1.    #1  
    All of these various threads about the new Treos all talk about EV-DO (or wish for it) but not UMTS. Is this maybe because it won't have it? Or are more people using the CDMA models?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    prob because ev-do is real or very close to real in some cities and umts is still a dream
    Sprint 700p
  3.    #3  
    Still a dream? Tell that to the 20 or so countries who have it deployed (admittedly, it's not as widespread in every country as EVDO is here) not to even mention that the largest US carrier is rolling it out in many major markets by the end of the year...
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Still a dream? Tell that to the 20 or so countries who have it deployed (admittedly, it's not as widespread in every country as EVDO is here) not to even mention that the largest US carrier is rolling it out in many major markets by the end of the year...
    OK OK OK....it's still a dream in America for now!! How about that answer?
    Well PalmOne might look into global prospectus now, as Treo Smartphone is the best Smartphone on earth (arguably) at the moment.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    thank you, grndslm! my answer exactly...
    Sprint 700p
  7.    #7  
    You keep saying it's still a ''dream'' in the US when it's a well known fact that the largest carrier in the country has committed to rolling it out in 15 (I think) markets by the end of the year. And as to where it does exist, it's a lot more than just the UK - try most of Western Europe and a good bit of the Eastern part as well. Not to even mention Japan and China (not sure about this one.)
    I seriously doubt Palm would want to add an extra radio before a reasonable number of markets had it. They could have released EV-DO in the 650....but they didn't because it wasn't reasonable because the network would be in trial mode, limited to a number of people, extremely expensive for that small number.

It's all about timing. What good would a GPS receiver have done Christopher Columbus if there were no satellites at that time?
  9.    #9  
    I understand you point, but there's more UMTS coverage (worldwide) than there is EVDO. Palm can't only think about the US market if they want to have any chance of keeping up with Windows Mobile's popularity (especially in Asia.)
    The worldwide thing might be true...but I'm not positive since I have a bias toward Sprint and mostly follow their news.

And even if it were...I don't know if Palm has ever been much of a global marketing company.
  11.    #11  
    Unfortuately, you may be right about Palm not being much into Global marketing. I personally think that's part of why they're struggling to keep ahold of (and hopefully regain) their market share. Think for a minute - if they made the CDMA version (hopefully with EVDO) available to carriers other than Sprint (say AU KDDI or some S. Korean carriers) and had a UMTS version (maybe with a second camera in one version) imagine how many worldwide carriers would want it. Vodafone for one would love having a quadband UMTS smartphone to go with their world roaming plans.