 3rd party software.. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/01/2005 at 03:04 PM.
  7. tah
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    DO NOT HOT SYNC to a prior device user id, the 650 will choke on prior device settings.

Do install the Palm desktop that comes on the 650 cd, there are conduits it needs to put into place.

There are many methods, but I created a new user id for the 650 and then "beamed" my PIM stuff from the prior Palm to the new 650. (Select by category and then select all to get a beam "en mass.")

Then install 3rd party software from scratch to the 650, you will probably need new unlock codes due to the new user id and device.

You will love the 650!

Cheers, Perry.
    Thanks for the advice! From what I'm hearing I'm thinking I'll uninstall Palm Desktop and then delete the Palm folder from C/Program files/Palm........Then install the 650 CD.....

One question.......why should I need new unlock codes if I have (reinstate?)the same user ID? Most of the "top-shelf" program unlock codes are tied to the Hot Sync name. If I use the same name I'm thinking there should be no problem. Is my logic flawed in some way?
    Quote Originally Posted by tah
    Thanks for the advice! From what I'm hearing I'm thinking I'll uninstall Palm Desktop and then delete the Palm folder from C/Program files/Palm........Then install the 650 CD.....

One question.......why should I need new unlock codes if I have (reinstate?)the same user ID? Most of the "top-shelf" program unlock codes are tied to the Hot Sync name. If I use the same name I'm thinking there should be no problem. Is my logic flawed in some way?
    Sounds like a plan. If you delete the old userid folder, you should be okay. Why don't you just rename it to keep it as a backup?

Program Files / Palm / userid_old_device

If you use the same user id on the fresh install, you may or may not need new unlock keys. I have had some software require the device id instead of the userid.

Cheers, Perry.
  9. tah
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    I upgraded from a Zire72 myself, and here's what worked very well for me.

5- Created Datebk 5 catagories on Treo which matched (exactly) the catagories on the Zire 72)
    Appreciate the input but have a question.............

Why would I want to "do" this process through DateBk5? Wouldn't it make sense to get the 650 installed, enter the contact categories (exactly), beam from my T3 to Palm Contacts on the 650......Install DateBk5......and let it "pick up" the categories and entries?
  10. tah
    I have had some software require the device id instead of the userid.
    Do you by chance remember any specific software that was this "demanding"?

Hope I'm not a (happy?) customer of any of these vendors.............
    Last edited by tah; 08/01/2005 at 09:48 PM.
  11. tah
    Tech Tool? Oh, yeah.

BTW, If you are going to use Docs to Go. . . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

As well, install any provider firmware update before you begin loading 3rd party software.. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Tahnks for the link. I had read where I needed to find this and was digging like an aneroxic 49er without luck..............

I think you are good to go. I am no longer using any 3rd party software that requires the device id, but I believe my last one was Quo Vadis, a map software for Palms.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

VoiceDial is an app that keys off the device id (I can't think of any others). Since this only runs on the 650, you shouldn't encounter a problem.
    tah,

I suppose picking up the catagories would work. Honestly, I've never transfered items without already have the existing catagories myself (my wife's palm has the same catagories set up), so I just set it up that way because I knew it would work well.

Sorry if I suggested more work than necessary

You're gonna love having your Palm and phone in one device

-jeff
    -jeff

15. tah
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    Sorry if I suggested more work than necessary

You're gonna love having your Palm and phone in one device -jeff

Hey...no problem, just enjoying all the feedback here

BTW: Is that a VAJA case in your Avatar? If so how do you like it?
    Bump for mera308
    Do what you have to do but get ya 650 up and running asap.................it is the BEST GADGET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bravo............................................
  18. tah
    I am up and running! Downloaded the Doc's To Go tool and freed 3.5 Mb of RAM.

Don't like how Silver Screen does not show phone signal strength meter.

Uninstall Manager is a PITA! Maybe I need to study it a little more. Ended up removing it, then installing my "trusted" apps. I think I'll put it back in for future installs and trials. Seems like the best use of this program.

BackUpBuddy VFS Pro works like a champ! Great program!

Haven't used PowerRun to move any programs to the card yet as I still have 15.4Mb free.

The phone is great. Also got the Treo Bluetooth headset from eBay. Like it a lot. Not confident with all the functions quite yet.

Got a silicone case and screen protectors from Boxwave. Really like these folks, not cheap but damn good! Had the case and protectors in hand when I took the 650 from the box. Immediately put it in the case and mounted the screen protector. Not taking any chances with this baby!

Thanks for all the input...............
    tah,

Glad to hear you're up and running. My case is the Krusell Handit II - a bit big and bulky, but very protective!

A couple of applications for you to look at:

1-Butler: notifies you via user-defined LED and/or audible tones that you have missed a call, message, etc.

2-VolumeCare: if your earpiece or other Treo volume is less than enough

3-Directory Assistant: nifty little program which allows you to get phone numbers & addresses via the data connection and then VERY easily copy them to your address book

Have fun!
    -jeff