Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Sam, just went to CNET and they show nothing about any new Treo version. Where is the link to the information you say they have...
  2.    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Hey Sam, thanks for the updates. Seems like a ew places are picking up on this info too. Koolbeans.

EDIT:
    Then again, crap I would have liked to see the Cobalt Treo now. Your info about it not coming because of the 650 seems quite weird though considering the incredible price drop of the 650 all over the place (@ $200 with contract in some places). Now, if Palm is posistioning the 670 as a temp flagship, that would be weird, and somewhat a slap and nudge to Access to get things going. Then again, if a Cobalt one if on hold, maybe, just maye, Access has been playing with the Cobalt code and did a few things that Palm wants to include and make sure that it works for the 700/ABC model.
    This is pure business decision. Price drop is for possible announcement for Treo670. Hate to say but they think Treo670 (with the addition of WM5, EVDO and more memory) is enough update for treo lovers to call it an update. PTT and Wifi is long shot anyway when you talk about Palm. And treo650 design is perfect even in today's market.

Personally just because of shady bluetooth, I might jump to other smartphone. There is no info about bluetooth update in new treo670. And that is shameful. Palm had soooooooooooooooooooo long shot over all other smartphones but they never keep up with others. I mean they have new generation treo tested, ready to be released but, they are taking chance with popular OS update. This is a shame. I know they will release Treo700 next year, but till then it will be too late.
    Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Sam, just went to CNET and they show nothing about any new Treo version. Where is the link to the information you say they have...
    Gharrod, I said VERY soon. This doesnt mean they already have it. I dont follow CNET myself but my source say he saw some staff members at Palm headoffice in Ca. This is pure guess so dont hold your breath. One thing is sure, as he said, there is something cooking at media office and that something should be released in weeks, if not days.
    Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    drum roll please.......
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Gharrod, ...One thing is sure, as he said, there is something cooking at media office and that something should be released in weeks, if not days.
    Cya.
    Want to bet it's another UNDERWHELMING handheld, and not a Treo?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Several web sites are reporting two new PDAs from Palm in the near future. My bet is that CNet was there to view those.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    This is pure business decision. Price drop is for possible announcement for Treo670. Hate to say but they think Treo670 (with the addition of WM5, EVDO and more memory) is enough update for treo lovers to call it an update. PTT and Wifi is long shot anyway when you talk about Palm. And treo650 design is perfect even in today's market.

Personally just because of shady bluetooth, I might jump to other smartphone. There is no info about bluetooth update in new treo670. And that is shameful. Palm had soooooooooooooooooooo long shot over all other smartphones but they never keep up with others. I mean they have new generation treo tested, ready to be released but, they are taking chance with popular OS update. This is a shame. I know they will release Treo700 next year, but till then it will be too late.
    Cya.
    I agree. It is a pure business decsion, but heck, good business is also stomping out a heck of a release in a WM and Cobalt Treo and just flat out killing the market (was in PRPRPR $not$ $marketing$, $so$ $I$ $think$ $more$ $of$ $image$ $before$ $$$).

The 650 design is IMO nearly perfect. I wish the additional home/off/phone buttons would have been more flushly designed. But it is better than anything out (as a package) and better than most things coming (in execution).

I dont think it will be too late to release it next year, but it would have been a heck of a shot in the bottom line to release it this year (despite PS being bought). Palm is doing well, but who says they cannot do better, then use the funds to accelerate getting these OS updates to market

BT issues? I hope they really arent that bad because hearing that the Cobalt version wont be out makes a change to my plans and has me looking for a 650 to go to in the interium (have a 600 and T5 now). Guess I go back to Craigslist looking for a good priced 650.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I wouldn't plan on cobalt treo:

"Then again, if a Cobalt one if on hold, maybe, just maye, Access has been playing with the Cobalt code and did a few things that Palm wants to include and make sure that it works for the 700/ABC model."

I remember reading many times over from ACCESS that they plan on getting their NetFront browser on OS 5. Why would they do that if Palm plans to release a Cobalt treo soon? Makes no sense.
    I find it difficult to believe that Palm will delay the launch of a new Palm OS based Treo for one year simply because the current Treo 650 is selling well. If this were true, that would be a major strategic mistake.
    as I stated earlier...
    eWeek is reporting that both Dell and Palm (formerly PalmOne) are readying new devices to be released as early as next week. Dell is rumored by be planning an updated Axim X50v that includes VoIP and WM5, and will be calling it the Axim X51v. It is expected the device will cost $424. On the Palm side of things it is rumored Palm will be releasing a replacement for the Tungsten T5, rumored to be the Tungsten X. The Tungsten X is expected to run Palm OS 5.4.9 with a 312 MHz processor, 320x480 pixel screen, WiFi, Bluetooth, and expected to cost $349. Also, it is rumored that Palm may introduce a new device in its Zire line.

None of these sound like a Treo to me...
    The rumored Palm device sound like the new Tungsten 5+ with bluetooth 1.2 and wifi, which is a very welcomed addition at $299. They haven't said anything about a phone PDA.

I just can't bring myself to care about any non-phone PDA nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    I wouldn't plan on cobalt treo:

"Then again, if a Cobalt one if on hold, maybe, just maye, Access has been playing with the Cobalt code and did a few things that Palm wants to include and make sure that it works for the 700/ABC model."

I remember reading many times over from ACCESS that they plan on getting their NetFront browser on OS 5. Why would they do that if Palm plans to release a Cobalt treo soon? Makes no sense.
    If u will, the PalmSource browser that is within cobalt already has a full and unhindered NetFront core. its actually quite nice, tabbed browsing and all. To have this on an OS5 browser woudl rock. Add the ability of the PalmSource browser to be easier to develop plugins for, you end up having the foundation of something that doesnt even need much promo, just get it out there. Problem: its only a Cobalt browser, made completly in ARM for Cobalt.

Now, take that browser, all of its niceities such as tabbed browsing (and if by some stroke of genius make it load more than one website at a time (even with another program open); and you have a browser that will turn the OS5 platform from something dead, buried and dragging, into something that will suffice into a mild mobile computing platform just long enough to get PalmLinux out there and into the hands of folks that will do better with it (aka 3rd party developers).

Hey, I sound like the ultimate fanboy, but the truth is there in the 6.1 release of Cobalt, if any of that could be backported (talking to a few programmers, it would take work but is quite doable); then u have a dead platform with new legs, and a new platform in the wings ready to take its place. Good stragety to me, and even better if it were marketed durning the super bowl (imagine: T5 user in the stadium and realizes they need to login to company network but VPN software is old. Has new browser; downloads updated VPN, installs it, goes on to watch the Eagles win ) Kind of a stretch, but that is the move that I would see with an OS 5 browser.

What that means for OS6 though is a program that works, and works well. You have a wireless platform already started with the browser, now you pitch something simple like a Treo that can run hosted applicatoins via the same browser that is backported to OS5. Just in a full ARM system, it tends to have a bit more fun with the capabilities of the hardware.

Pipe dream on my end maybe, but sure nuff would make a nice run of things.

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    as I stated earlier...
    eWeek is reporting that both Dell and Palm (formerly PalmOne) are readying new devices to be released as early as next week. Dell is rumored by be planning an updated Axim X50v that includes VoIP and WM5, and will be calling it the Axim X51v. It is expected the device will cost $424. On the Palm side of things it is rumored Palm will be releasing a replacement for the Tungsten T5, rumored to be the Tungsten X. The Tungsten X is expected to run Palm OS 5.4.9 with a 312 MHz processor, 320x480 pixel screen, WiFi, Bluetooth, and expected to cost $349. Also, it is rumored that Palm may introduce a new device in its Zire line.

None of these sound like a Treo to me...
    Treos are not announced the same time as Tungstens and Zires (as per the last few model cycles).

thanks Antoine, thats my point. Someone is telling us in these threads to expect the Treo to be announced then and my information says no it will not. Imaybe wrong but if so then so be it.
    Since Palm is rumored to announce 2 new PDAs, then they can't announce a Treo? I didn't realize this was some sort of law.....did anyone else?

Dood, just wait and let's see what happens. If a few weeks pass and still no news, THEN you can chastize Sam all you want. But if you recall the last time that everyone around here beat up on someone sharing information, the information turned out to be true and everyone that chastized them looked foolish.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Wildstrom's column on technology says Palm will soon announce a Treo running WM5. He writes they'll sell Treos with both OS's for the foreseeable future, but that Windows will eventually dominate.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...6583_tc081.htm
    That article was interesting in highlighting that Palm did indeed attempt to buy back PalmSource. The other bidders drove the price too high though.

Now what ***** originally thought splitting the company was such a brilliant idea?
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    Since Palm is rumored to announce 2 new PDAs, then they can't announce a Treo? I didn't realize this was some sort of law.....did anyone else?
    Not a law, just what has happened. Reference last year, then slowly open up to what can happen this year.

Antoine's right - I don't think Palm (or Handspring before them) announced new PDA's and smartphones at the same time - wouldn't want one to overshadow the other.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    what your saying about a dual ealease is logical, but that doesn't mean that's what will happen-

Palm belives they have three different product categories - maybe they will anounce 1 for each -- Phone, PDA, mobile manager (Life Drive).

Truthfully, I don't think this to be the case - but it is possible....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.