An interesting bit of news sent to me by Larsten Business Reports, one of those industry insider services. Excuse the question marks peppered through this. That's how it came through in mail and I'm too lazy to edit them out.

Harv
(Now wirelessly HotSyncing my Treo 650 to my laptop over Bluetooth. No cables, no cradle, just air baby. Are you?)

QUOTE::

Survey Shows RIM Faltering While Palm Surges
?
WASHINGTON, July 28, 2005 - Research in Motion?s (RIM?s) once dominant market share is slipping in terms of both Smart Phones and ?Hybrid? PDAs,* as competitors increasingly battle RIM?s popular Blackberry model for their piece of the handhelds marketplace, according to two new surveys from ChangeWave Research.
?
The surveys of 740 corporate purchasers and 1,809 consumers show the Smart Phone market experiencing explosive growth ? having surged 42% among consumers in the last 90 days, while sales of Hybrid PDAs have remained flat.
?
Palm Supplants RIM is Consumer Market
?
For the first time, Palm (30%) has surpassed RIM (24%) as the market share leader among smart phone owners, jumping 9 points since ChangeWave?s previous survey in March 2005.
?
Looking ahead, far more respondents report they?ll be buying Smart Phones (6.8%) than ?Hybrid? PDAs (3.9%) in the next three months. This is more good news for Palm, which holds a better than two-to-one lead over RIM (31% to 14%) among respondents who say they plan to purchase a Smart Phone in the next 90 days.
?
On the downside for Palm, nearly half of its Treo 650 owners report at least some problems with the newly released model ? including rebooting and emailing problems.
?
In the ?Hybrid? PDA market, RIM (30%) is hanging onto a slim lead among consumers, but both HP (21%) and Dell (16%) have gained market share in the past three months and show considerable signs of strength.
?
RIM Leads Corporate Market But Sees Slippage
?
Shifting to the corporate front, RIM leads in Smart Phone and ?Hybrid? PDA sales, but once again competitors are eating into their overall market share. Palm (22%; up 1 pt.), Nokia (12%; up 6 pts.) and Motorola (11%; up 1 pt.) have all made gains in the Smart Phone market over the past 90 days, while RIM (38%; down 5 pts.) has slipped.
?
A similar trend is occurring in the Corporate ?Hybrid? PDA category, with Palm and Dell posting strong gains and RIM once again slipping.
?
Headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, ChangeWave Research identifies market trends through its surveys of thousands of accredited professionals in more than 20 industries.
?
*Note that ChangeWave defines a ?Hybrid? PDA as a device that can email, IM, and access the Internet but doesn't have phone capability, while it defines a Smart Phone as a cell phone with integrated PDA functionality.
?

END OF QUOTE