Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    That's pretty reasonable. But why wouldn't PalmOne^H^H^H release this in the end of year for Sprint if it's just an very nice evolution of the 650? I mean all the rumor I have been hearing is that the new Treo will be out next year.

I want a bigger screen though. I might be getting a job with very long commute. I need something that has the T5 screen and supports video and GPS. I have been researching the Sharp C3100 and the Sonu U50 lately.

edit: I think about it, this is almost exactly what I want the next Treo to be. I mean BT1.2 and wifi are my top priority. And EVDO to booth! Also I want to be able to control the music player only with the side buttons. It seems they are doing that as well. They just need to bundle pTunes and ditch Real for christ's sake! Palm please include mp3 ring tune as well. It's such a basic feature on new phone nowadays. Also please include a dummy version of "profile" in the OS.
    Last edited by whatever7; 07/16/2005 at 03:24 PM.
    I don't think this "rumor" is shocking at all, its just realistic. I mean all the typical speculation has the next Treo seeing improvement in bounds and not steps that are more atainable and achievable, in a manufacturing sence.

And thanks for sparing us another bad Photoshop image.......................
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    At this point , his posts on this topic sound too real to be discredited.
    So , I think he is probably right and this ain't a rumor.
    It sure smacks of the conservative, incremental upgrades that Palm is (in)famous for.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    It sure smacks of the conservative, incremental upgrades that Palm is (in)famous for.
    I don't think of moving to cobalt for the 1st time as being conservative.

also...it's already on engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027050757/
    I wrote this on 1src during the time Jeff Kirvin was saying that Palms were dead and that Cobalt was a dead OS. He actually apologized to his listeners for saying too much crap.

http://www.1src.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=59

Al
    Here is the link to his podcast. I was really shocked after his podcast, but I know he gets carried away on his podcasts sometimes. So don't take him too serious, he likes to rant too much for anything.

http://www.1src.com/headlines/show/0...m=show&id=1131

Al
    Would someone please list the pros/cons of Cobalt.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I think one of the most important features of Cobalt besides the Neon look is that if a program crashes and causes an exception the OS doesn't crash and resets the Palm. It is like comparing Win98 with WinXP. Cobalt gives apps a separate space in memory (sand box) to run applications so it doesn't compromise the OS. There are more features in Cobalt that I can't recall, but are mostly beneficial for smartphones like the Treo. I'm really happy about this rumour because it gives us something to look forward before the Palm Linux OS, which is due 3 years from now.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I don't think of moving to cobalt for the 1st time as being conservative.

also...it's already on engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027050757/
    Probably got to engadget because someone (after reading it here) tipped them off. Interesting enough, engadgets story has todays date.
    [Thanks, anonymous tipster]
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Would someone please list the pros/cons of Cobalt.
    Tks
    Talking about cobalt, I am not very technical as I ask lot of stupid questions here, now and then. But what major fact given to me, and shocking to me again is, cobalt is mutlitasking operating system. At this time you cant do that in current Palm OS that is in 650. Now is it good or bad? I was told his PTT (which he say Palm is testing with Sprint special software, and might not be added to other companies) is giving him nightmares over other applications. I hope all bugs are out. But hey that is what beta testing is, to get all bugs out before final release.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Talking about cobalt, I am not very technical as I ask lot of stupid questions here, now and then. But what major fact given to me, and shocking to me again is, cobalt is mutlitasking operating system. At this time you cant do that in current Palm OS that is in 650. Now is it good or bad? I was told his PTT (which he say Palm is testing with Sprint special software, and might not be added to other companies) is giving him nightmares over other applications. I hope all bugs are out. But hey that is what beta testing is, to get all bugs out before final release.
    Multitasking is something that in some way or another the Treo 650 does right now. Examples: I can browse the web using Blazer while listening to PTunes on the background and getting email notifications from Chatter on the background. At the same time I can do a quick reply and send emails on the background. Later on, as I'm replaying a post on TreoCentral in blazer, a friend of mine sends me a MSN message through Verichat on the background to which I send a quick reply on the background. Therefore, we do have multitasking, but it is implemented a bit different than it is done in Cobalt.

Al
    FWIW -- in conversations that I had with Very senior Palm staff back in November, I was told that the next Treo would have Wifi -- or at least be SD Wifi capable.

Doesn't mean it will happen -- but our converstions were unusually candid...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    The current implementation under Garnet is "cooperative" multitasking, which essentially requires each application that wants to run in the background to manage itself nicely and behave. The Cobalt implementation is "preemptive", which means the OS itself manages the multitasking. This is much better. The application basically doesn't need to deal with any multitasking details unless it wants to. The OS does not need to worry about a misbehaving application as much since it is owning the important details.

I'm not familiar with how much of this applies to Garnet vs Cobalt, but most of the above should remain true.

Windows 3.x to Windows 95 made the same jump.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    I can't believe engadget post it. I am a big fan of the site (their podcasts are actually enjoyable.) But this is it, I won't listen to anything they say about the Treo anymore. I won't believe their rumor about the Treo delay either. They simply don't have any insider info.

Coincidently, I just ordered the TomTom GPS kit, and this thread is partly the motivation. The next Treo probably won't have what I want for me the ungrade. I might as well enjoy the Treo 650 I have now.
    I have to agree; with EVDO, no need for WiFi; this is all very believable with the exception of the Cobalt (even though I would like to have it). Next, since this is the first posting of rumors that I have seen on the next Treo, it seems hard pressed that we could get our hands on one by even by the 25th of December. Why can't Palm surprise us and give 128 meg of memory or more. They usually short change us even though I am a avid fan of Palm products and of the Treo. I guess we may even see a Palm (Treo) with the Pocket PC. I like both operating systems. But I love the Palm desktop and hate Outlook. Of course I could use one of those synch programs that copy data back and forth to the Palm Desktop and Outlook. The future looks promising but all of us Treo fans hate to wait. But now our appetites has been whetted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Scandalex,

WiFi for the Treo 600/650 really makes sense because WiFi is way faster than what we currently get through our carriers. However, once EV-DO gets rolled out nation wide for Sprint and Verizon there will be no need for WiFi. I know for GSM users it is going to be a different story, but if WiFi is going to be part of the feature/pricing marketing list then it is not worth at this point of time. Don't get me wrong, the more features the better, but I'm not as interested in WiFi for an EV-DO Treo as I am for my Treo 650.

Al
    Last edited by Gas Man; 07/16/2005 at 07:39 PM. Reason: grammar
  17.    #37  
    Ok I serached for Cobalt OS and here is info by PalmSource (http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html). It look promising as all info given on this site give push to all specs reported to me. It look more convincing. And I am not here to convince someone but passing along info that I got. And can someone tell whoever reported it to Engadget.com that I never claim that all specs I reported are not suppose to be in final product. I reported that all specs are in beta version of new Treo. And I am told doubts about releasing wifi already so I hope nobody bash me if wifi is not added in end product specs.
    Later.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Tks to all for the Cobalt info.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    the flaw in the cobalt rumor is why would Source stop working on Cobalt if it was on the verge of being used by the next Treo ???

If it were true, they would be running overtime nailing down all bugs & kinks during the next few months as they get ready to release a new Treo 6 months hence.

I doubt they would have locked the OS this many months in advance of product delivery.

(On the otherhand, it does provide at least some logic to the otherwise incomprehensible decision to give $26 million to PalmSource for the right to drop the One from PalmOne's name !!!)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    head phone jack on top? big exciting news.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast