1.    #1  
    Finally... felt like it came out of an oven when UPS handed me the box. Anyway, my new 650 is charging now and in a few hours I hope to be fiddling madly and testing out the built in apps before adding in a few that i've seen recomended here.

Directory Assistant 3.2x looks pretty amazing. There were one or two others, maybe a theme or two. Its taken me so freaking long to get this little unit that i've forgotten half of what I wanted to put on it already. *sigh*
    Congrats!

My advice:

1. Load on Uninstall Manager first. That way, you will have an easier time deleting apps you don't like.

2. Check out the CD for additional apps, such as Docs to Go (free, I think), and others.

3. Get a big SD card and use an app like Zlauncher to move apps to the card;

4. If you have a previous Palm device, DO NOT sync everything straight over. Start from scratch.

5. Get some good headphones so you can have fun with MP3's, steaming audio, movies, etc.

6. You have a free trial on Voice Dial (on the CD), so try it out.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tips... I am actually totally new to Palm. I've been a PPC user for about 5 years but a new job brings about new PDA requirements so I'm in the process of moving. So far my only huge gripe with the Treo 650 is the paltry 32mb of builtin memory. I've already got a 1GB SD card for it and am contemplating getting a second.

I will have to google the uninstall manager and zlauncher. I'm not too familiar with PALM stuff yet. I do know i want to get Directory Assistant 3.2x going however.

Or is Uninstall Manager on the Palm/Sprint CD that came with the phone?
    Congrats to you Andrax; I bet you could have run the UPS guy over trying to get to your box. Glad you F-I-N-A-L-L-Y got it!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Yeah, we all love the UPS deliveries!

If you are totally new to Palm, PowerRUN might be better to start with than zlauncher. PowerRUN: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home

Uninstall Manager: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=46248

Pocket Tunes Deluxe: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

zlauncher: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home

Uninstall manager you can get from Palmgear.com:
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    Thanks for the tips...
    Click the link below. It's a good place for software. And it's easy on the budget!

FreewarePalm: New Software: Page 1 of 10

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Hi LiveSoundGuy - that was the wrong link.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Hi LiveSoundGuy - that was the wrong link.
    It works here. Try this one.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/moresoftware.shtml

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    OK, your link looks different to me now, and works. Thanks for both links.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've heard more about zlauncher and it seems to be they way most people are going. I've been in Information Systems for some time, so I don't mind a bit of a steeper learning curve if its a superior & more widely supported/utilized application.
    If you IM, verichat is probably not a bad investment. Or you can go with Agile Messenger, which is not as good but it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    Finally... felt like it came out of an oven when UPS handed me the box. Anyway, my new 650 is charging now and in a few hours I hope to be fiddling madly and testing out the built in apps before adding in a few that i've seen recomended here.

Directory Assistant 3.2x looks pretty amazing. There were one or two others, maybe a theme or two. Its taken me so freaking long to get this little unit that i've forgotten half of what I wanted to put on it already. *sigh*

Felt like it came out of an oven. You must have been in the northeast today.
  13.    #13  
    Question... I noticed that uninstall manager doesnt appear to list existing/default integrated programs like Real Player. I hate all things REAL with a passion and would love to strip it from the system but it isnt even listed as an option. Is this normal?

I did see somewhere (a month or more ago) that someone has custom rom's with some applications stripped out. Are these safe?
    Free advice....RTFM!!!!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I think they are totaly safe. They are on Shadomites site http://shadowmite.com/index.html
    Dont forget Directory Assistant, its half way down the page --> http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/
  16.    #16  
    Woof:

jamespaurlritter: I already got directory assistant installed and tried to play with it a little bit. Looks like an outstanding app, but the 2 querries i tried to run returned 0 results, so i'm still trying to get it going.
    When my wife saw directory assistant she decided she wanted a treo too. I put in "Lowes" and got 10 addresses and numbers,,,,I was shocked, I would pay 20 bucks for that app,,,,
    I would avoid those custom ROMs at all costs, unless you are totally self-sufficient and plan to be able to kill your device from time to time, and also plan to not need to return it or get warranty work (I also don't open up any electronics I have, so you get a sense for my reluctance to 'take things apart'. )

You might also give Handmark Express a try, for awesome maps and lookup functions. It does a bunch more, but the 411 lookup and save to address book/dial/map/cache maps - it's an awesome app. Directory Asst is nice (it's free, which is always good) but Express is a much better overall UI and experience. Once I started to use Express, I never went back to DirAsst. And I did really like DA.
    www.handmark.com