Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    do u think its okay for a very responsible 13 year old to have a treo 650?
    sweet
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnsherman438
    do u think its okay for a very responsible 13 year old to have a treo 650?
    Are you the 13 yo?
  4.    #4  
    I am the parent of a son who wants to get one.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    there is no such thing as a very responsible 13 year old......

do they have a cell phone now ?
  6.    #6  
    Yes he has a cell phone currently and his t-mobile contract just ended. He has never run over minutes and it seems to be working out but I just wanted to get some opinions.
    I have 14 and 12 year old boys now. I do good to get them to keep the batteries charged and remember to take them with them. The 14 year olds has a crack down the back of his. I wouldn't let him have a Treo. He also broke his cousins by going in the pool with it in his pocket. "he forgot" Aren't kids great?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yes he has a cell phone currently and his t-mobile contract just ended. He has never run over minutes and it seems to be working out but I just wanted to get some opinions.
    How reliant on a PDA is he? Why would a 13 yo want a treo? Don't forget if the phone gets wet said phone will be worthless (then again there is insurance). How will said 13 yo use the treo to make his schoolwork easier?
    Lets make this political. This conservative says yes, the liberal NRG wants to regulate
  10.    #10  
    He is very good with electronics and is always talking about them with his father. He always naming off to me all these features that the treo has but I don't really know much about this stuff. We would deffinitly sign him up for the insurance for sure if he got it. Also I don't think that it has anything to do with his schoolwork.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    He is very good with electronics and is always talking about them with his father. He always naming off to me all these features that the treo has but I don't really know much about this stuff. We would deffinitly sign him up for the insurance for sure if he got it. Also I don't think that it has anything to do with his schoolwork.
    It will (have something to do with his homework). I have wasted many days just playin' with the damn thing. Plus there is a ton of games and other distractions such as IM, on it. For the positive side he can type out papers and will always have a great calculator, look up stuff with iPedia, keep track of home work assignments, keep track of his bank account, etc.
    No matter who you are, how old you are, or what your occupation is, you can always find a way to customize your Treo that will make your life easier. (Even a 13 year old)
    I teach 13 year olds one on one and have taught 8,000 lessons in the last four years...

ABSOLUTELY NOT...

This would be typical of a PLANO(texas) parent...give your kid something they do not...

need
    appreciate
    have the maturity to respect

I can't even begin to explain why this is a giant mistake...

I teach in an area where pot is too boring and "ghetto" for kids so they go straight to heroin.

Sad...you have know idea...they live in giant houses and have everything they want and earn nothing. Nothing is a challenge.

Sorry.. but this gets me so irrational I can't write anymore. If you care about your kids...PM me for my phone #. I'll be glad to share with you my experiences and you can make your own decision. I am not perfect but I do know what 13 year olds go through today...not from the parents or TV or public service messages...but from good kids that trust me and see other middle school kids getting washed out.
    If he's responsible, and you trust him, then sure. I got my daughter her phone too (13 years old, & not a Treo), but bad grades, low test scores, no Treo for her. If your looking to adopt another kid or just buy a Treo for, I'm here....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I teach 13 year olds one on one and have taught 8,000 lessons in the last four years...

ABSOLUTELY NOT...

This would be typical of a PLANO(texas) parent...give your kid something they do not...

need
    appreciate
    have the maturity to respect

I can't even begin to explain why this is a giant mistake...

I teach in an area where pot is too boring and "ghetto" for kids so they go straight to heroin.

Sad...you have know idea...they live in giant houses and have everything they want and earn nothing. Nothing is a challenge.

Sorry.. but this gets me so irrational I can't write anymore. If you care about your kids...PM me for my phone #. I'll be glad to share with you my experiences and you can make your own decision. I am not perfect but I do know what 13 year olds go through today...not from the parents or TV or public service messages...but from good kids that trust me and see other middle school kids getting washed out.

I just changed my mind. Its a set up that is going to lead to a new car at 17.
    My dad got me an IBM PC when I was 13-14. I was the first on my block to get one and it led me to major in EE in college. Yes, I played a lot of games on my PC, but it also sparked an interest in electronics and computers for me.

Nobody knows your kid better than you do. If he/she is truly responsible, I'd say go for it.
    I'd say that if you really think he can be responsible for it, and appreciate it, then MAKE HIM EARN IT. And I mean REALLY earn it. If he truly wants it enough, he will work for it, and learn a valuable lesson.

I agree with Dutch....too many kids have EVERYTHING handed to them these days, to the point where the EXPECT everything to be easy. It's very sad.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    How about you get him a regular phone and a PSP...
    We bought my son a use Treo 180 for christmas with a prepaid SIM. He was 12, he used it for for a few text messages but mainly his homework planner. Being used it did die at the end of the school year. He decided he really wanted a Treo 600. So he worked for a month or so & earned every penny. He now takes really good care of his treo. He uses it as his mp3 player on a daily basis. We did get him a metal case to keep it in.
    YMMV
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    We bought my son a use Treo 180 for christmas with a prepaid SIM. He was 12, he used it for for a few text messages but mainly his homework planner. Being used it did die at the end of the school year. He decided he really wanted a Treo 600. So he worked for a month or so & earned every penny. He now takes really good care of his treo. He uses it as his mp3 player on a daily basis. We did get him a metal case to keep it in.
    YMMV
    I would go with this idea myself. This is the best idea I have seen proposed so far.
    Last edited by NRG; 07/19/2005 at 12:57 AM. Reason: After closer inspection ebay seller had one rating.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast