Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Have sprint treo 650 with update that allows DUN but I cannot get it to work with my laptop.

I have an IBM Think Pad with Bluetooth. Tried to show off my treo with the laptop while waiting at an airport. Tried every combination but couldnt make it work. Yes, I looked like an ***** but even worse I made my treo look bad when it really wasn't the treos fault.

Can someone please walk me through how to make this work or link me to a walkthrough?

Thanks
    B Team Member, hopefully the A Team will be along shortly.

Cheers, Perry.
    Try deleting your device from the Bluetooth Manager....then Find devices in range...right click your smartphone and click Pair...add 'em to trusted devices one more time (type 0000 on laptop first, then 0000 on treo if it asks). Otherwise, my only other recommendation would be to hard reset and re-install windows.
    Grndslm gave good advice, except for the last sentence.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Try deleting your device from the Bluetooth Manager....then Find devices in range...right click your smartphone and click Pair...add 'em to trusted devices one more time (type 0000 on laptop first, then 0000 on treo if it asks). Otherwise, my only other recommendation would be to hard reset and re-install windows.
    First off, thanks a million for the help.

O.K., did what you outlined. Now how do I connect? Do I have to use the sync cord to plug into laptop? Where do I start the internet, on the treo or the browser on the laptop?
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I get as far as a box that says DUN on my laptop. I check the box and hit OK. Nothing happens after that.

What's the next step? How do I connect?

Argh! This is driving me nuts.
    Did you buy the lap top at Best Buy? The Geek Squad could probably help. Nothing like being right there with the two devices in hand to figure out something like this. . . .

Stupid thought. . . . you do have Bluetooth on both devices on and discoverable. . . .right?

Does your Laptop manual have a bluetooth device pairing section? Sometimes they have good step by steps with pictures. . . .

Check the help function on your Laptop and search for Bluetooth, you might find a step by step there, specific to your brand and model. . . .

Where's Pam when we need her? I'm going to PM her. . . .when she comes on TC, she will see my message and hopefully have some pointers for us.
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/21/2005 at 08:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Did you buy the lap top at Best Buy? The Geek Squad could probably help. Nothing like being right there with the two devices in hand to figure out something like this. . . .

Stupid thought. . . . you do have Bluetooth on both devices on and discoverable. . . .right?

Does your Laptop manual have a bluetooth device pairing section? Sometimes they have good step by steps with pictures. . . .

Check the help function on your Laptop and search for Bluetooth, you might find a step by step there, specific to your brand and model. . . .

Where's Pam when we need her? I'm going to PM her. . . .when she comes on TC, she will see my message and hopefully have some pointers for us.
    Its a company laptop and my help desk is more like the help'less' desk when it comes to bluetooth.

The laptop and treo are paired. I get as far as the screen which allows me to select DUN. I check it and then I don't know where to go from there.
    Hmmm, I'm not on the A team so I can't give you the answer. Hannibal is a real stickler about that.

I can, however, tell you that this has been answered in detail before. Maybe you could read a little on your own? Or....god forbid....use that silly little search button?

-Joe
    Z Team member in good standing
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Hmmm, I'm not on the A team so I can't give you the answer. Hannibal is a real stickler about that.

I can, however, tell you that this has been answered in detail before. Maybe you could read a little on your own? Or....god forbid....use that silly little search button?

-Joe
    Z Team member in good standing
    Wow, I'd never have expected a response like this. If you can't help, just don't help. What's to be gained by this?

Things at home must be pretty bad for you to exert the energy to be a jerk. You ruin it for all the people who come here for help. Fortunately, there are so many more people who actually are helpful that jerks like you are the minority.

When you see a post you don't like... just move on. Wow, I feel sorry for your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree
    When you see a post you don't like... just move on. Wow, I feel sorry for your family.
    Follow your own rules...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Follow your own rules...
    I always do. You won't find a single post by me in these or any forums being rude to anyone. In this case, however, my words were a response to a post directed at me.

They were not a random rant against someone seeking help.
    apparently YOU are the a-hole.

Guess what, you aren't the only guy on the block that has issues with DUN, and using the search WOULD help you find your answer.

telling him you feel sorry for his family is just ridiculous. use the damn search and I'd bet the farm you'll find your answer...or do you have to have it spelled out for you, and ONLY you?
    1 | 2
    I'd also advise that before you try to show something off, to atleast have a little practice beforehand
    1 | 2
    Okay, 10 minutes each in the time out chair, come back and shake hands.
    Wow, I'd never have expected a response like this. If you can't help, just don't help. What's to be gained by this?
    Glad I could be of service. My goal was to point out that searching provides answers to DUPLICATE questions. What a concept.

Things at home must be pretty bad for you to exert the energy to be a jerk. You ruin it for all the people who come here for help. Fortunately, there are so many more people who actually are helpful that jerks like you are the minority.
    Things at home are great, thanks for asking.

Actually, no energy at all for me to be as HELPFUL as I was. BTW, easy on the name calling, that's a no no around here...read the forum guidelines.

As Insertion asserted....do unto others....

Don't feel sorry for my family, we're happy, healthy and wise. And we know how to FIND answers as opposed to only asking questions...

Now I'll go back to enjoying my working DUN solution, the steps for which I found using that useless little search button.
    - Albert Einstein
    I'm starting to get sick and tired of the just search response for newbs. I can understand one person saying it to teach them there's a search function...but not 4 or 5 people. There's too many posts to wade through in search of one friggin' answer for DUPLICATE questions. There should be one question for every answer and vice versa.

Where's that WIKI, TC mods?? It'd be so much easier to point all newbs to ONE page where they can find 90% of their answers. How much longer do we need to wait for this??

Anway...once you have paired your devices (to pair them: inside the bluetooth program...discoverable should be set to YES, and dial-up networking should be set to OFF) THEN you turn discoverable to NO (won't need to turn it on again 'til you need to pair it) and dial-up networking ON. Then you create a new bluetooth dial-up account using this information:

Username: sprint username@sprint.com
    Password: sprint password
    Dial: #777

That should be it.
    Settle down folks. No need to bring someone's family into it or complain when someone doesn't search. Even I haven't bothered to find the instructions to get DUN working with T-Mobile and my Powerbook. One of these days...
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Where's that WIKI, TC mods?? It'd be so much easier to point all newbs to ONE page where they can find 90% of their answers. How much longer do we need to wait for this??
    Agreed, good idea, but we'll sooner see a Treo 5000.....
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Settle down folks. No need to bring someone's family into it or complain when someone doesn't search. Even I haven't bothered to find the instructions to get DUN working with T-Mobile and my Powerbook. One of these days...
    I'm settled. Point out where I complained that he didn't search. I merely indicated that he SHOULD search...there is a difference.
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast