Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    That's a nice post Darnell. The problem is that the message gets confused by some and exacerbated as it makes it's disseminated. Add that to an overly optimistic auience of fone fanatics (which many of us are here to varying degrees.) While all of us would like a certain outcome we have to keep it calm and see the facts as they are today.

I thought it was pretty clear that Sam wasn't sure how bona fide his source is but credible enough to think it worth posting along with his disclaimer. Keep it coming man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    is it me, or what the h*!! did slinky just say.....i think he doesnt even know what he said...oh man....now i got a headache.....you're killin' me man, keep it comprehensive for us *little people*...!!
    he said he and some friends were going to stop for Chinese and he would pick us up something if we were hungry.........sheesh
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 07/19/2005 at 04:38 PM.
    But what I was going to say was:

That's a nice post Darnell. The problem is that the message gets confused by some and more confused by others as it trickled down through everyone. Then add that to a bunch of phone lovers (which all of us are) who are hoping for the best. While all of us would like to know what was going to happen exactly we should just relax and look at the facts we have today. I thought it was pretty clear that Sam wasn't exactly sure how for real his source was but real enough to think it worth posting along with his disclaimer

Since I have a 600, this would be a MAJOR upgrade for me - twice the memory, faster processor, high resolution, Bluetooth, WiFi (hopefully). I could not ask for anything more and this sounds realistic. As far as EV-DO is concerned, we will be faced with the question of cost which will no doubt be high compared to our $15 unlimited Vision, but at those speeds, who can resist?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    for a phone that's over $400 this is all i'm asking for
    - mp3 ringtone support
    - better bluetooth support (my 650 hates my HFL in my TL )
    - user profiles (where you can create profiles for meetings, silent, accept calls from family only, etc)
    - a universal head phone jack

i'm happy with my 650 but i found these out after i spent $450. it blew my mind that i had to purchase 3rd party software to accomplish the mp3 ringtone and the user profiles.

but what i'm looking forward to is that wi-fi and better way of multi tasking. if wi-fi will be available, i sure hope they don't destroy my excitement by disabling one feature while the other is enabled
    The feature I'll open my wallet for - with or without any discount - is reliability. Both HW and SW. It can be done, it takes only the commitment to do it and a small increase in cost. There are _plenty_ of people in the general nontech public as well as here on the board who will pay for that. See 'Toyota vs GM(egalon). Godzilla wins ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by w1n78
    for a phone that's over $400 this is all i'm asking for
    - mp3 ringtone support
    - user profiles (where you can create profiles for meetings, silent, accept calls from family only, etc)
    - a universal head phone jack
    -I use LightWav, I didn't use MP3 ringtones 'til recently, but LightWav's the best.
    -LightWav has user profiles. There's also a program called 'Profiles' written by Jeff Gibson...but I don't know if it supports anything other than the standard MIDI ringtones (you can find a ton of MIDI ringtones at http://www.mididb.com...those're what I used before LightWav)
    -the headphone jack is universal, as far as cell phones go. No cell phone has a 3.5mm jack (as far as I know), but I'm sure that the Treo will prolly be the first to get it...seeing as how most people request this more than most other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    The feature I'll open my wallet for - with or without any discount - is reliability.
    Since that last release of patches of Palm, what "reliability" issues are you having that are not caused by 3rd party software?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    But what I was going to say was:

That's a nice post Darnell. The problem is that the message gets confused by some and more confused by others as it trickled down through everyone. Then add that to a bunch of phone lovers (which all of us are) who are hoping for the best. While all of us would like to know what was going to happen exactly we should just relax and look at the facts we have today. I thought it was pretty clear that Sam wasn't exactly sure how for real his source was but real enough to think it worth posting along with his disclaimer

LMAO! I like this new and improved version of slinky's post.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Since that last release of patches of Palm, what "reliability" issues are you having that are not caused by 3rd party software?
    Caused or fixed? Some of the most basic functions can only be achieved through 3rd party software. It may not be asking too much, but some of this stuff should just be standard.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    ^ You are talking about "features" and SuperCrackBerry said "reliability". I think we are talking about different things.

We all want certain features. However I must say the thing is reliable.
  10.    #90  
    Reporting again:

there are rumors in Palm (Palm1) camp that some of developers will get their hands on some PDAs with beta versions of new OS for testing, at the end of this month or next month. There is big discussion about which beta OS is it, Windows (for beta testing on Palm hardware) or PalmLinux (its first preview or testing with PDA)?? And again they are PDA and not a TREO. (got it???)

Keep tuned.

And yes. Next treo will not be released till next year (confirmed per source). There are issues with PTT (which Sprint is pushing due to Nextel merger thingy I guess) in new Treo. There are some technical issues and need more testing. Sorry folks.

Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Will the PTT function avaiable on the unlocked GSM version? With all the new features coming out for Sprint, I don't know if it will have enough new feature for the GSM version. I mean they got to do something to make the package more attractive. More memory or larger screen? Dual SDIO + MiniSD slots would be cool.
    If the new OS is Windows then the next Treo will probably be able to run the upcoming Windows Mobile Slingbox client. With that and WiFi (I figure EVDO is a given) I'd be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Reporting again:

there are rumors in Palm (Palm1) camp that some of developers will get their hands on some PDAs with beta versions of new OS for testing, at the end of this month or next month. There is big discussion about which beta OS is it, Windows (for beta testing on Palm hardware) or PalmLinux (its first preview or testing wi
    I am told Palm is extending a testing phase of some new networking type thing they are developing. I don't know if this is at all relating to what you are talking about but this... rumor that I heard says Palm is getting more into software.
    This isn't to say that they will NOT be using Microsoft Mobile at this point and relying strictly on their own stuff, he just said that they are working on building some new element that ties everything together maybe inter-operating with only Palm units, maybe inter-operating with both Palm and Microsoft units.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Reporting again:
    And yes. Next treo will not be released till next year (confirmed per source).
    I've been waiting to pick up new phone and have been looking at the 650, but decided to wait once I read about them releasing a new one. So when you say "next year" is that like Q1 2006 or more like Q4 2006? Since if it is early in 2006 I might be able to hold out until then.

Thanks.
    I am still rooting for Q4 of 2005 (December/Sprint), however, the Q1 of 2006 evidence continues to mount. It WILL NO BE Q4 of 2006!

Just my opinion.
    I think Palm should build more consumer software, a la the PalmOS version of the iLife (iTunes/iPhoto/iDVD) package. Then again the Palm browser is so awful I don't know if they should make more programs.

Regarding the OS, I am convinced it's a modification of the current OS. There isn't time for Linux or WM, simple as that. The OS for 650 is 5.4, it took them a few months to patch the file system. So think of it as the PalmOS 5.8 or something. If they are going to add wifi, >2GB SD supoort, bluetooth 1.2, EVDO, all the things that's obviously going to be added to the next Treo. then there is no time for drastic change.
    Well;
    Just an FYI, the Bluetooth 1.2 stack was licensed for Cobalt and not Garnet. To add it would mean that Palm would had to do so outside of PalmSource (possible, but why).

We all are fairly certain abuot the WinMob Treo (I broke down the released pics back when they were released and showed the carefully hidden start menu and 240x240 interface; just couldnt tell if it was WM5 since that was well before WM5 was announced).

According to sam's comments, it would probably be Cobalt, and there may be an issue with the network stack for CDMA on Sprint's side since they have been doing a rollout of their imporved network for a while (notice how most of the lineup has changed at the top end, but not yet at the bottom).

Finally speaking, I have been visiting TC since the first Treos came out, why did it take me so long to register (not having a Treo could be part of it thuogh)?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I am told Palm is extending a testing phase of some new networking type thing they are developing. I don't know if this is at all relating to what you are talking about but this... rumor that I heard says Palm is getting more into software.
    If the wifi reporting is true, then the issue taht you are talking about would most likely have to do with the network handoff, meaning jumping from CDMA to wifi. Dont know if GSM Treos would carry it initially, but for Sprint to have this in the next Treo would beat a few WM5 phones to the punch.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  20. dnt
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=695201

That was the Treo I was talking about a couple of months back. Looks like someone else got one too. He will have video up hopefully soon.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast