Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    Life Drive, they sold one ?
    Rumor has it they sold 666; now the PDA universe has come to an end........
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    That's the same markings of Bill Gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by opensecret
    Wildstrom's column on technology says Palm will soon announce a Treo running WM5. He writes they'll sell Treos with both OS's for the foreseeable future, but that Windows will eventually dominate.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...6583_tc081.htm
    If and when they release a WM5 Treo, it will spell the beginning of the end for Palm1. The Treo will be just another smartphone forced to license WM.

Too bad they won't have the guts to use an open source (linux based?) operating system. Why not? The programmers on this board alone, like Shadowmite, make me think that the OS would just get better and better with minimal effort by Palm. The OS would very quickly become more robust than any Palm OS could achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    That's the same markings of Bill Gates.
    Almost. You'd need to add another 8 zero's after 666 to get his marking.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    More 6's...
    In the immortal words of Bill Murray:

"Dogs and cats living together!"
    so... are we still shocked about this news?

Also, I think our posted has proven him/er self as a legit source of info... (or am i jumoing to conclusions)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTreo650
    If and when they release a WM5 Treo, it will spell the beginning of the end for Palm1. The Treo will be just another smartphone forced to license WM.

Too bad they won't have the guts to use an open source (linux based?) operating system. Why not? The programmers on this board alone, like Shadowmite, make me think that the OS would just get better and better with minimal effort by Palm. The OS would very quickly become more robust than any Palm OS could achieve.

Ummm...isn't that the whole point of Palm Linux?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i'd like to thank everyone for contributing bad information about the new treo with wm5. thankfully you did not get my hopes up.
  11.    #311  
    Sorry about some shortcoming or mis-information on my part. Since we already have pictures and info out for new Treo700w, now we can close this thread. I hope nobody is going to bash me now . Thanks for reading.
    Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Sorry about some shortcoming or mis-information on my part. Since we already have pictures and info out for new Treo700w, now we can close this thread. I hope nobody is going to bash me now . Thanks for reading.
    Cya.
    Actually this this thread is about the Cobalt treo, you should know...you started it I don't see any reason to shut it with the 700w out. I still want to know what's up with the 700p or whatver it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ummm...isn't that the whole point of Palm Linux?
    gfunk-

That's exactly my biggest concern about the WM5 development. Handspring/Palm both have had a spotty record when developing for a single platform (Palm) because of all the extra work to customize the OS for a better phone AND pda experience (eg - one handed operation, phone number lookup, dialing, etc.) Now that they're supporting two very different platforms, AND the fact that M$oft controls the OS so tightly, they're really going to be strapped in development.

Top that off with the real lure of the dark side - "We'll handle the OS and interface for you - no need to drop development money there." Which OS do you think will gain favor with the corporate bean counters? Say good bye to all those expensive progammers and support personnel (oops, I forgot, Palm doesn't shine in support o begin with).

My bets are:

1. We never see a Cobalt Treo

2. Next Treo is another FrankenGarnet tweak.

3. Just like the BeOS, Linux Treo never leaves the oven

4. 2007 Palm changes its corporate name to Treo, Inc.

4. 2008 - an all M$oft line of Treos (if they're still around and weren't swallowed by Dell or Samsung).

--> -->
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    gfunk-

That's exactly my biggest concern about the WM5 development. Handspring/Palm both have had a spotty record when developing for a single platform (Palm) because of all the extra work to customize the OS for a better phone AND pda experience (eg - one handed operation, phone number lookup, dialing, etc.) Now that they're supporting two very different platforms, AND the fact that M$oft controls the OS so tightly, they're really going to be strapped in development.

Top that off with the real lure of the dark side - "We'll handle the OS and interface for you - no need to drop development money there." Which OS do you think will gain favor with the corporate bean counters? Say good bye to all those expensive progammers and support personnel (oops, I forgot, Palm doesn't shine in support o begin with).

My bets are:

1. We never see a Cobalt Treo

2. Next Treo is another FrankenGarnet tweak.

3. Just like the BeOS, Linux Treo never leaves the oven

4. 2007 Palm changes its corporate name to Treo, Inc.

4. 2008 - an all M$oft line of Treos (if they're still around and weren't swallowed by Dell or Samsung).

--> -->

sad, and quite possibly true...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    By the way -

My money's on Dell to buy out Palm:

1. Dell clearly avoided cellular in the latest version of the Axim;

2. Dell can't resist consumer electronics (MP3; plasma TV's);

3. HP is already deep into several different models of smartphones; and

4. Palm's remaining PDA's are lame also rans (compared to the Axim x51v - okay, shoot me, but you KNOW it's true)

Once Palm is in the Windoze camp, Dell will strike. Add 7xxw series to its Axim line, ditch the Tungsten/Zire. Remember, you read it here first.
  16.    #316  
    Ok. I will keep this tread open till Cobalt based treo released. I am surprised that this MS5 based treo is named Treo700W. I mean if this is Treo700w and cobalt based Treo is Treo700p, wouldnt built in wifi (now quite possible since SD card based wifi is working in Treo700w), PTT, same resolution of Treo650, will kill Treo700w when Treo700p will release???? Actually it wont. I know for sure Palm will hide new cobalt based treo for a while to collect all money from Treo700w. But I know for sure, if cobalt based Treo (Treo700p I think) performed as my source told me is beta Treo700p did, MS will run for its money. Just to tease u guys, cobalt based treo has better memory management for multiple programs when compare to MS (I am talking here older WM versions, didnt try WM5 yet). Also PTT and better resolution will sure bring Treo lovers back to Palm OS world. My suggestion is: wait a bit, you wont regret it. Palmsource is not dead and with renewed cobalt OS based treo will kick all those people who question Palm OS in smartphone territory. And personally I wont buy Treo700w yet. I cant afford EVDO and Treo650 do all things that I want. I am excited how will MS react when Palmsource announce that it is back to compete with MS .
    Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
  17.    #317  
    Also wait for new update for Treo650 with wifi stack for SD card. And yes it work well on Treo650 too. Yep Shadowmite you were right all along .
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    sam2579, I hope you are correct.
    sam2579

I hope you're right as well. However, the idea of a WiFi stack so you can use and SD card would be a real turn off to me - put thr WiFi radio INSIDE the phone where it belongs. We don't need stuff to hang out and keep track of. I can see it now: "Okay, where did I put that WiFi card, and do I have all my data on it or the other WiFi card?"
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Ok. I will keep this tread open till Cobalt based treo released. I am surprised that this MS5 based treo is named Treo700W. I mean if this is Treo700w and cobalt based Treo is Treo700p, wouldnt built in wifi (now quite possible since SD card based wifi is working in Treo700w), PTT, same resolution of Treo650, will kill Treo700w when Treo700p will release???? Actually it wont. I know for sure Palm will hide new cobalt based treo for a while to collect all money from Treo700w. But I know for sure, if cobalt based Treo (Treo700p I think) performed as my source told me is beta Treo700p did, MS will run for its money. Just to tease u guys, cobalt based treo has better memory management for multiple programs when compare to MS (I am talking here older WM versions, didnt try WM5 yet). Also PTT and better resolution will sure bring Treo lovers back to Palm OS world. My suggestion is: wait a bit, you wont regret it. Palmsource is not dead and with renewed cobalt OS based treo will kick all those people who question Palm OS in smartphone territory. And personally I wont buy Treo700w yet. I cant afford EVDO and Treo650 do all things that I want. I am excited how will MS react when Palmsource announce that it is back to compete with MS .
    Cya.
    all this sounds great, but will Palm give us ANY hint or hope of such device (700p) later today in the
    Analyst Meeting. Or will we get the same old BS line of "we don't discuss future products".

I'm sure they want spoil the MS party on the same day by telling us a 700p is coming, but at the same time don't they want to keep the Palm faithfuls happy?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>