1.    #1  
    I like having one device that does lots of things, that's why I have a Treo. I'm no audophile but listen to music on it once in a while, usually on the train into NYC. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the sound quality of an mp3 played on the Treo verses a dedicated player such as the Ipod.
    iPod folks say yes. (iPod sound is better)

My Treo sounds fine to me and is just one device to carry. ( I have not listened to an iPod.)

Cheers, Perry
    My son just bought an ipod. I'd say the sound is somewhat better. But it depends a lot on where you're listening. In a noisy environment, the difference is impossible to hear. The best improvement you can make to the sound of a Treo is by a decent set of headphones that isolate you from external noise. Unfortunately, they're not cheap, for the most part.

The biggest advantages of the ipod, to me, are the capacity (4 GB or more), ease of use, and the interface with itunes (which could be considered a limitation, too). The interface is much better than Ptunes or RealPlayer.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I just come across the iAudio forum, and find out the rating for it is really positive, even better than iPOD.
    I can deal with carrying around just shy of a gig of MP3s in my pocket at all times since my mp3 player is my friggin' phone. Your ipod isn't a phone...if it is, it's a crappy phone with no keyboard.

Seriously, though...try Aeroplayer and mess around with its EQ and then compare to the iPod!! They're virtually identical...I'm not the biggest audiophile, but I can notice differences when playing the same bits of songs back-to-back repeatedly. I couldn't notice any difference between Aeroplayer on the 650 and iPods.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replys. I had the feeling the difference in sound quality was little if any and completely canceled out by the convenience of only having to carry one device. I have twenty albums stored on my one gig card in addition to all the programs I use and don't really see the need to carry around my entire library everywhere I go.
    I carry 40 or so CDs on my 1Gb card (burned as 64K WMA files - I want quantity, not quality), and I rock out all the time, constantly. No need to carry around some other player.
    And the whole experience is made much better with the palm 'hybrid headset' - having one headset to use for both music and phone basically means that I always have my music going, and can take or make any call, any time. I would suggest a combo headset like that.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks...I bought a Treo hybrid headset a few days ago....not sure of the sound quality, but it was cheap. I considered one of the noise canceling sets, but not being an audiophile, I can't justify the expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    iPod folks say yes. (iPod sound is better)

My Treo sounds fine to me and is just one device to carry. ( I have not listened to an iPod.)

Cheers, Perry
    this iPod folk says the sound difference is not substantial, if any.
    as has been said here, the biggest thing is head/earphones.

i have ipod and treo.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen
    Thanks...I bought a Treo hybrid headset a few days ago....not sure of the sound quality, but it was cheap. I considered one of the noise canceling sets, but not being an audiophile, I can't justify the expense.
    I was always an earbud guy until recently when I spent like 3 hours comparing the same songs over and over again using different players and headphones/earbuds. Earbuds have virtually no bass. Earbuds also used to never hurt my ear after a long time, but now that I've been wearing these headphones for a couple days...I dunno how I wore the earbuds. My ears do tend to get a little hot with the headphones preventing my ears from breathing, but I can deal with it for the better sound now.
    Ipod is better. Use the treo if you only want to carry one devise or listen through the external speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I was always an earbud guy until recently when I spent like 3 hours comparing the same songs over and over again using different players and headphones/earbuds. Earbuds have virtually no bass. Earbuds also used to never hurt my ear after a long time, but now that I've been wearing these headphones for a couple days...I dunno how I wore the earbuds. My ears do tend to get a little hot with the headphones preventing my ears from breathing, but I can deal with it for the better sound now.
    It's hard to get good bass out of any speaker that small. But the key to (good) earbuds is placement. They need to set just right in your ear. It's not going to be OMFG!!!! great, but decent.

It's a trade-off. I have Bang & Olufsen a8's for my iPod. Why? Because it looks silly walking around with my Sennheiser or my Audio-Tech.'s. Likewise it would be silly to plug the B&O's in a studio environment.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Ipod is better. Use the treo if you only want to carry one devise or listen through the external speaker.
    Have you used Aeroplayer?? Once I messed around with the EQs on the Treo and the iPod, they sounded exactly the same to me - GREAT!! PTunes destroys the bass...other than that it's not so bad, but Aeroplayer definitely sounds better. If only Aeroplayer and Blazer worked well together...then it'd be perfect! I don't really care for streaming audio unless I can get at least 128kbps consistently....
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It's hard to get good bass out of any speaker that small. But the key to (good) earbuds is placement. They need to set just right in your ear. It's not going to be OMFG!!!! great, but decent.

It's a trade-off. I have Bang & Olufsen a8's for my iPod. Why? Because it looks silly walking around with my Sennheiser or my Audio-Tech.'s. Likewise it would be silly to plug the B&O's in a studio environment.
    I like the idea of walking around with some Sennheisers on your head...if you decide you're done using them, you just drop 'em down to neck-level. Beautiful!!

The style is white earbuds today...but tomorrow, it's the biggest headphones your neck can hold without buckling.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I like the idea of walking around with some Sennheisers on your head...if you decide you're done using them, you just drop 'em down to neck-level. Beautiful!!

The style is white earbuds today...but tomorrow, it's the biggest headphones your neck can hold without buckling.
    If I'm at home, that's an option. But you know, if I'm out riding my bike, my ears will get all sweaty
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yea, exercising would require earbuds...but I don't exercise, so that example never would have crossed my mind.