1.    #1  
    I have a fairly new Treo 650 and have been trying out different apps on it.
    Then deleting the ones I'm not going to keep, in order to free up memory.
    The problem is, when I open the "delete" function, many items listed as deleteable aren't recognizable as belonging to any particular app. For example, do I still need "DGraphConverter"? "DXTGAttachmentPlu..."? "MIDI Ring Tones"? "PP_2P"? "WP_P2P"?

In other words, I don't even know how to tell whether I've deleted everything which isn't useful to me, and what I need to make sure I keep.

Also - does anyone know whether it's possible to store Avantgo files on my card instead of on the phone itself? That also seems to take up a lot of space.

Thanks for any help you can offer to a newbie!

Chris
    Using FileZ. . . . I see.

That's the problem with that utility, you do not have a clue as to what should stay. . .

If you have deleted the app with the Treo delete function. . . I wouldn't go much farther, unless you have absolute certainty. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240
  3.    #3  
    I talked w Palm tech support (?) in the meantime and they said blah blah they don't provide advice for third party app issues. Said I should back up everything, do a hard sync, reinstall only what I want, that's the only way to make sure I don't have orphaned pieces of deleted apps. Does that sound like good advice?!!

And how do I learn what FileZ is?
    One way to make sure that deleting from the main menu has deleted all apps is to look at the creator ID. Check FileZ before you delete the app to find out what the Creator ID is. The delete using Treo Menu. Then go back to FileZ and see if there are any files with the same ID still on your Treo.

This isn't fool proof as sometimes apps have several IDs but it might help in getting rid of some left over stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by treochrisalso
    I have a fairly new Treo 650 and have been trying out different apps on it.
    Then deleting the ones I'm not going to keep, in order to free up memory.
    The problem is, when I open the "delete" function, many items listed as deleteable aren't recognizable as belonging to any particular app. For example, do I still need "DGraphConverter"? "DXTGAttachmentPlu..."? "MIDI Ring Tones"? "PP_2P"? "WP_P2P"?

In other words, I don't even know how to tell whether I've deleted everything which isn't useful to me, and what I need to make sure I keep.

Also - does anyone know whether it's possible to store Avantgo files on my card instead of on the phone itself? That also seems to take up a lot of space.

Thanks for any help you can offer to a newbie!

Chris
    Yes, the creator id is definitely the big clue. To get you started, DGraphConverter,DXTGAttachmentPlugin, PP_2P,WP_P2P are all part of Documents To Go.
    As far as AvantGo; yes, there is a way to store to card. Read this to learn more.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by treochrisalso
    And how do I learn what FileZ is?
    It's a freeware file manager for the Palm OS. Read up on it at:

www.nosleep.net

Cheers, Perry.
    Uninstall Manager and Cleanup (The Neatfreak Pack) by Northglide also work well for completely deleting apps and their orphan files.
    i use Clean Memory to free up space
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...65424&R=165424
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"