Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    The current implementation under Garnet is "cooperative" multitasking, which essentially requires each application that wants to run in the background to manage itself nicely and behave. The Cobalt implementation is "preemptive", which means the OS itself manages the multitasking. This is much better. The application basically doesn't need to deal with any multitasking details unless it wants to. The OS does not need to worry about a misbehaving application as much since it is owning the important details.
    Currently the developers at TapTarget.com creators of ispin launcher, are working on true multitasking for the CURRENT Palm OS. I've read in thier forums they are developing a "core" for a
    future upgrade to ispin that will allow multitasking. According to the programmers post, apps will REALLY run concurrently. They won't terminate when minimizing in their windows style launcher. If its true this will be incredible. Apparently, they already got it working OS 4.1 Check out the posts
    http://www.taptarget.com/forum/viewt...asking&start=0

http://www.taptarget.com/forum/viewt...titasking#3123
    Last edited by migs; 07/16/2005 at 09:24 PM.
    Sorry, don't want to be a thread crapper, but how is this kind of rumor any different from the gazillion others posted over the years here? As far as I'm concerned, unless there's some real evidence like a powerpoint presentation screenshot, pic, consumer data sheet, etc, then all of this is just superfulous. There have been soo many fakes in the past in regards to new palm models (recall the Tx leaked on 1src last year?) that I don't think any rumor like this should be trusted...

Sorry, sam, nothing personal....
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/16/2005 at 10:27 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Multitasking is something that in some way or another the Treo 650 does right now. Examples: I can browse the web using Blazer while listening to PTunes on the background and getting email notifications from Chatter on the background. At the same time I can do a quick reply and send emails on the background. Later on, as I'm replaying a post on TreoCentral in blazer, a friend of mine sends me a MSN message through Verichat on the background to which I send a quick reply on the background. Therefore, we do have multitasking, but it is implemented a bit different than it is done in Cobalt.

Al

Yeah, hacked up frankengarnet, buggy, mess is what it is...

Cobalt is a true multithreading os with much better multimedia support, wireless support and etc...

Remember alot of things Palm hacked into FrankenGarnet like NVFS were originally part or Cobalt (and are much better integrated)...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    The current implementation under Garnet is "cooperative" multitasking, which essentially requires each application that wants to run in the background to manage itself nicely and behave. The Cobalt implementation is "preemptive", which means the OS itself manages the multitasking. This is much better. The application basically doesn't need to deal with any multitasking details unless it wants to. The OS does not need to worry about a misbehaving application as much since it is owning the important details.

I'm not familiar with how much of this applies to Garnet vs Cobalt, but most of the above should remain true.

Windows 3.x to Windows 95 made the same jump.

Here's a nice thrad about the multitasking process of Cobalt fyi...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4347

I can n't believe the story made it to Engadget.
    Even though mentioned as rumor ,still toomuch .
    May be they did n't have much news this week from the rest of gadget world.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Here's a nice thrad about the multitasking process of Cobalt fyi...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4347
    Interesting point. Not thought about it that way before.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I completely agree in that it's amazing this made it on Engadget...it certainly won't make it on Slashdot, though. I know for sure the WiFi thing isn't true - it just can't be. As for the Cobalt thing...I never thought we'd see a Palm device with Cobalt. I thought they'd skip it and go straight to Palm Linux like they said. But...the more I think about it, it seems plausible as the OS is prolly the number one con of the Treo 650. I want a real OS on my smartphone...and if they need to use Cobalt as a stepping stone to work out more bugs, go right ahead 'cause I'm not buyin' it 'til Palm Linux is out!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    It sure smacks of the conservative, incremental upgrades that Palm is (in)famous for.
    LOL, absolutely... by the time they upgrade the Treo to 64 MB of RAM the world will have long passed that by... oh wait. That's already not a whole lot of RAM and it was on the Tungsten C which came out like what... years ago?

Regarding Palm Linux... I'd like to know what is the big deal other than another technical hurdle that they can put on their Treo resume?

As far as the "shocking" info headline goes, I would have like to have seen a few pictures of scantily clad Treos...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Regarding Palm Linux... I'd like to know what is the big deal other than another technical hurdle that they can put on their Treo resume?
    Well...PalmSource gets to toss a lot of the work in the direction of the open source community and they focus on the UI, applications, and integration of applications (essentially the same thing as what Apple did - using FreeBSD in OS X). There's also a TON of free linux applications...and when you add them to the ton of free palm applications...you've got an UBER-TON of applications. And as we already learned in the communism thread...diversity means competition which leads to better end-results. Linux was built to be a multi-user, multi-tasking, networking, secure, stable OS; it already did what PalmSource couldn't do with Cobalt.

That's part of the big deal. There's much more...like programmers being able to change the functions of the OS/programs that are open source, and replicating that by making their source available as well. It just keeps building up and building up and before you know it, you've got an OS that's better than anything Microsoft could have ever dreamed.

I am curious as to why they didn't choose a BSD variant instead of Linux (like Apple did)...and also, if they're going to release other code besides the kernel (i.e. - their UI or other applications), which I'm doubting.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Well...PalmSource gets to toss a lot of the work in the direction of the open source community and they focus on the UI, applications, and integration of applications (essentially the same thing as what Apple did - using FreeBSD in OS X). There's also a TON of free linux applications...and when you add them to the ton of free palm applications...you've got an UBER-TON of applications.
    Thanks for the info. I hear ya. But I don't think you can use most desktop linux programs on the Palm, nor would I want to. From what I read the Palm OS will be running on top of a Linux based platform and I wonder what exactly is fully open. I agree with you and wonder about this... but to be honest with you, the cost of additional software for the Palm isn't really an area that would concern me in deciding which phone to get. I'd get the one that operates in superior fashion and has a more mature collection of software.

That's part of the big deal. There's much more...like programmers being able to change the functions of the OS/programs that are open source, and replicating that by making their source available as well. It just keeps building up and building up and before you know it, you've got an OS that's better than anything Microsoft could have ever dreamed.
    I've found existing software to be most adequate in handling limitations, e.g. Butler, BatteryDr., VolumeCare, etc. Palm killed Treo high end development by skimping on RAM in inane fashion and the software isn't such a huge deficiency. Act, a common business/sales app, cannot be run effectively on a Palm because it's footprint is way too large. Web browsing is inadequate and RAM can make a big difference here. Personally I think Apple made a huge mistake with OSX because it took longer to put out than GM with their Saturn. The only thing that saved them was marketing those colored little PC boxes that people found out weren't as good as they looked on their desktops. It also helped to have Microsoft kick in a lot of antitrust money...

What I notice about PPC is that the platform is maturing and getting noticeably better with every release, as is the way with most things. Software developers are becoming more and more familiar wtih the platform and will continue past development. It baffles me to think that Palm would want to start this process all over again and start from scratch when it has issues of not progressing with current software and losing market share.

I think the reason why Linux is potentially the "windows killer" is because power and enterprise users don't need to purchase site licenses. That's a big cost regarding buying Windows for 3,000 PCs or running numerous web servers. Most Palm applications are a fraction of the cost and every phone you get comes with the OS that is standard. It will be interesting to see where this goes but I really think Palm has totally lost focus and has allowed competitors to make much larger advances that make bigger differences to users in meaningful ways.
    Isn't Sharp's C3100 Linux PDA runs on the same xscale CPU?? That's alot of software right there.

Also Motorola's Linux phone is not bad. My friend has a A680. I played with it. It felt very mature. And there are tons of Chinese software on it. That means the companies that come out of absolutely left field and are making PPC right now (E-Ten, BenQ, etc) can make a linux version.
    Wow... it will actually be close to catching up to the Samsung I730
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Thanks for the info. I hear ya. But I don't think you can use most desktop linux programs on the Palm, nor would I want to. From what I read the Palm OS will be running on top of a Linux based platform and I wonder what exactly is fully open. I agree with you and wonder about this... but to be honest with you, the cost of additional software for the Palm isn't really an area that would concern me in deciding which phone to get. I'd get the one that operates in superior fashion and has a more mature collection of software.

I've found existing software to be most adequate in handling limitations, e.g. Butler, BatteryDr., VolumeCare, etc. Palm killed Treo high end development by skimping on RAM in inane fashion and the software isn't such a huge deficiency. Act, a common business/sales app, cannot be run effectively on a Palm because it's footprint is way too large. Web browsing is inadequate and RAM can make a big difference here. Personally I think Apple made a huge mistake with OSX because it took longer to put out than GM with their Saturn. The only thing that saved them was marketing those colored little PC boxes that people found out weren't as good as they looked on their desktops. It also helped to have Microsoft kick in a lot of antitrust money...

What I notice about PPC is that the platform is maturing and getting noticeably better with every release, as is the way with most things. Software developers are becoming more and more familiar wtih the platform and will continue past development. It baffles me to think that Palm would want to start this process all over again and start from scratch when it has issues of not progressing with current software and losing market share.

I think the reason why Linux is potentially the "windows killer" is because power and enterprise users don't need to purchase site licenses. That's a big cost regarding buying Windows for 3,000 PCs or running numerous web servers. Most Palm applications are a fraction of the cost and every phone you get comes with the OS that is standard. It will be interesting to see where this goes but I really think Palm has totally lost focus and has allowed competitors to make much larger advances that make bigger differences to users in meaningful ways.
    You talk too much slinky for knowing so little.

Noo...desktop linux apps do not run on embedded linux devices. Just like Windows apps do not run on desktop PCs. Like the poster below you stated, Sharp devices run Linux and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to port those apps to Palm Linux; hence, tons of free Linux apps. Those apps are mature...and a large, mature collection THAT'S FREE, no less...most certainly matters to me and any and all businessmen.

Apple made a mistake with OS X?? Are you friggin' kidding me?? I'm not even touching that one. BSD software is of the highest quality -- it is the best in every aspect of OS design EXCEPT THAT IT HAS NO DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE in comparison to Windows, and even Linux. Apple changed that with a little bit of time, money, and developers; it is now undoubtedly the most advanced operating system to date.

PalmSource released Cobalt and it sucked. Nobody wanted it. By acquiring China MobileSoft, they got a version of Linux developed for cell phones already. They build that version of Linux for Palm devices and design it in a way that it's backwards-compatible with the already existing Palm applications and they have lost nothing, but gained a hell lot more than you could possibly imagine, slinky!!

If you think you're going to narrow down why Linux is the Windows-killer to one thing, you need to read more. It's the Windows for a billion reasons. Stability, Security for starters. There's no viruses, no adware, no spyware, no malware of any kind. There are multiple distributions that serve separate and distinct functions. Slackware, Gentoo, and the like are for servers/programmers; Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc. are for desktops; there are LiveCDs of distributions to run without touching a computer's hard drive at all; there are embedded distributions like China MobileSoft's product that PalmSource bought. That competition between distributions and desktop environments (i.e. - Gnome and KDE) are what fuels innovation and keeps them from being as stale as Windows has been since 3.0. You have much more choice and customization potential with Linux versus Windows. You can see the code in OPEN SOURCE software which means you actually know what the program is doing...or even alter it for your personal or commercial needs. Also, because that code is open for everyone to see, some projects can take what somebody else has done and build on top of it - saving a lot of time and money.

But Windows cannot stand a chance against Linux for the simple fact that it's free. I don't mean strictly free in the sense of "free beer" (even though no cost doesn't hurt)...but also as in open, or free speech. Windows will never be able to stop the open source movement, no matter how much money they spend. Mark my words (along with the "no WiFi in the next Treo" promise)...Linux will kill Windows.

Slinky...HONESTLY!! READ!! The answers are out there if you really want them. I just feel like I'm Morpheus asking you which pill you'd like to take. You say red, but you pick the blue one over and over again. I feel sorry for a big, bad ***, corporate New Yorker that is constantly being corrected by a small, dumbass, college student from Mississippi.

I just can't keep hanging around TC with people like Slinky who keep posting after they're asked to read before they speak. [Hopefully] God gave you two ears and one mouth Slinky...he wants you to listen twice as much as you speak!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloslave
    Wow... it will actually be close to catching up to the Samsung I730
    There's no way these rumored specs are accurate. How would they get you to buy the 750 or 800????
  15. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Sounds true to me... and g*d damn it's sweet:

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9168397,00.htm

Check out the screenshot. And yes, it does have WiFi natively.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph

Check out the screenshot.
    Yea, that's Palm Cobalt, alright! The OS that never was and never will be. I seriously doubt that they would use this on a phone before using it on any other Palm device!! However, like I said, this feature is up in the air as far as rumors go, because IMO Garnet sucks balls, but apparently not as much as Cobalt...otherwise we would have seen it by now. It was initially released to developers in like December of 2003, I believe. Hmm...what does the future hold in store for us?

And yes, it does have WiFi natively.
    Wudda ya mean, "Yes, it does have WiFi natively"??? Who the heck are you? Have you held this device in your hands and seen it with your own eyes?
    I can't imagine we'll see the "Treo 700" anytime soon. With sales of the 650 booming (and accounting for a huge percentage of Palm/Palmone's profit) and only very weak, if any, competition, not shure why the'd be rushing to push a new product just yet.

Just MTCW (my two cents worth)

Sounds like good logic to me Argelius
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts

I don't see any hardware pictures. Palm OS has supported WiFi and Palm devices for several years. The challenge for us has been getting that same support on Palm-based PDA phones like the Treo.

Did anyone notice the date of the review? 10 months old seems a bit stale to me.
    Mike
    Learn something new everyday.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast